Hidden health!

slimdownspicey
slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
edited September 29 in Recipes
I cook dinner for my boyfriend a lot but he refuses to eat anything openly healthy - ie. most veggies, salads, anything whole grain, and he won't eat fish. When we eat pasta it has to be regular white pasta (no whole wheat for him!) - I'm getting tired of choosing between sacrificing my diet or having to make separate ingredients (2 types of pasta, 2 types of wraps, etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Tell your boyfriend to eat what you eat or make his own food. You aren't his mother, and even if you were...my mom never changed what she cooked because my sister and I went vegetarian. He's a big boy, he'll get over it or he'll make his own food.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    OK, I'm married and not a cook, but my attitude is, "Don't like it, then make something yourself"!! My hubby wasn't crazy about the whole grain pastas either, but I jsut keep buying them and if he wants pasta that's what he gets unless he feels like going ot the store and buying something else. They taste between the 2 isn't very different anyway. Also, you could try making things from the cookbook called "The Sneaky Chef". It is a way to cook things and hide healthy foods into them. It is meant for kids but it would work for anyone!!!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Tell your boyfriend to eat what you eat or make his own food. You aren't his mother, and even if you were...my mom never changed what she cooked because my sister and I went vegetarian. He's a big boy, he'll get over it or he'll make his own food.

This. Seriously who openly won't eat something just because it's healthy?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Get a new bf haha just kidding, I am pescetarian (only eat fish) and my fiance is well......a man. At any rate I do end up cooking separate meals, it's not that bad, but I also sneak stuff in on him anyway, if he wants to eat differently than you then let him cook for himself or just give him easy stuff he wants, mac n cheese is always easy, and stuff like that.
  • hosment
    hosment Posts: 12
    Quite right! It isn't fair that he's expecting you to cook for him and then cater for his every whim. He should respect that you're trying to eat healthily and either do the same or feed himself. It can be hard to make changes like this but it sounds like time to put your foot down!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Tell him you're not a short order cook and he had two choices: 1) eat what is prepared for him or 2) make his own meals.
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Make it and don't tell him!! I made healthy lasagna (whole wheat noodles, low fat sauce, ect.) and did not tell my husband and he never knew!! He ate it and told me it was really good lasagna. Once I told him it was better for him than regular lasagna he said that he would try more healthy things if it tasted like this. And I agree with the person ahead of me. Don't bother making him anything special, you are not a short order cook!!
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    When we got whole wheat pasta, my dad and brother weren't thrilled about it. But they ended up eating it when it was cooked and didn't mind it one bit! I don't think there is much of a flavor change, just a color and health change!

I also agree with the "if you won't eat it make something yourself". We had to do that with my brother when he was younger. When he got tired of the constant bologna sandwiches, he eventually started trying the things we made and ended up loving some of it!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    I dated a guy similar to that. Here's what I did:

- Get the Barillia Plus pasta. It's in a yellow box in the regular pasta section. It's basically whole wheat pasta that looks, tastes, and cooks like white. He'll never know the difference.
    - If he's not allergic to veggies, then sneak them in. If you're having spaghetti, throw the jar of sauce in a good processor and add extra veggies.
    - If he's not an active participant in the grocery shopping & cooking, then you've got a ton of room. Going with the spaghetti, there's "meat" balls from Veggie Patch that look and taste close enough to real meat balls. But they're made from veggies.

http://www.thesneakychef.com/ isn't a bad place to look. They've got recipes geared towards mom's hiding good stuff from kids.

ETA: It's a lot easier to tel someone to bugger off and make their own food. But I assume you're in a relationship with this guy because you genuinely like him. So I won't advise you to tell him to "deal or gtfo." My current boyfriend and I aren't totally on the same food wavelength. I'm vegetarian, he's not. When I make dinner, I make it vegetarian but I will cook him a steak or something on the side. Making that steak takes all of 3 minutes on the George Forman and keeps everybody happy. If the bulk of the dinner is a shared, healthy meal, maybe you can consider having one separate element that he'll love.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    I don't know where you're located but here in Canada we have Catelli Smart Pasta in a purple box that has all the fibre benefits of whole wheat pasta but tastes like regular white pasta.

Or tell him to cook for himself.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Just slowing introduce healthy stuff into your dinners and don't make a big deal about it.

Plus Dreamfields pasta is healthier but tastes just like regular pasta :)
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    you guys are so right...i think it's cause he's so annoyingly cute about it...it's also a semi-new relationship (6 months) so i don't want to mess things up but he loves my cooking and if he wants to eat it he has to eat veggies

i'm just going to have to throw him out of the kitchen so he doesn't see the whole grains!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    My bf and I were hesitant to try the whole wheat pasta, but once we gave it a whirl we found we actually liked it better than regular pasta. Same with brown rice vs. white rice. I think we were just worried about it because we didn't want our comfort foods to taste too "weird".
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    This sounds harsh but it rings of immaturity if he won't eat ANYTHING healthy. There are several things going on here. First, he needs to be supportive of your life choices and visa versa. That means that while you shouldn't refuse to ever eat white pasta the same should go for him. Also, his choices shouldn't get in the way of your healthy journey. If he's smart he'll realize that eventually he's going to need to eat well for his health. But in the mean time he just needs to not get in your way.
  • I hide it!

My BF hates cheaper brands of food so I tell him it was the exspensive brand when really its the value brand and he NEVER guesses,

So just dont tell him!

Lie about it and say you have decided he needs to have his own dinners as hes not the one on the diet but then serve him the same as you and yourl soon see hel have no idea its different,

I think its cos a male pride thing they want big meat not low fat whole wheat pasta

I cant taste the difference between them
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    OK, I'm married and not a cook, but my attitude is, "Don't like it, then make something yourself"!! My hubby wasn't crazy about the whole grain pastas either, but I jsut keep buying them and if he wants pasta that's what he gets unless he feels like going ot the store and buying something else. They taste between the 2 isn't very different anyway. Also, you could try making things from the cookbook called "The Sneaky Chef". It is a way to cook things and hide healthy foods into them. It is meant for kids but it would work for anyone!!!!
    That's what happens at my house. I cook one dinner and if my kids don't want to eat it they will be hungry. They never miss a meal because most of the time they don't even notice that I have slipped something healthy in there. If they do notice they normally eat it anyway. My husband on the other hand will sneak a pb&j later when the kids aren't looking.
This discussion has been closed.