The Right Mindset Vs the Wrong Mindset in Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    "The right mindset" really comes down to the quality of your motivation and the clarity of your goals. If your motivation is something along the lines of "I want to be a size x" or "I'm going on vacation, getting married, etc. and want to look nice in those pictures or that bikini or that wedding gown", that's pretty weak motivation for making any sort of lasting change.

If your motivation is more along the lines of wanting to lower your blood pressure, decrease your risk of cancer and diabetes, generally feel stronger, have more than enough energy to keep up with your grandchildren, set a good example for your children so they won't jeopardize their health because they learned poor habits from you, etc., then you're more likely to make permanent changes.

*Thinking about this*
    I'm sure that short term goals like the first paragraph are important on achieving long term ones in the second.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    "The right mindset" really comes down to the quality of your motivation and the clarity of your goals. If your motivation is something along the lines of "I want to be a size x" or "I'm going on vacation, getting married, etc. and want to look nice in those pictures or that bikini or that wedding gown", that's pretty weak motivation for making any sort of lasting change.

If your motivation is more along the lines of wanting to lower your blood pressure, decrease your risk of cancer and diabetes, generally feel stronger, have more than enough energy to keep up with your grandchildren, set a good example for your children so they won't jeopardize their health because they learned poor habits from you, etc., then you're more likely to make permanent changes.

*Thinking about this*
    I'm sure that short term goals like the first paragraph are important on achieving long term ones in the second.

I think short-term goals are important and can help you keep your motivation up. And changing over from weight-loss to fitness goals like you've done, I think is another part of the right mindset.

For permanent weight-loss, I agree with the article, that your mindset has to be more about health and understanding that it is a lifestyle change. Don't put the weight loss on a timetable, just do the right things day-to-day and the weight will come off.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is very true, in the past Ive tried sites like this and failed because the results weren't fast enough and logging was time consuming, tedious, and often frustrating. I would have a particularly frustrating day of logging and say screw it I'm done and that would be the end of it.

This time around I have noticed a much different mindset, it's almost like something triggered in my head. I'm more patient and remind myself every day this is going to take a year+ before I reach my goal and after my goal for the rest of my life I'll need to use this as a method to keep my habits in check. You have to have commitment to get through the hard days and the disappointments.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Definitely MFP is great for changing mindsets - people here who have had good success stories have had them over long periods of time and they are happy to share with others.... And having friends on here keeps you in the right mindset.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds in the last 7 months.....I frankly do not care that much. I have 5 more pounds and I will probably need 3-4 months....again, I do not care. I am feeling better and better everyday.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So, where can I get "the right mindset" ? :laugh:

I'm not that excited by the article to be honest.

I think you totally underestimate the desire to look hot as a motivator, lol.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds in the last 7 months.....I frankly do not care that much. I have 5 more pounds and I will probably need 3-4 months....again, I do not care. I am feeling better and better everyday.

If you do not care then why post a response?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I question the sustainability of that motivation. Once you find out that life is not all that much better simply because you look hot, that it didn't change your entire your life, make you rich, bring you the faithful and undying love of the man of your dreams and solve all your problems, it's a lot less motivating. Yes, I was young once, too. LOL
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    Cant possibly reply to the above without moving into sarcastic verging on ridiculous mode.

Suffice to say that I hotness can bring you both wealth and happiness if you are sufficiently manipulative and superficial :)
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options

If you do not care then why post a response?

I think Yanicka was actually agreeing with the article. (Right?) Saying that the time it takes to lose the weight is less important than feeling better.
  • MissMandy1010
    MissMandy1010 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    great read, very inspiring. I like to think I had the right mindset. Guess only time will tell!!! :-)
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great inspirational article. I appreciate you for sharing. ::flowerforyou:
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I think the article is great, but I disagree with this comment......things are not so black and white. Many things, desires and emotions can motivate us to make lasting change. The idea of looking better is a powerful motivator, as long as people are taking a realistic road to their health and weight loss, the motivation does not negate the hard work.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    :smile: bumping for later read
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I question the sustainability of that motivation. Once you find out that life is not all that much better simply because you look hot, that it didn't change your entire your life, make you rich, bring you the faithful and undying love of the man of your dreams and solve all your problems, it's a lot less motivating. Yes, I was young once, too. LOL

you misunderstand me. I am 43 so not young either.i am fully aware that "looking hot' won't bring you anything other than looking hot and I have been with the same man since I was 16 so it's no tlike I am out on the market but for me, looking hot is very gratifying in and of itself!