Is it hurting me to eat pretty much the same things each day

Options
With the exception of dinner, I pretty much eat the same things every day...I'm just a creature of habit & I'm also extremely picky...I'll have the same cereal for breakfast & a turkey sandwich for lunch...I also tend to snack on the same things-yogurt, vita top.......is this ok, or should I switch it up to see better results?

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, no harm that I can see
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i would switch it up. try having egg whites with a side of fruit, or PB on a bagel thin for breakfast. then a grilled chicken salad for lunch. snacks can be a handful of almonds, string cheese, apple & pb, celery/carrots, and hummus, air popcorn, etc.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, it has worked so far but I'm interested to see the other responses
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Breakfast and lunch are very boring, same old stuff, kinda things, and dinner is always different. I say it may be boring, but it makes the scale move!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to switch things up. I would, however, recommend taking a daily multivitamin if you don't already do so. Eating the same thing means you're not getting a variety of nutrients. Add a good multivitamin, and keep on truckin!
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Im bad about that and sometimes I get bored with it... we have been trying to have a breakfast club at work to try new healthy things. check out skinnytaste.com. Its kind of neat.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, as long as it is healthy I don't see a problem with it, just make sure you're getting your fruits and veggies. My dad eats eggs for breakfast every morning and he is the most in fit person I know. and he is a nutritionist
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! To get the vitamins necessary, I've added certain cereals and fruits/vegetables every so often.
  • makeachange22
    Options
    nothings wrong with that at all ! if its what you prefer to eat then you prefer to eat it, i have the same breakfast every single day and basically the same lunch while in school.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    No - As long as they are 'healthy' and you like them go for it.

You will begin to seek out other things as time goes on. There are so many 'good' things to eat, you'll trip over some as you move along....

• melancholybaby
    Options
    when we need food not to be an obsession i wholeheartedly recommend eating by rote when possible. i concur with taking a multi-vitamin and get some blood work done on a regular basis to ensure you are not deficient.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't think you need to switch things up. I would, however, recommend taking a daily multivitamin if you don't already do so. Eating the same thing means you're not getting a variety of nutrients. Add a good multivitamin, and keep on truckin!

I am also a creature of habit and eat the same ol' stuff everyday for breakfast and lunch...and even dinner sometimes. I also take a multivitamin for the added nutrients, and a calcium supplement. I cut my vitamins in two and take half in the morning and half at night. I keep the vitamins already cut up in a bottle in the kitchen so i don't forget to take my half with breakfast and half at dinner. Multivitamins are high in nutrients, but because they are so high your body pretty much can't absorb the whole stupid thing at once, that's why i cut them in two so i can have 2 smaller doses, and gives my body a chance to absorb it better...at least i hope so!

I think you should be fine eating the same old stuff if that's what works for you. just make sure you're getting the essential nutrients.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As long as it's working for you and you're eating fairly health, I don't see the problem...

I'm pretty much the same with breakfast and lunch. Dinner are different every night but we pretty much eat the same meals every week or two. If you think you'll get bored with the same old, same old eventually, since you're thinking about it now, maybe come up with some alternatives that would be comparable as far as fitting into your daily allowances.
  • KikeyT
    KikeyT Posts: 2
    Options
    I say if it's working then keep on doing what your doing. If you find you've hit a plateau, then change it up a little. For me, that seems to be what happens after awhile. I have found out I gotta keep my body guessing whether it's food or exercise, or else it gets stuck in a rut.
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Hi,
    I say do what ever keeps you on track, I eat alot of the same foods but am always in search
    of new foods and when i get bored with the few foods I like to eat often, I will switch it up
    to keep from getting bored with my food, until then from what i can tell as long as the foods we like to eat are
    on the healthy side and we're staying within MFP's guidelines, we're good to go!

Good luck to you!
    Please feel free to add me :happy:
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    With the exception of dinner, I pretty much eat the same things every day...I'm just a creature of habit & I'm also extremely picky...I'll have the same cereal for breakfast & a turkey sandwich for lunch...I also tend to snack on the same things-yogurt, vita top.......is this ok, or should I switch it up to see better results?

Aside from dinner I eat just about the same things every day too, no big deal.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    For some, adding variety to your diet may hurt because you already know what works and changing it to something different may be a risk. However, I do think that variety helps your system, and just as your body responds to changes in exercises, it responds to changes in diet. If you do the same exercise everyday the same way, your body will become immune to it and your weight will plateau. I think the same goes for food.

Usually they recommend that the produce you consume reflects a wide variety of colors. You need your oranges, your purples, your yellows, your reds, etc. You can't do this all in one day. It's also good to incorporate seafood into your diet. Everyday? No. A few times a week. The same goes for other foods. If you're one who believes in "muscle confusion", the same concept goes for diets as well.*

*Disclaimer: I don't know crap.