Help, GAINED weight!

Options
I went camping the past few days and last night had pizza and ice cream cake for my boyfriend's birthday. I am kicking myself
but in 3 days went over my calories by about 1500. However, even at the end when I click on "complete entry" it still tells me
I would be on the path of losing "if I ate like this every day"----just at a MUCH slower rate. I am on the 1200 calorie/day total.

I am still very new to this but really want it to work. It is VERY hard (I might post this in another topic) when my boyfriend can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound, he is incredibly thin. He also doesn't work out. When I have a good hour at the gym I work out pretty hard, my "go to" is the treadmill. Just wondering why since Sunday I have gained almost 4 pounds. Kinda freaking out, and wondering if anyone has been through this!

I know over eating my calories is bad, but wasn't expecting that! Before I started monitoring my food intake I ate way more and didn't gain weight like that. I would really, really like to lose a good 10 before July 19. Just wondering if this is even CLOSE to possible.

Replies

• Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I went camping the past few days and last night had pizza and ice cream cake for my boyfriend's birthday. I am kicking myself
    but in 3 days went over my calories by about 1500. However, even at the end when I click on "complete entry" it still tells me
    I would be on the path of losing "if I ate like this every day"----just at a MUCH slower rate. I am on the 1200 calorie/day total.

I am still very new to this but really want it to work. It is VERY hard (I might post this in another topic) when my boyfriend can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound, he is incredibly thin. He also doesn't work out. When I have a good hour at the gym I work out pretty hard, my "go to" is the treadmill. Just wondering why since Sunday I have gained almost 4 pounds. Kinda freaking out, and wondering if anyone has been through this!

I know over eating my calories is bad, but wasn't expecting that! Before I started monitoring my food intake I ate way more and didn't gain weight like that. I would really, really like to lose a good 10 before July 19. Just wondering if this is even CLOSE to possible.

With what you ate, I'd be looking at sodium/water retention as a possible culprit. What is your sodium intake normally like, and are you drinking enough water?

Kris
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    it goes in flows for sure. stay strong
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I'm going to second the sodium...
    I found that yes - going over is obviously not a great trend to be on, but those days will happen, however; it is the inherent sodium we intake on those days that really causes the surprising (though temporary) weight gains...

Work on increasing your potassium and drinking lots and lots of water over the next few days and you'll more than likely see it drop right back off :)
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    I know. The pizza thing is BAD (its always been my flaw). I drink a TON of water-maybe not as much as normal on this trip, as we didn't have an excessive amount. I usually drink 2-3 nalgenes full at work and then a lot of sparkling water at home. I will have crystal light every so often and a diet coke once in while. I realize I have only been tracking for about a week now, but still.

I don't track sodium though. I guess I will start watching that as well. But still, 4 pounds?!?
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Also, when I am at the gym I typically go through a large smart water bottle.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Is it that time of the month? I gain about 5 pounds due to water retention starting a few days before and I don't shed it all until a few days afterward.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    But still, 4 pounds?!?

Either it's salt/water/waste or you must have overshot your calories by 14,000.

I'm a (really) big guy, but I don't think that even I could eat that much. :wink:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I skip the sparkling water if I was you, just for the bloat factor.

I know that when I have a bad weekend, it's mostly water weight and then it comes right back off with in a few days. Don't stress too much unless it doesn't go down.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Definitely didn't do that. I do know what I ate.....Maybe I'm off +/- 100 calories, but when estimating I usually try to over guess.
    Thanks for the insight, I will watch my sodium intake. Good ideas for low sodium dinners?
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Between yesterday and today I "lost" 2lbs - I'd put on 3lbs of late.

This is why I don't weight myself everyday !! (too many fluctuations)

My OH can eat as he pleases, I tend to buy 'treats' for him that I don't like (I am not a fan if apple pie for example so wont be tempted with that) and I do most of the cooking so I can control what we both eat (he will have mased potaotes and I will have healthier new potatoes)
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    if its sodium a good sweaty workout will expell most of it. ....for instance, Sunday for some ungodly reason I couldn't keep my hands kit of the chips! I ate almost a whole bag... finished it off Monday, sadly. but despite that it was my only "junk" and did not go over in calories, the scale jumped up 5lb! overnight! 3 days later that 5 lb is gone, plus one. no way I gained 5 in day overnight, nor would I have burned 6 lb of fat in 3 days...

this means 2 things... that jump in weight was front a serious water retention, during which my pb prolly looked obscene.
    and also that my long sweaty workouts have flushed it out.

I will also say that Monday overall I felt more lethargic than usual and struggled to push my workout into something beneficial.
    now its Thursday & I feel much better...

if ur a pizza junkie like me, lemme just say u can always find a way to get pizza in the diet :-) afterall we need protein & calcium :-).... start finding recipes to make at home where u can control the sodium, fat, and Carb contents to ur requirements.

I don't watch my salt, but I wont be eating a whole bag of chips again...