200 lbs and getting pregnant

brookekeziah
brookekeziah Posts: 10
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to lose weight so I can try to get pregnant with my 2nd child. I was 189 when I had my first and it's been 2 1/2 years and I have only gained so be 211 but now I have finally came down to 204 but my OBGYN says that I need to lose more weight before I should try to get pregnant. Anyone else ever gone through somethin like this? I am really needing some support because it's going to take a long time to lose as much weight as she wants me to I am ready to try for another now!

Replies

• BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 241 Member
    My husband and I have been trying for almost 2 yrs, it is definately a long journey! Hang in there! I still have alot of weight to lose before i can get pregnant again too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I was 198 when I got pregnant with each of my kids. It's healthier to be lower and easier to carry when you weigh less. It isn't absolutely necessary to lose weight before getting pregnant but it's a good idea to listen to the doctor.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    No real advice...just wanted to wish you luck. Good thing is, looks like you are young so you have that going for you. Everyone here is so supportive!! I am sure you will do great!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I am in the same boat....last year I had lost 50 pounds and would have been the perfect weight, but I've since gained most of it back. We are trying right now, I don't want to wait until I lose weight, because then who knows how long it will take to get pregnant.

I figure while we are waiting for it to happen, I'll keep trying to lose weight (though this week I am doing TERRIBLE) and when it happens it happens.

I'm also hoping I can continue to lose a few even when I first get pregnant...I know they say you're not supposed to diet, but being overweight can't be good either right? Plus, I'm talking around 1500 calories, I don't think that's too extreme, but I will run it by my doctor when the time comes.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    how much does she want you to lose?

Just remember, it's for the safety of your unborn child. The last thing you want is to suffer through a miscarriage because your body wasn't ready and able to bear a child. It's heart breaking. Start your lifestyle change today. Take the desire to have a baby, and turn it into the desire to get healthy enough to have your baby. It won't take as long as you think. It really won't. Patience is a virtue. You won't regret it when you have a healthy baby at the end of it all and you know that you did what it takes to get there.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Yes. Though I am not trying to conceive immediatly (life needs to even out) I am losing weight for a better pregnancy I also had my first by emergency c-section and am hoping for a successful VBAC. I was 220 when I got pregnant with my first. I dont want the risk of gestational diabetes this next time. I never contracted them with my fitst but still a fear when overweight and pregnant
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Weight also effects your fertility an ovulation cycles. So the healthier you weight the better your likelyhood of conceiving quickly!
  • Well perhaps you could be on a program and be trying to get pregnant at the same time? When I was pregnant with my 2nd, my doctor told me that my nutritional requirement was just 300 calories more because of my pregnancy. So if you shoot for 1/2 lb loss per week as per MFP and then add 300 calories per day to whatever MFP calculates for you, perhaps that would be okay??

I am NOT a doctor, so I'd recommend asking your doctor if that would be okay before you start doing that...
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    I had to lose weight because I have PCOS and problems getting pg and then staying pregnant. messed up progesterone levels. It is doable....time to cut carbs.

it worked for me
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    I have a 2 year old daughter. When I got pregnant with her I weighed like.. 280 something. I lost a lot of weight with morning sicnkess and was at 278 throughout 4-5 months of my pregnancy. I never did gain much. Maybe at one point was up to almost 290. Don't know how I didn't gain too much weight though. I never had gestational diabetes or any complications with my pregnancy. It was perfect. However, I gained some weight after I had her and I am trying to lose it now as well. I would LOVE a second child but I'm scared that since my first went so well I'll gain a lot with a second pregnancy. Luckily I want to wait at least a year before trying to conceive again. So I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Good luck though!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    I honestly never thought of that lol. I got pregnant with my first at 250 (he was a surprise birth control baby.. Surprise!! lol) and when I planned to get pregnant with my daughter, i weighed 265 when I found out I was pregnant.. My OB never mentioned weight so idk.. Both mine were c sections (not because I was fat, my first had the cord around his neck and almost died, he didn't like labor at all) and my second was a planned c section/tubal ligation. My first, I was on BC so I didn't even realize (I had taken an antibiotic at the same time and the pharmacist SWORE up and down it was safe) and with my second, we went off BC in January and I was pregnant within 1 cycle.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    I don't want you *not* to listen to your doctor, but I think the bigger picture is that you should be working towards the healthiest lifestyle possible before you TTC . . . so my suggestion would be to start getting regular exercise, start making healthy food choices, drink plenty of water, take your prenatal vitamins . . . I hit that weight with every one of my pregnancies, (I am 5'10") Being Skinny doesn't mean you will have a complication free pregnancy, there are skinny pregnant moms who do not eat right or get enough exercise during their pregnancies. If it were me I would start making healthier choices, and start TTC when I was in the routine of a healthy lifestyle. If you start exercising now you can continue that regimen throughout your pregnancy. (In intensity, some of the actual activities you do may need to be modified)
  • AAJoseph
    AAJoseph Posts: 53 Member
    I have to be honest. I was well over 260 pounds during my pregnancy with my son (now almost 5 years old). Wow... to even write it I can not believe it. I remember being monitored, weighedt and gauged weekly but I gained around 10 (ten) lbs total during the entire pregnancy. The doctor's were hounding me that I was going to have a huge baby with problems... saying he looked to be 10 plus lbs on the ultrasounds. I am here to say, that my son was born a natural, normal 6 lb 6oz healthy baby boy. I would not even let them do a cesarean... why because I was just big... but no other health complications, no diabetes (although I did watch my sugar levels during the pregnancy), no heart issues, better cholesterol than my doctor's and most of the nurse's. I was was just BIG (plus I got pregnant during a very stressful time... ha ha this tends to happen I hear). But anyway, I say lose as much as you can, to where you feel comfortable. I understand the doctor's point of view but it is mainly theory and just wanting to avoid complications... but sometimes they forget we are all human, and we are able to handle some pretty amazing things. Funny thing is I am in the same boat as you though... now trying to get to onderland before even considering another child, mainly because I just want to be fit... BUT UGH dealing with the doctor's was torture and down right depressing. But I am glad that I was as strong as I was and knew what I wanted while caring for myself and my child. He came first!

Best wishes on your journey, in health, motherhood and life!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    I don't know I was 260 when I got prenant with my first one and was 230 by the time she was 3 months old. I gained a LOT back in the subsequent 2 and a half years but I just hit 231 last week and found out this week I am pregnant with #2.

It's doable but you have to be sane, safe and healthy while you are pregnant. My biggest issue last time was water retention and stage 3 adema. Early labor meant bed rest which meant no way to get my fluids moving. It's not a picnic but it certainly isn't as cut and dry as some doctors make it seem. Excess weight doesn't always mean that you are lazy with bad eating habits. You could be half way through losing weight and in the best shape of your life and still be 200lbs merely because your body hasn't caught up with all your efforts. Doctors dont always take time to look at the entire history, they see the number on the scale and match it with their weight charts and boom, no kids for you. Only you know objectively what shape you are in and if you will be able to healthily carry a second child.
  • berchen82
    berchen82 Posts: 59
    I was 196lbs for my first pregnancy and gained another 30lbs. So this was very high for me. I had no problems within the pregnancy but afterwards for loosing the gained pounds and more.
    For my next pregnancy I would like to start with under 180lbs.
This discussion has been closed.