Running = gut shrinking ... just me?

Options
It seems like since I started running (C25K) my gut is disappearing (shaking loose?) ... it's been the problem area for me and it's super great to see it FINALLY going somewhere! ... but does that make sense?

Replies

• JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I would love to know the answer because I thought about running in the near future once my weight gets down a little...it's so hard for me to run now cause my calves seem to be on fire after a few minutes...
  • snmonson
    snmonson Posts: 79
    Options
    Congratulations!! :D
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    yes indeed... mine is starting to get flatter too.
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I know what you mean... I think running (and Zumba) is whats helping my stomach shrink too - well at least I hope I'm not just imagining it (lol)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I've been walking to get my weight down and really want to start running once everythings a little less jiggly. My tummy is my problem area, legs and arms are looking pretty good! But I walk fast and I have been getting the urge to just run all the time!
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    Yes, I've been running and while my weight loss has only been 13 pounds, I've lost 3 inches in my waist - hoping for more.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have zumba'd since October but really didn't start noticing a big difference in my shape/scale until I started c25k. i really think it slims me more.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. How many runners do you know who have big guts. First of all, you are burning a lot of calories when running you are likely shrinking everywhere. But also, people tned to think crunches when they think of toning their tummies but lifting your knees is a great ab workout. Walking, running, marching, these are all great for toning your abs.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What a nice perk! That has always been my problems area...still is :( I mostly walk, I may have to look into the C25K program, I have been wanting to try it for awhile, but I always have an excuse not to!! Maybe I need to just suck it up and get started!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My calves felt that way when I first started…on the elliptical!

After the first couple of sessions, though, my calves and my thighs felt good.

I had a lot of weight to lose so I worked out on the elliptical for many months before I tried to run. The elliptical is really easy on the knees but you can still build strength and endurance so you're ahead of the game when you start running.
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    I've noticed my gut reducing too (although the scales aren't reflecting it).
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Yap. I second that one. Running seems good for the core..
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    same thing is happening to me....not losing weight but my gut is shrinking :) i'll take it tho
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean... I think running (and Zumba) is whats helping my stomach shrink too - well at least I hope I'm not just imagining it (lol)

Yep, this is what I found too. I've had a bit of a tummy, even back when I was young and 115 lbs. Running and Zumba are the things I've done over the years that have kept it in check the best. I think my abs are a little more defined with Zumba because of all the hip shaking and rolling!
  • maparapa22
    maparapa22 Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been running since the beginning of the year and have seem to have lost the rolls :) I"m now training for the Nike Women's Marathon and it contniues to shrink but the issue now is TONING all that muscle underneath the rolls...Keep up the good work and don't doubt the beautiful results that you are having :)
  • Melekurion
    Options
    Absolutely. Three years ago, I weighed 246 with 25% body fat when I started and I dropped to 203 after a year & a half. I started out running 2.5 miles at a 12 minute/mile pace and now I under an 8 minute mile. My fastest 5K so far is 22 minutes. I used to run Cross Country in high school and I'm glad to get back into decent shape again.

My brother weighed 350 around the same time I started and I convinced him to run. He could only run 100 yards before having to stop, no joke. But he kept it up and rode his bike to & from work daily. He lost over 100 pounds and was fit enough to enter one of the San Deigo Ironman competitions. He actually finished without stopping once. He's a lot tougher than I :^)

Keep it up! Take your time to prevent injury and slowly build up speed & distance. The rewards are more than worth it. Good luck.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed that too, and I'm not even running too often yet. I'm just doing intervals so far! Great job!!!
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I had a lot of weight to lose so I worked out on the elliptical for many months before I tried to run. The elliptical is really easy on the knees but you can still build strength and endurance so you're ahead of the game when you start running.

This is my approach, too ... using the elliptical first to get ready for running.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Yes, yes on all points! :flowerforyou:
  • candirw
    candirw Posts: 22
    Options
    I would love to know the answer because I thought about running in the near future once my weight gets down a little...it's so hard for me to run now cause my calves seem to be on fire after a few minutes..../quote]

JRena-

I started jogging a couple of months ago when i started exercising. I weighed 230 pounds at that point.

I just wanted to let you know that for probably the first month or so, my calves were on fire and I had much discomfort in my shins. I just kept going and pushed past it because I didn't really feel like the pain was injury type pain. I am slow. When I started jogging I was barely at 3.5 mph, but it was still jogging, and I tried not to focus on my speed. Here it is 4 months later and I can run a 5K at 4.1 mph. The longest distance for me so far is 3.5 miles.

I just want to encourage you that if you want to run, start. I think many times it's a mental block. My sister is in incredible shape. She is thin and strong and can outclimb me on any hike like I was standing still, but she can't run. Now I believe there is no way on this earth that she is not physically able to run, but she can't make herself go past a minute or two

Start slow, and think about your goals. When i wanted to stop, I thought of this quote: "Think about what you want, not about what you want right now"

You can do it! Good luck!