Ideas for Tilapia!

Options
Im not a fish eater! I like canned tuna and thats about it! But I would like to learn to love the frozen Tilapia fillets I have that are so low in fat an calories. Not to mention all the nutrition I hear is in fish. Need some good ideas or recipes on how to prepare it. How do you prepare yours? What side dishes do you make with fish?? Thanks!

Replies

• wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
  • r3451
    r3451 Posts: 19
    Options
    Grilled on cedar planks! I hit it lightly with a lemon/garlic/olive oil mix. If you've never used cedar planks before, make sure you soak them completely submerged for at least 8 hours or you will have a COMPLETE grill disaster on your hands. LOL
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you search these message boards you'll find lots of threads about tilapia. It's popular. :) I've used it to make fish tacos. Yummy and easy.
  • KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have tried them in tacos and that was a hit, I wish I could like lemon but for some reason find it gross. Sadly because most fish recipes I find include lemon!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    12 Green olives - chopped
    1/2 small onion - chopped
    * spray non-stick into oven proof dish, place 2x fish pieces in dish cover with tomatoes, olives, onion salt & pepper. Bake in oven 15 min +/- till its flaky. I serve it with a green salad and brown rice. Just had it last night!! YummY!

BTW - This is a bigest loser recipie from the family cookbook!
  • KristynStephens15
    Options
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    12 Green olives - chopped
    1/2 small onion - chopped
    * spray non-stick into oven proof dish, place 2x fish pieces in dish cover with tomatoes, olives, onion salt & pepper. Bake in oven 15 min +/- till its flaky. I serve it with a green salad and brown rice. Just had it last night!! YummY!

BTW - This is a bigest loser recipie from the family cookbook!

This sounds amazing! And no lemon!!! =]

Anyone ever used Tilapia in place of tuna on a tuna fish type sandwich??
  • jules518
    jules518 Posts: 6
    Options
    Simple recipe is just put in foil, spray with some olive oil and put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 425.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have tried them in tacos and that was a hit, I wish I could like lemon but for some reason find it gross. Sadly because most fish recipes I find include lemon!

Promise, you don't taste the lemon. lol We actually substituted lime juice the first time we made it.
  • viola5618
    viola5618 Posts: 9
    Options
    I love talapia! :-) I don't eat heavy fish, grew up on the mississippi and i don't eat catfish.
    with that said there are tons of ways to cook it. try baking it with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary.
    If you grill it make sure you put down foil. with grilling I like littlen bit of olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning,
    make a home made fish stick
    or you could get gordmans talapia filets in the frozen food and cook those, nice when you're busy.
  • KristynStephens15
    Options

Promise, you don't taste the lemon. lol We actually substituted lime juice the first time we made it.

Maybe Ill try that. I dont mind lime nearly as much in recipes as I do lemon.
  • kirsteinm
    kirsteinm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whatever seasoning you like then top it with Panko (doesn't take much) mixed with a tbsp of evoo and broil or bake it until the top is crunchy. Simple but amazing. Enjoy.
  • KristynStephens15
    Options
    Whatever seasoning you like then top it with Panko (doesn't take much) mixed with a tbsp of evoo and broil or bake it until the top is crunchy. Simple but amazing. Enjoy.

I do love crunchy! Thanks!