trusting food infirmation database

Options
Hi out there - I was just wondering how you all know what food information to trust in the database - there are so many entries for each food w/ all different information. A good example is chicken breast - calories and protein for the same number of ounces or grams are completely different. I find that I keep comparing entries to calorieking just so I can pick the one closest to being right. Doesn't MFP have there own food information or is it all based on what the publis enters. Thank you for reading and providing any information you can.

Replies

• CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If in doubt I double check (by the info on the food packet and / or online)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    MFP'S own things will not have a "*" next to it. The "*" means it's a user-added item. There is a project to clean it up, but it never hurts to double check against a package or another website to make sure.
  • snobuni08
    snobuni08 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same thing. Double check if it doesn't seem right. If I don't have time to double check I choose the higher option. So that I don't go over.
    Oh and if you have a droid download the app. that way you can just scan the barcode and it imputs all the info into your food diary for you.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    It's best to double check everything that you can if you have the package from your food check it against the database.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have to double check because I have found the stats on some foods to be off. For example, the calories would be correct but the fat content was left off, etc.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Being from Canada, I find that the nutritional info can vary slightly from what's already entered. I always compare the package info (if I have it) but some things just don't come with that information. It does make it tough sometimes. I shoot for the middle.