Healthy(er) Fast Food

Options
2»

Replies

• craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    at a lot of those big rest stops on my way to canada, i was able to find fresh bananas and a few good salads. i HAD to eat at a mcdonals cuz that's what everyone ELSE wanted, and they have some pretty amazing salads, i was pleasantly surprised :)
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    what about the chargrill chicken sandwich from Chick-Fil-A?

I eat this all the time. The grilled chicken sandwich has 290 calories and the medium fruit cup has 70 calories. I usually get this with a unsweet tea (I LOVE sweet tea, but won't give in too often). It is actually very healthy and the sodium is not nearly as bad as you would think. Also, there is a Chick Fil-A on every corner in Georgia.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Subway can be great for calories but can pack lots of sodium! Eek. I do Subway veggie-style now a days.

Also that new salad at Wendy's is great! If you have time to pop in and sit down.
    It's the berry chicken. It is really low cal and very delicious!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Wendy's new Almond Berry Salad is really tasty and a full size with the fat-free dressing is about 400 calories. Good luck!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    True story:

I drove across the country with my best friend a few years ago. We got fastfood 3x, twice because she was a Taco Bell addict and once because well....we'd never had Watta Burger (?) and never will again. We stopped a diner once. We kept a cooler in the car with lunch meat, bread, mustard, fruits, snacks, whatever. And we didn't do it because it was healthy we did it because holy crow it was a million times cheaper. My suggestion, get a small cooler, throw in some chicken or turkey, some chopped veggies in baggies or tupperware, some fruit, some nuts...
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    Yes, get a small cooler and pack it with some sandwich meat, buns, mustard, fruit and veggies, even some yogurt and granola. I did this when I drove down to Califronia, works really well and you can restock at grocery stores if you need to.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    If your willing to stop try salads you can look up the nutrition info online. Wendy's new berry salad is good and only 450 cals. I would also recommend taking mixed nuts with you. Yes they are high in fat but the good fats in the keep you full longer. Drink lots of water. It's hot here in GA.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 hour commute twice a week and I pack all kinds of stuff, but one thing that really helps me are protein bars...typically around 250 calories and can stick with you for a while and are easy to eat while driving...GNC sells a protein bar called "The World's First 2:1 Protein Bar". It has a 2:1 protein to carb ratio and the oatmeal one tastes just like a chocolate oatmeal cookie...NOM NOM NOM
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you do stop for fast food, don't automatically think chicken is the better way to go. It could actually be worse than getting a small burger depending on where you are - calorie wise as well as sodium content.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/nutrition-questions-tips-00412000071626/page9.html
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    hmm
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Jason's Deli! If you pass one, do yourself a favor and stop.