Off the wagon - what do you do?

Options
So I was doing really great - I've lost over 30 pounds, then school started (I'm a teacher). Meetings and grading and lesson plans have taken the place of eating well and exercise. I thought I would start a thread about what you do when you fall off the wagon - not just for a day, but you have a change in the way your life is. How do you start over?

Replies

• cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So I was doing really great - I've lost over 30 pounds, then school started (I'm a teacher). Meetings and grading and lesson plans have taken the place of eating well and exercise. I thought I would start a thread about what you do when you fall off the wagon - not just for a day, but you have a change in the way your life is. How do you start over?
  • kdanderson05
    Options
    I think I just need to make sure I stay on the wagon, because it seems like I am falling off constantly!

So I would appreciate any kind of ideas too?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

off the wagon ? well girlie get your butt back on it...lots of arms reaching down to pull you up on our wagons till you get yours back on the road:flowerforyou:

Tough times for folks working in the education area/or headin back to classes...pretty much lacking time for anything other than school ...I can feel your pain..:heart:

Well do you think it's REALLY 'starting over'?? Or perhaps it's merely gaining back your focus & your bearings that drifted away because of so much busy-ness (new word of the day that doesn't really exist!)??

I think a person at many times needs to refocus on what their main goal is....HEALTH....jobs come and go, many things happen in a day but our health (which without saying includes feeling better about ourselves, clothes fitting better...ya know the whole 9 yards when making positive changes for ourselves)

Perhaps that's what you need....to think on why you made a change originally and how far you've come.... that's I guess why I don't feel it's a new beginning but more ongoing and a continuation from where you were before you got derailed in real life situations:noway: :happy:

How about you grab some protein bars (there's a great link here going on MFP on folks favorties), keep that big ole water bottle near you at all times, not sure what your classroom situation is like but the between class shift, you grab that water bottle, even if you end up downing a fiber/protein bar in the teachers lounge during class changes, take a bite while checking your hair in the rest room...whatever it takes to take care of YOU!

You'll then have much more energy to continue on your day with your students and all the things that come up with so many meetings etc.

Plan your new way of eating/life around your job....not your job around your eating/new life. Do you know what I mean by that??:drinker:

Veggies in plastic containers, raw nuts to snack on, raisons or healthy trail mix to get in your carb/protein/fat allotment during open times....or even during meetings.

Hopefully something here has sparked some ideas that will work for you....:flowerforyou: here's to you for not only starting a great thread but for wanting to jump back up and keep er going!:drinker: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I think I just need to make sure I stay on the wagon, because it seems like I am falling off constantly!

So I would appreciate any kind of ideas too?

I think if we can just remember the most important thing is US.....keeping US going in a healthy direction ....helps us to stay focused, realize posting here can help immensely....just reading positive tips, doing things you already KNOW are healthy choices.

I'm with you....staying ON the wagon seems to work better for me than jumping on and off as some folks find work for them....ok truth be told...does that work for those of you that decide to take breaks for longer periods of time??? Oh and no I don't mean treat days etc....

Not meaning that for you cupcake...as that's not what your issue is. :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Hm...a bit more thoughts here...:laugh: How about as you have to set time aside to do lesson plans you plan to prioritize your food planning as well? Does an early morning excercise class work for you at the gym before heading in?

I often go to the 6am water class....lots of teachers in that one! Some have tried the afternoon classes right after school but same same as you....they just can't predict what will come up such as meetings and such so they know to try and do something earlier even if it means getting up earlier they know it will set their day off right to tackle everything else that comes up.

anything like might work for you?
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Brush yourself down, and jump back on it! :bigsmile:
    Look at what triggered the fall out in the first place, and find ways round them.
    Hope this helps (and even makes sense :bigsmile: )
    :flowerforyou:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This might be "Not enough hours in the day" syndrome. I think what would help is taking the extra hour every weekend to plan your meals for the week. Make a casserole on the weekends and put single servings into tupperware to take for the week. Split up apples and carrots sticks right along with it--then just grab and go.

Thoughts on exercise--I am assuming you don't want to get up any earlier. Take advice you would give your students--do your homework as soon as you get home so you have the night to relax! When you get home from work, grab a banana and go right to the gym, or take out a few exercise DVD's from the library and just pop them in. Once you get your exercise in, it's done and you can go about the rest of your day.

I know this must be really tough because it's such a schedule change from the summer. Just like your students, there is an adjustment period. Give yourself the time to get back into the swing of things!

