Body Fat %

Options
How do you find out your body fat %? Besides going to the gym and using the handheld they have, is there a way you can do it at home?

Replies

• ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think theres a calibrater. I've seen them squeeze the back of your arm and do some calculation. Sorry not much help
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Most universities will have a program where you can go do a Bod Pod...it's much more accurate than the caliper pinch test. And all you have to do is sit in a little machine for a few minutes. Usually costs about $20
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    At home you can buy a scale that will read it. It uses biometric impedence, the same thing as the handhelds at the gym. BMI is the least accurate of body fat measurements (and, amusingly, has same acronym as body mass index - don't confuse the two, lol).
    There are also skin fold calipers. These are more accurate when used by somebody who has training. They measure 4-5 areas (arm, thigh, waist, hip, I know I'm forgetting something) and calculate it from that.

I think the at-home scale is a reasonable way to track it, especially to see if it is going down or not, but it won't give you a super-accurate reading of where you are.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Here is how, read "How To Measure Your Body Fat % Using Calipers":

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a scale that tells me my body fat % :) "Withings" is the name :bigsmile:
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here is how, read "How To Measure Your Body Fat % Using Calipers":

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html

This, google it. There are a few different sites that provide the same info as well as some forms to fill out that do the work for you. IMO scales that try to calculate BFP are garbage. I've never owned one that was even remotely accurate. My current scale tells me regularly that I'm around 30% percent... the reality I can say with certainty is ~12.

Aside from the body pod mentioned already calipers are going to be you best bet, use a formula that takes several measurement points 3+ and repeat each point until you measurement is pretty standard.
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    How do you find out your body fat %? Besides going to the gym and using the handheld they have, is there a way you can do it at home?

Google naval body fat calculator. It's rough but will come close in many instances.