Calories burned at work

Options
Hey guys!

I have a question, and I would looove some opinions!

Okay, so I started a new job at Fed Ex Ground. My shift consists of scanning packages that come off the trucks and onto the belts and through out the building. According to standards, I should be scanning 1000 boxes an hour, but I am new so I am probably doing half of that. I also must move boxes around, pick them up, stack them, all sorts of things. I am constantly on my feet, and always moving. Sometimes its more strenuous since I am hauling around boxes, and other other times I'm just scanning.
My shift is only about 3.5 hours long, 3 hours of which I'd only like to count for "exercise." I don't think I should just change my life style calorie burn, since my shift is so short, even if I do work 5 days a week, and the rest of the day I am pretty sedentary aside what exercise I can muster up to do.
I have a HRM but I can't bring it in due to security and metal detectors and theft issues.

So this is what I'm wondering, how many calories should I put as my job calorie burn?

What I come up with seems like a lot but I'm not sure! And here is a list of things that have to do with what I do from the Database.
Cleaning light - 180m - 456c
Moving - carrying boxes - 180m - 1276c
Walking 2.5mph - 180m - 547c

It all just seriously sounds like too much! Bah, any help please!! :D

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Maybe just change your lifestyle to "lightly active" that will make up for the part of the day you are doing all that work and for the part of the day where you are sedentary.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think there's an entry for light calisthenics...that could account for the intermittent nature of your lifting, etc.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think there's an entry for light calisthenics...that could account for the intermittent nature of your lifting, etc.
    This one sounds legit, Bri. :)
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    People may not agree, but I'd skip entering anything for work, and enter whatever you do for actual "exercise." I understand you're burning calories while working, but I'd only think of those as bonus calories. Seems like counting work as exercise might give you an excuse to skip a workout. Not saying that's completely horrible, but these are just my thoughts.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options

So this is what I'm wondering, how many calories should I put as my job calorie burn?

What I come up with seems like a lot but I'm not sure! And here is a list of things that have to do with what I do from the Database.
    Cleaning light - 180m - 456c
    Moving - carrying boxes - 180m - 1276c
    Walking 2.5mph - 180m - 547c

It all just seriously sounds like too much! Bah, any help please!! :D

Choose any of the three you want, because they are all going to be wrong anyway. Changing your 'lifestyle' to 'lightly active' from sedentary is probably the closest one, but anything other than wearing a 24/7 monitor is going to be an inaccurate guess at best.

What I would probably do would be change from sedentary to lightly active, then not eat back exercise calories. Of course, I'd be lost in this whole calorie counter thing without my FIT....
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Change your lifestyle.