Benefits of drinking water upon waking

Options
A few days ago I heard that drinking about 16 oz of luke warm water or more, on an empty stomach in the morning helps aid digestion, especially constipation. Although I drink plenty of water during the day as well as eat lots of fiber, I still need other aids like fiber & other supplements, prunes etc. to get me going. I stopped those extras and just tried the water for the last few days and it actually works. It has something to do with rehydrating your insides after a night's sleep with no water. You aren't supposed to drink coffee or eat anything for about 45 minutes. This is a great home remedy, especially in these times of financial crisis and having to cut back. I'll be happy to save $$ on all those supplements if this keeps working.

I've also read that this helps with weight loss and speeds the metabolism. The weight loss must be tied to the elimating factor. The metabolism may or may not be an urban legend.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Mely

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A few days ago I heard that drinking about 16 oz of luke warm water or more, on an empty stomach in the morning helps aid digestion, especially constipation. Although I drink plenty of water during the day as well as eat lots of fiber, I still need other aids like fiber & other supplements, prunes etc. to get me going. I stopped those extras and just tried the water for the last few days and it actually works. It has something to do with rehydrating your insides after a night's sleep with no water. You aren't supposed to drink coffee or eat anything for about 45 minutes. This is a great home remedy, especially in these times of financial crisis and having to cut back. I'll be happy to save $$ on all those supplements if this keeps working.

I've also read that this helps with weight loss and speeds the metabolism. The weight loss must be tied to the elimating factor. The metabolism may or may not be an urban legend.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Mely
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I found the same proble, also if I don't drink enough water per day, I get huge migrains - got one now - been soooo busy at work, that I've had no chance to drink properly :cry:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, I know that I don't drink nearly enough water and I have a big problem with not being able to go but about once a week. I'm definitely going to give this a try. My weight hasn't budged at all this week and I'm sure not going to the bathroom may have something to do with it!
    :frown:
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that! I have the same problems. I am one of those that sleep until the last moment and live 2.5 miles away from work so I will need to get up a little bit earlier but it is worth it. Thanks... I'll let you know if it works for me also. :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    ok...going to try this. have a bottle right here next to my bed!:happy: :tongue:
  • Vilma
    Vilma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I will try this also. I breastfeed the baby in the middle of the night so I am sure the body is dehydrated by the time I get up. Thanks for the tip, cheers (with water of course) :drinker: :laugh:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You may not see immediate results but stick with it. The first day, I didn't see resuls until the afternoon. The next couple of days, I had results within a few hours. You still need to eat enough fiber during the day, drink enough water and excercise.

Post results!