Best of luck, and remember, you've come this far! Give yourself a pat on the back!:flowerforyou:
  • licia67
    licia67 Posts: 109
    Options
    get right back on.
    You know how, and we are here for you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I just write out my schedule (literally) and plan out when I can work out. Eating is easy...just make things at night and pack them for the next day. Buy some Lean Cuisines for emergencies. You might have to push out of what you're used to--like exercising at a new time or rearranging your eating schedule--but it will be worth it to get back into the routine!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Jump on...............come on................I got your hand

I know you feel like this
    00020288.gif

but I KNOW you can do it!
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I too just fell off the wagon, well kinda....I hurt my back so i had to stop working out for about three weeks which meant less calories that i was allowed to eat. In the end i was over my calories every night. And I had some emotional binges thrown in there too. I think we just have to sit down and remind ourselves of whats important to us. Life's to short to not be happy.

Come on....lets get back on it together! Ive ended this day with 100 calories left:happy: ,did an AWESOME workout and drank tons of water! I feel so great,this is how i wanna feel everyday:wink:

Take some time and plan your meals, that helps me during the week when I work. Plan out your workouts.....don't let anything get in your way:smile: I like the idea of another poster....workout as soon as you get home so it gets done and over with.

good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    First of all, Ms. Teacher, a big

THAAAANK YOOOUUUUU!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

For your devotion to the job you do every day. My two kids also thank you, for after this year, they are done with school (at least to 12th). :drinker:

To add to the suggestions we've already made, remember what the experts say - that 10 minutes of exercise 3x a day is just about equivalent to 30 minute blocks of exercise. Stretching, calf raises, walking from one class to the next, or using part of your lunch break to take a trip around the campus (something like that). Every little bit helps.

Just try to add small things one at a time, that create big changes. YOu can do it, and we're here for you!!!!:heart:
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Here's part of my new plan....log my food BEFORE I eat it. You would not believe how many things I entered and then said, "If I know that was 400 calories I would have never had it!" Exercise is gong to be a problem - before school is out because we start too darn early and after school is rough with the kids and husband around. I am thinking during school might be a plan. If I take half of my planning period to walk the halls that should be a good start - we're talking 20-40 minutes depending on how often I do it. Then we will try to sneak some other things in in the evening. A dance party with a 4 year old is pretty good cardio, then add in lifting a 1 year old and I have some weight training going on!
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options

off the wagon ? well girlie get your butt back on it...lots of arms reaching down to pull you up on our wagons till you get yours back on the road:flowerforyou:

Tough times for folks working in the education area/or headin back to classes...pretty much lacking time for anything other than school ...I can feel your pain..:heart:

Well do you think it's REALLY 'starting over'?? Or perhaps it's merely gaining back your focus & your bearings that drifted away because of so much busy-ness (new word of the day that doesn't really exist!)??

I think a person at many times needs to refocus on what their main goal is....HEALTH....jobs come and go, many things happen in a day but our health (which without saying includes feeling better about ourselves, clothes fitting better...ya know the whole 9 yards when making positive changes for ourselves)

Perhaps that's what you need....to think on why you made a change originally and how far you've come.... that's I guess why I don't feel it's a new beginning but more ongoing and a continuation from where you were before you got derailed in real life situations:noway: :happy:

How about you grab some protein bars (there's a great link here going on MFP on folks favorties), keep that big ole water bottle near you at all times, not sure what your classroom situation is like but the between class shift, you grab that water bottle, even if you end up downing a fiber/protein bar in the teachers lounge during class changes, take a bite while checking your hair in the rest room...whatever it takes to take care of YOU!

You'll then have much more energy to continue on your day with your students and all the things that come up with so many meetings etc.

Plan your new way of eating/life around your job....not your job around your eating/new life. Do you know what I mean by that??:drinker:

Veggies in plastic containers, raw nuts to snack on, raisons or healthy trail mix to get in your carb/protein/fat allotment during open times....or even during meetings.

Hopefully something here has sparked some ideas that will work for you....:flowerforyou: here's to you for not only starting a great thread but for wanting to jump back up and keep er going!:drinker: :drinker:

Great post! I can use that as well, since I'm also in classroom daily:)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Awsome! I was sitting in a meeting the other day, bored to tears.

I put my legs straight out in front of me, then lifted just a little. After a few of these I really held in my stomach, and then did little sissor with my legs.

OMG my stomach burned the next day. I forgot I had even done the leg thing and mentioned it to my friend. She laughed and said well you worked out the entire meeting!!

It is amazing, small movements can make such a large difference.

Can you bring 5 lb weights to school? You can do bicep curls at your desk.

You are amazing!!