Losing weight and lifting.

Options
I started at 240-245 and I'm down to 210. Im 39 @ 5'11". My M-F routine is get home from work. Lift for about 30 mins and run about 15 - 30 mins. Then I go home, eat dinner, hang out a bit then go back and run another 15-30. I try to burn about 400 cals in cardio and stick close to my daily goal at days end. My lifting is around 3 sets of 10 reps. Various types. I do half body Mon then other half Tues. Weds I usually stick to cardio then repeat Thurs and Fri. Weekends I might run down to gym in the morning and do a 15 min run.

Anyways I'm holding steady at 210 for a few weeks now. Anywhere between 207-211. With this routine could I be adding muscle and still losing fat or am I simply at a wall? I'd like to think the 1st but not getting my hopes up too much. I'm doing Whey protein on my lifting days.

Any suggestions or should I be happy where I'm at and assume I'm still losing fat and the muscle gain is evening it out? Im just trying to decide if I want to step it up a notch and keep doin what I'm doin.

Thanks

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat! don't worry about the scales, take measurements of BF% and measure your muscles, if you are down in both, does it matter?
    I gained 7 pounds the last 2 weeks, lost inch in gut, and 2 percent body fat...

let me know if you need help
    Tim
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A good way to tell if you're losing fat and gaining muscle is by doing body measurements. My weight was staying consistent, but I was losing inches due to building lean muscle and losing fat.

You could also try to increase your cardio, or maybe do something different from running like swimming or riding a bike, etc. to stimulate different muscle groups.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Time to kick it up a notch...You are plateaued! A dreaded word none of us on the weight loss journey like to hear. But, I've been there a few times and it truly sucks. What your body is doing is adjusting to the norm, a schedule that its use to and diet that it is getting use to. You have to consistently change things up. The professionals suggest every 2 to 3 weeks change up your exercise routine and even your diet to keep your body guessing. I just broke through a plateau myself by doing just that. So when the next plateau comes and I guarantee it will come I will be ready to take it to the next level. So bump all your exercise up a notch, switch up your diet a little, maybe a little less carbs wont hurt. And congratulations on your weight loss thus far, it is definitely an accomplishment you should be proud of. Best of luck to you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'd extend your cardio or lump it all together so that you're getting 45 - 60 minutes at a time instead of 2 sessions of 30 or a session of 15. Also, make sure you're eating your burn and take a good look at what you're eating to decrease additives and process and promote whole and raw foods.

Edit: also make sure that you're switching it up and doing something different every 6 weeks, there is definitely something to be said for muscle confusion.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    The routine sounds pretty good. My question is are you supporting your efforts with enough food. I'd need to see your diary.
    Sounds like you're burning a lot of calories. You should make sure your net calories are around 1800-2000 a day.
    I would guess you're burning around 5-800 daily and if you're not netting around 1800 you might be in starvation mode.
    I and 5'11, 45 and 175 lbs and when I want to lean I eat 1800 - 2200 and burn about 4-500 aday. When I burn more I eat more.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I'd extend your cardio or lump it all together so that you're getting 45 - 60 minutes at a time instead of 2 sessions of 30 or a session of 15. Also, make sure you're eating your burn and take a good look at what you're eating to decrease additives and process and promote whole and raw foods.

NO, NO, NO...cardio over 30 minutes burns muscle for fuel. Not what I'd suggest. 30 minute resistance and 30 minute cardio is perfect. I'd eliminate the later run unless like I said, you're not in starvation mode.
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read that it can about a year for a woman to add 5lbs of muscle doing hardcore workouts (which when you pick up a 5lb weight seems quite substantial compared to how you'd think of it on your body) and for men they can add up to 10lbs of muscle in a year.

Definately measure inches as well as weight as there can be a big difference in one but not the other - I have lost 22lbs but barely anything inch-wise although when putting it on 4-5inches round the waist was a 5stone weight gain...

Initial weight loss is visceral fat (inside fat around your organs) when your body burns fat for energy when given a calorie deficit they are the closest fat pockets to your vital organs and muscles so they will be the first your body eats up.
    Once you have lost most of the visceral fat you will find it much harder to lose the pounds - this is why when you're bigger the first stone or so will always come off pretty easily compared to the rest!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I started at 240-245 and I'm down to 210. Im 39 @ 5'11". My M-F routine is get home from work. Lift for about 30 mins and run about 15 - 30 mins. Then I go home, eat dinner, hang out a bit then go back and run another 15-30. I try to burn about 400 cals in cardio and stick close to my daily goal at days end. My lifting is around 3 sets of 10 reps. Various types. I do half body Mon then other half Tues. Weds I usually stick to cardio then repeat Thurs and Fri. Weekends I might run down to gym in the morning and do a 15 min run.

Anyways I'm holding steady at 210 for a few weeks now. Anywhere between 207-211. With this routine could I be adding muscle and still losing fat or am I simply at a wall? I'd like to think the 1st but not getting my hopes up too much. I'm doing Whey protein on my lifting days.

Any suggestions or should I be happy where I'm at and assume I'm still losing fat and the muscle gain is evening it out? Im just trying to decide if I want to step it up a notch and keep doin what I'm doin.

Thanks

You and I are almost the exact same height and weight. I started at 246 and am down to 220 and am also 5’11’’.

