Crystal Light?

Options
It has to be better than drinking high calorie juices or sodas, right? Just wondering what everyone's opinions on the issue were. I really don't enjoy plain water, and although I am getting better about drinking more of it, I am looking for something to help me make the transition. Never been a huge pop drinker, so giving that up isn't an issue. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Most herbal teas taste good hot or cold so are a good way of getting water into yourself without the burden of worrying about sugar/calories.

I have no idea what Crystal Light is.
  • meagmatt
    meagmatt Posts: 17
    Options
    I try and do 50/50. I make myself drink a glass of water first and then allow myself something with a sweetener if I need it to keep drinking.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    It has to be better than drinking high calorie juices or sodas, right? Just wondering what everyone's opinions on the issue were. I really don't enjoy plain water, and although I am getting better about drinking more of it, I am looking for something to help me make the transition. Never been a huge pop drinker, so giving that up isn't an issue. Thanks in advance!

No it really is not. IF there is artifical sweetners in it they are just as bad. Your better off gettting a 100% real fruit juice and adding a tablespoon or two to your water for flavor
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i use crystal light. I pour only half a packet into a large gallon of water. it gives it a little flavor so it doesnt taste like plain water and it doesnt have calories. Drink away!!!! =)
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    Walmart brand (great value) has a lot of different options too. im not big on plain water either (unless im just super thirsty) so i add those to water in order to get my daily intake. theyre low calorie and really good. i say theyre fine. it is flavored WATER, u just need to remember to add those calories, sodium, etc into ur food diary also. =o)
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I myself have to do the lesser of two evil... so i drink crystal light and all those other sugar free ones too...
  • krisbeaver
    krisbeaver Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it through out my entire weight loss journey and it hasn't prevented me from losing weight. I don't go overboard with it, but I do have a couple of glasses a day. My favorite is the pink lemonaid..mmm.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Wild-Strawberry-10-Packets-Drink-Mix-1.13-oz/11303905

the walmart brand has only calories, no sugars, sodium etc. crystal light does have sodium and sugars though. id check out the great value brand. hope this helps
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Just because it does not have calories does not mean it is good for you
  • emmydawnsmom
    emmydawnsmom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet pepsi like water and stopped April 18th. I drink ice water all the time now and hated it at first. I was drinking the mixes like Crystal Light and Great Value, but now they are too sweet for me. I think if you drank the occasionally it would not hurt. I do not think however drinking them all the time is a great idea. Artificial Sweeteners can cause Metabolic syndrome among other things. If you trying to ween yourself off of sugary drinks then maybe this would help with that, but truly water is the best. I had to find a water I liked because some bottled water has after taste and I just do not like but I have found a filter for my kitchen sink and now I drink water all the time. Good Luck in your journey.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal, but then I don't have the fear of artificial sweeteners that many folks around here exhibit. If it gets you to drink more water and you're not sensitive to aspartame, and don't have a big sweet tooth then there's really not a big issue with it. Crystal Light usually has around 5 calories per serving, so keep track of those calories.

If your goal is to eventually get down to plain water, try diluting the Crystal Light over a few weeks. First make it full strength, then use one 2qt packet to make 3qts, then use 1 2qt packet to make a gallon, and so on. You'll eventually find yourself satisfied with less flavoring in the water.

If your water just tastes bad, then consider buying a Brita or other water filter. I have this one which holds over a gallon: http://www.bing.com/shopping/35530-brita-ultramax-smart-ob24-144-ounce-water-dispenser/p/8B9429164F89954AC364?q=35530+Brita+UltraMax+SMART+OB24+144-Ounce+Water+Dispenser&lpf=0&lpq=brita&FORM=ENCA1&lppc=15.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    it ONLY has calories, no sugars or anything else in it. @ least that's according to the label. but i mean ppl look @ stuff differently so, its up to u hun. if ure not gonna drink water otherwise, id say add em. :)
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    As I expected, you will get varying replies to a question like this.

Some people are pro eating very healthy. No artificial sweeteners, preservatives or processed anything. Obviously, they are going to say a product like Crystal Light is not good for you. And from their point of view, they are correct.

But . . .

There are others on here who were not big water drinkers before. They lived on coffee, soda, etc. and rarely got the recommended 8 glasses of water into their bodies each day. Of course, they are going to say any water, is better then no water, even if it is sweetened with a product like Crystal Light. And they too would be correct from their point of view.

I personally think this is the sort of thing where you have to draw your own conclusion. What is better for you? Do you want to eat a clean diet, or are you more concerned with keeping your body hydrated?

Michelle
  • christina41139
    Options
    The great value ones are really good...I drink those. U cant really tell that they are sugar free. I like lemon in my water too. My dr. said that was really good to drink when trying to lose weight is lemon water and no soda pop.
  • beanowl
    beanowl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am totally fine with plain water, but I started buying crystal light because my SO loves drinking lemonade, and the stuff he drinks is loaded with sugar and calories (we are both trying to be healthier). I know it has aspartame, but I'm thinking a bit of that is probably better than the alternative. Maybe.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I use those kinds of products sometimes....they taste good and keep me drinking more water. No.. probably not terribly healthy. But I have never been a water drinker, so if it keeps me drinking it I think its a good thing. Some mixes even have some vitamins.....bonus!
  • mfalgier
    mfalgier Posts: 8
    Options
    I like Crystal Light, but usually mom makes it and I never drink it. However, I found Mojito flavor so now I'm excited again :)
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No it really is not. IF there is artifical sweetners in it they are just as bad. Your better off gettting a 100% real fruit juice and adding a tablespoon or two to your water for flavor

I'm guilty of drinking diet soda pretty regularly, but I agree with you about the juice thing. It tastes soooo much better than crystal light and the like! There used to be a brand I can't remember the name of it, but you could find it in convenience stores, the bottle was kind of squarish, and it was really water with a few drops of real fruit juice. Nothing else. And it was awesome.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I drink like 3 a day, Idgaf. Does it fit into your calorie goal? If yes, then go for it! :) is it better than drink a 150 calorie can of soda? Hell yeah. Plus... It's delicious! :)
  • Misalayne
    Misalayne Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with drinking plain ice water, but sometimes I get sick of it. It's funny this topic came up tonight though because our store had Chrystal Light on sale, so I bought some. YES! I'm glad there's an alternative to water and diet soda! :-)