Heart Rate Monitors/Calories Burned?

Options
This might be a dumb question, but those that use a heart monitor, does your HM tell you your calories burned or how does that work??

And if so, what is the best HM to get? I've been thinking about getting one...Thanks for your help!

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6.... it does tell me the calories burned. From what I hear anything Polar is awesome =)
  • missana221
    missana221 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes they do!
    Alot of people reccomend getting Polar HRM however they are fairly expensive! However i have a Sportline and alot of people do to and I love it!!
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and it does tell calories burned. The most popular ones seem to be Polar FT4 and Polar FT7,
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It tells you how many calories you've burned, but it's just an estimate at the end of the day. It will probably be more accurate than MFP estimates or cardio machine calculations, and may very well be pretty darn accurate, but it's not like infallible words of the gods or anything.

The ones that lets you input your own VO2max and HR max will tend to be more accurate; however, if you don't get your VO2 max and max HR rate tested at a lab, then that's a moot point. Do get one with a chest strap, though.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline with a chest strap and so far it's been wonderful!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar F6. One of the best investments I've ever made. On a side note...a lot of people forget to subtract their BMR calories from calories burned when they exercise which causes them to go over. Just an FYI
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind u get. I have the new balance n4 with the chest strap and it allows me to enter my age weight height so that it give the most accurate calorie burn
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had the Sportline watch. But recently upgraded to the Polar FT4. I got it from Amazon for around $60. A little more but since I use it every day, I figured it was worth it to spend more.

The 2 models I have both registered same heart rate, however the Polar calculates my calories burned as lower. I was surprised by the difference.

I only use my Polar now and will probably never own anything but. It also works with my treadmill which is an added bonus for me.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    HRM that monitor constantly give a much more accurate reading of calories. Usually these ones have a chest band with them. The others approximate calories or don't do them at all. I tried Timex's - no good. Now I have a Garmin and a Polar, both are GREAT!
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    :glasses: I have that one to. I really like it also