You could have built some muscle if your lifting intensity was high enough maybe around 5-6lbs in 6 months. I added 6lbs of muscle in 6 months on my calorie defict, but as I dropped below 30% body fat those gains started to slow drastically. Typically you need a calorie surplus to gain muscle but at high BF% it is possible for a short while. I would say just keep up what you are doing and pay close attention to your diet. I have went for several weeks without the scale changing but then eventually it starts dropping again. Just be persistent.
  • eillims13
    eillims13 Posts: 18
    Options
    This is just my personal experience:

Maybe vary your cardio a little bit more, maybe even do less of it. When I was running everyday for the same amount of time while not varying my speed very much, I stopped noticing results. I do Interval training now 2x a week for 20 minutes max either on the treadmill, stairmaster, or bike. It doesn't seem like a lot but I have lost more fat and gained more muscle by only doing this much cardio with a weight lifting routine.

Also, try varying the weight and number of reps and sets you are doing. Every 5-6 weeks I change up the weight/reps in my workout routine. I lift 4 days a week giving myself enough rest for muscle groups during the week.
    Keep your body guessing, and don't let it get comfortable.

I also eat more now than I ever did, which is a definate perk!

This is just what has worked very well for me, and a suggestion. I hope it helps!
  • End6ame
    Options
    This is just my personal experience:

Maybe vary your cardio a little bit more, maybe even do less of it. When I was running everyday for the same amount of time while not varying my speed very much, I stopped noticing results. I do Interval training now 2x a week for 20 minutes max either on the treadmill, stairmaster, or bike. It doesn't seem like a lot but I have lost more fat and gained more muscle by only doing this much cardio with a weight lifting routine.

Also, try varying the weight and number of reps and sets you are doing. Every 5-6 weeks I change up the weight/reps in my workout routine. I lift 4 days a week giving myself enough rest for muscle groups during the week.
    Keep your body guessing, and don't let it get comfortable.

I also eat more now than I ever did, which is a definate perk!

This is just what has worked very well for me, and a suggestion. I hope it helps!

The “change it up” idea is just marketing nonsense, if it works for you great, but it is not necessary. I was on the same program for over 6 months and continued to lose fat and gain strength. I will be on my current program for at least 3 months and my next program for at least a year.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think you probably have built some muscle. I was always sceptical of this argument with myself when I was strength training regularly, but since I stopped (c. 2 months ago) I have remained the exact same weight but gained inches. So obviously there is some truth in all that "muscle weighs more than fat" stuff.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also you didn't say if you have varied your weights, I'm assuming you have, but if you are lifting lower and upper body twice a week then you should be moving up weights at a fair pace.
  • eillims13
    Options
    "Marketing" nonsense? Sorry, but I'm not one that takes advice from diet fads and workout DVDS, more like weight lifting coaches and personal trainers that I have worked and trained with along with my own personal experience...

I'm guessing during those 6 months of doing the same exercises you at least tried to bump up your weights? Thats more of the kind of change I'm referring to...don't stay at the same weight when your lifting.

I have been doing the same weight lifting exercises for the last 4 months. The only thing I "change" is the amount of weight I use (prefer to have those numbers go up) and the number of reps.

Why wouldn't you want to improve that?
  • End6ame
    Options
    "Marketing" nonsense? Sorry, but I'm not one that takes advice from diet fads and workout DVDS, more like weight lifting coaches and personal trainers that I have worked and trained with along with my own personal experience...

I'm guessing during those 6 months of doing the same exercises you at least tried to bump up your weights? Thats more of the kind of change I'm referring to...don't stay at the same weight when your lifting.

I have been doing the same weight lifting exercises for the last 4 months. The only thing I "change" is the amount of weight I use (prefer to have those numbers go up) and the number of reps.

Why wouldn't you want to improve that?

Sorry, my fault. I interpreted it as changing routines/programs. Absolutely increase weight. I increased my each workout session.
  • eillims13
    Options
    Phew! Glad we are on the same page :flowerforyou:

How much cardio do you do? And...do you find that doing more cardio affects how much your weights go up?
  • End6ame
    Options
    Phew! Glad we are on the same page :flowerforyou:

How much cardio do you do? And...do you find that doing more cardio affects how much your weights go up?

During those six months I did next to no cardio. Took my 5RM squat from 135lbs to 325lbs. When I would do it though I did not see any negative impact on my strength gains, though I did keep it below 30 min, I wasn’t running a marathon everyday or anything. Now at those weights and being on a calorie deficit, strength gains are minimal anyways so I started incorporating C25k into my routine.
  • jms11416
    jms11416 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The whole net / gross calories really confuses me & after reading this, I have no idea if I am eating and excersizing enough to loose weight - maintain weight or gain weight!!! I DEF EANT TO LOOSE IT!!!

I stay in the 'green' for my calorie intake & do the same-ish excersise daily. can someone help!
  • End6ame
    Options
    The whole net / gross calories really confuses me & after reading this, I have no idea if I am eating and excersizing enough to loose weight - maintain weight or gain weight!!! I DEF EANT TO LOOSE IT!!!

I stay in the 'green' for my calorie intake & do the same-ish excersise daily. can someone help!

Eat your daily calorie allowance. On days you workout log your exercise activity and eat back your exercise calories. That’s it.