Drinking 8 Cups of Water a Day??

Options
2»

Replies

• RyeLite
    RyeLite Posts: 17
    Options
    You would be surprised who much water you get from foods. The Brain is telling you you are thristy, but many people think its Hunger. You end up satisfying your thirst via food intake.

Keeping that in mind, when anyone gets hunry (or thinks they are hungry) drink 8 oz of water. Wait 20 minutes, if your still hungry...go for it.
  • maryygc
    maryygc Posts: 1
    Options
    It's definitely hard to make sure you get enough water each day, soo many people have this problem (including myself)! I've found a great method though. If you make it a point to drink a cup or bottle of water right before you sit down to your major meals, it will help. I've read quite a few articles that claim if you drink water that has been in a very cold fridge right before you eat a meal, it does a few things for you - first, it obviously helps you feel full sooner during your meal. Secondly, since the water is so cold, your body has to work to start warming it up, which burns calories..meaning metabolism is being kickstarted while you're eating!

I have a hard time getting my water in sometimes but I've found that if you can make a point to get down an ice cold bottle of water before you eat, it makes a huge difference. And eventually, your body starts craving it. :)

Hope this helps!
  • adamj1910
    adamj1910 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i normally work through about 4.5 litres a day =D
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I read that drinking your 8 glasses of water a day 2litres / 64oz burns you an extra 500 calories a week... Not sure why but that got me straight on the water!
    I have noticed that I've been losing weight quicker since drinking the full 8 or more a day!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I just make sure i drink it because it's so good for you.

BTW, you shouldn't wait until you're thirsty to have a drink as thirst means your body has started to dehydrate.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have 32 oz waterbottle with a straw that I drink two of through out the day and thats my 8 right there. Then for exercise I drink a 16 oz water, which is 2 cups and puts me up to 10.

Once you get used to it, it won't be so bad.. at first it will feel like you're forcing yourself to drink, but you'll feel better once you do.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Was a problem for me, too, but I've got it licked. I keep a two liter jug of water at my side and drink it throughout the day. We are on a "rural" water system and they use chlorine to keep the water safe so I don't like the taste or smell. I get around it by using one "tube" of Propel lemon in each jug. It adds 20 calories a day to my log but is worth it.

Coffee and tea should NOT be counted. As a matter of fact, for each ounce of coffee and/or tea (natural diuretics) you need to add in an additional ounce of water. Drink half your body weight (in ounces) each day d- 200 pounds, 100 ounces of water. 160 pound, 80 ounces of water, etc.
  • KristinL19
    KristinL19 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    It's not that I don't like the taste of water, I really actually do like the taste. In fact, water is mostly all I drink. However, I just have a hard time drinking a lot of water because I just don't feel thirsty. I have a reusable water bottle that I'm going to try taking with me everywhere, hopefully I can make this a habit!!
    Thanks for your help!!
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    For me, out of sight, out of mind is what happens. So I keep a bottle in front of me so that I'm reminded to get enough water. If you remember to keep water with you, you'll be more likely to drink it because it's there.

I'm the same way! I take a glass of water to my nightstand each night so I wake up and drink that first thing. Then, I drink at least 2 more before breakfast or coffee. I always have a bottle with me or in front of me :wink: I easily reach 10 glasses a day, everyday!

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    For me, out of sight, out of mind is what happens. So I keep a bottle in front of me so that I'm reminded to get enough water. If you remember to keep water with you, you'll be more likely to drink it because it's there.

Same here, While i dont find myself to be really *thirsty* during the day, with the exception of during and after my workouts, if i dont have it with me, i probably wont drink it. I buy a case of water, or use a reusable tervis tumbler glass and just refill that bad boy 3-4 times a day at work or school, and my water intake before the end of the day sometimes exceeds the 8 glasses. it is common for me to hit 10-12 glasses before making it home at 5pm, and then i'll have more just because :) I think once you get drinking more, it will become habit, just like working out, or waking up early etc. !!!
  • lindsschou
    lindsschou Posts: 24
    Options
    On a totally unrelated note, how are you guys getting your tickers to appear at the bottom of your post? Do you have to copy and paste the link in each time?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    On a totally unrelated note, how are you guys getting your tickers to appear at the bottom of your post? Do you have to copy and paste the link in each time?

Get your ticker URL from the Tools area and then paste it into your Signature. You'll see the Signature link just above these posts.
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was the same way.....I could go all day without a drink of anything and be just fine. Since I've started the weight loss journey I've been trying to find the right balance of water for me since I seem to retain a ton of it due to my salt addiction :grumble:. I drink about 112 oz (holy cow) now. I keep refilling my water bottle and I chug as much as I can each time I pick it up. If I were to take just sips each time I wouldn't get enough water down to make a difference. So I have certain times of day that I require myself to drink a bottle of water. I drive 45 minutes to work so I have to drink 32oz by the time I get to work, then another 32 oz by lunch time, then I need another 32 oz by the end of the night. LOL, seems a little ridiculous but I figure it's gotta be good for some thing. :drinker:
  • RokMomma79
    RokMomma79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a steel 24oz bottle on my desk and always carry a 1L nalgene bottle with me in my bag, both of which I sip out of all day. I never seem to reach the bottom of either, but I am always refilling them.

Generally I hate water unless I am parched but find that a little lemon juice helps. I also have a great love for herbal teas and my naturopath recently told me I could count any caffein free herbal teas towards my daily water intake ... mmmm!