Kickboxing!!!

Options
Does anyone do it on here? I'm about to buy my first ever punching bag and get punching! I've never done it before, and I intend to go to a couple of lessons to learn some basic moves. Is there anyone who does it and could offer some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do it but not at home. I do it at a dojo. It's a fun calorie burning workout! And, I feel so energized when I'm done.. not to mention more patient!
    Have fun!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to get started, lets just hope I'm not going to hurt myself! :laugh:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'll try reposting, maybe will get more response? :tongue:
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I guess there's just us 2 that punch away :)
    I was thinking, you could always buy a dvd, something like Billy Banks or similar and do the workout using the punching bag. You can kick it and punch it.. oh.. is it one you hang or one standing. I guess you could only kick a standing one... I'm sure you could find a dvd or even online punching workout.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing rocks! I used to do muay tai until I moved a year ago.
    Getting yourself a couple of lessons is a brilliant idea because you really can hurt yourself if you dont do it right - I had to have my ankle reconstructed in my early 20's from kicking the bag wrongly and hyper extending the muscle.
    When you punch, make a good fist and make contact with your first and second knuckle. And when you kick you swing from the hip to give you more power.
    Its way too hard to give advice over the net though. Find somewhere that you can get a couple of lessons and go from there.
    Its so much fun and a really great stress relief, not to mention a great work out.
    Good luck with it!
  • c2jvintage
    c2jvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I definitely would recommend taking a class. I do kickboxing and MMA classes at a local gym. They are actually training you to fight with the correct technique, not just for a cardio workout. I think this makes it even more fun!!!!!! It is addicting and a great way to get out some anger. :) If you choose to take it at a gym that specializes in martial arts, be warned that not many women are in the classes (at least from my experience) LOL. But I think that makes it even better. let me know what you decide to do. Good Luck!