Cinema Munchies?

Options
Hi,

My hubby and I are going to the cinema tonight to watch Transformers. He's planning on having ice-cream as he's able to have loads more calories than me. I'd like a treat too, I've lost 12lb in my first few weeks and have been so 'in the zone' I've surprised even myself.

So, does anyone have suggestions for something nice to have during the film, that's reasonably low in calories yet yummy?

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Salted popcorn isn't high in calories (unless they load it up on butter), but I remember from Weight Watchers that's what we were always recommended "points-wise". But be wary of a sodium-related temporary gain. Or FroYo if your cinema do it (most Ben and Jerry's stalls in the UK offer it!).
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    frozen grapes are great! low cal crisp and unsweatened pop-corn with diet coke!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Put a ziploc of carrots in your purse :) Carrots or grapes or celery or a 100 cal snack pack.
  • skshep
    skshep Posts: 30
    Options
    I went to the movies with my son last week to see Cars2 & I ordered a popcorn (no butter) for him and just took my own small paper bag. Once we were seated I took out my portion in my own bag so that I could keep track of how much I ate. I ended up only having about 200 calories and didn't feel like I was missing out on the fun with my family :)
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I normally take a couple of packets of Butterkist toffee popcorn in with me. The wee snack bags are 125 calories each so I figure 250 cals for 2 is not going to hurt me and also I don't feel like I'm missing out :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd approach this differently. Rather than perpetuate an unhealthy habit of mindlessly snacking while watching a movie or sitting in front of the TV, why not make an evening of it? Either go for dinner before the movie or go to get a small snack following the movie. You'll have a much better selection of foods available to you and be focused on what you're eating so it's easier to control portions and you'll actually enjoy what you're eating.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am pretty sure I have never been to a movie and NOT had Reese's Pieces.....until last week. We went to see Hangover 2 and all I had was a diet soda while hubby had popcorn loaded with butter. The temptation was HORRIBLE. Its almost like I felt I was forgetting something, but it felt good to leave and not have to feel guilty about all those calories. Next time I might take a 100 calorie pack in my purse or something. I am setting new norms for myself and it feels great.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Make some air popped popcorn with a few sprays of spray butter and sprinkle with some garlic powder and a grated Parmesan cheese. Cut up your favorite fruit and/or veggies, put them into a baggie, and then put all of your goodies into a big purse and enjoy!
  • sduralia
    sduralia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The Eat This, Not That book has the following suggestions for the movies. Baked Pretzel without the cheese sauce ( you can subsitute mustard for zero calories) at under 300 calories, Good & Plenty candies around 130 calories, Junior Mints (my favorite) 170 calories, Kit Kat 200 calories for reg size, or Swedish Fish 200 cal. Sometimes I find other better ideas, but I like having a game plan before I go somewhere. Have fun at the movies!
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'd go for dinner beforehand, then for dessert i'd eat grapes in the cinema. I also take water to drink instead of sodas.
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of bringing a little bag so you can take a small portion of your hubby's popcorn (without the butter).
    When I go to the movies, I usually bring along my own little 100 calorie bar of dark chocolate (Trader Joes). Cut up jicama is sweet, crunchy and has fiber so it feels like I am seriously snacking but without damaging my calorie count.
  • kblau
    kblau Posts: 38
    Options
    you could bring tupperware full of fruit, mini veggies, or healthy crackers. I usually pop my own popcorn at home (Newman's Own or similar) and bring that. have fun tonight!