Pregnant... now what to eat?!?

Options
A few months ago I really started to feel like crud... I LOOKED like crud all of a sudden. I had deep black circles around my eyes I was showing skin discoloration that most women get after 20+ years on "the pill" and just all around everything was pointing towards hormone issues. So I started researching and I was showing almost all signs of pre-menopause at 25!! YIKES!! Well some of the main things they tell you to do is lower your carb intake and take really heavy duty vitamins and get active. Sooooo I did and guess what... I'm pregnant!!! lol Not exactly the best timing in the world but I am accepting this as something that was meant to be so I am just rolling with it!

Anyway... I was eating between 1200-1500 cals a day and right around 100g of carbs a day and having fantastic success! 37lbs in 3 months. I gained 4lbs this week because I had stopped watching my carb intake. My first doctor's appt is next friday so in the meantime what am I supposed to be eating? Carbs mean weight gain for me and I had read on here to set calories to maintenence mode while pregnant but that means 2490 cals a day... ummm what???

My stats:
5' 7"
25 yrs
235lbs
Activity level set to: lightly active

Replies

• zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    you don't need any extra calories and anything the 1st trimester and the 2nd and 3rd you only need to add an extra 300 calories a day to maintain a healthy pregnancy and healthy weight or weight gain
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would suggest working your way up to a maintence level of calories- like adding in 50-100 every couple of days. If you go from 1500-2300 your body is not going to handle it without gains.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What you absolutely should NOT do is get pregnancy advice from a bunch of strangers on a public web site. You SHOULD find an OB doc you trust, and work with them to formulate the best diet and exercise program for you.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've heard that you only need an additional 300-400 calories a day while pregnant. Just make sure and get rest, lots of water, fresh fruits and veggies and plenty of lean protein and you'll be good! Congrats sweetie on your baby!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've heard that you only need an additional 300-400 calories a day while pregnant. Just make sure and get rest, lots of water, fresh fruits and veggies and plenty of lean protein and you'll be good! Congrats sweetie on your baby!
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What you absolutely should NOT do is get pregnancy advice from a bunch of strangers on a public web site. You SHOULD find an OB doc you trust, and work with them to formulate the best diet and exercise program for you.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion...my opinion of your comment is - that's a bit rude. If she wants to reach out to fellow MFP folks and chat with folks in the same boat It's definitely her prerogative. Nothing wrong with shared knowledge and shared experiences. As she said she's going to the doctor soon but it's always nice to get feedback from people who have been though the same thing - hence the purpose of MFP.

:flowerforyou: Btw, congrats on being pregnant - enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options

As I stated in the first post, I already have an appt next week. As far as a doctor I trust? I actually DONT trust doctors at all. I trust people who have been there and "done that" far more.

edited to add: Thank you Quierstina for understanding!! lol Some people just spout off without actually reading it seems.
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have also heard how you eat during pregnancy is influential on your child’s eating habits. That is a study you may want to go look at. I know that I heard that, and thought, "Dang, I wish I hadn't eaten so much chocolate". Sure enough, my girl loves her chocolate chip cookies.
  • bcattoes
    Options

While everyone is entitled to their opinion...my opinion of your comment is - that's a bit rude. If she wants to reach out to fellow MFP folks and chat with folks in the same boat It's definitely her prerogative. Nothing wrong with shared knowledge and shared experiences. As she said she's going to the doctor soon but it's always nice to get feedback from people who have been though the same thing - hence the purpose of MFP.

It is not rude, it's good common sense. Getting pregnancy advice from anyone other than a trained professional is dangerous. Every body and every pregnancy is different.
  • Newmammaluv
    Options
    I have also heard how you eat during pregnancy is influential on your child’s eating habits. That is a study you may want to go look at. I know that I heard that, and thought, "Dang, I wish I hadn't eaten so much chocolate". Sure enough, my girl loves her chocolate chip cookies.

LOL I have heard that too certainly! This will be pregnancy # 2 for me and the first time I pretty much ate everything spicy I could get my hands on. My daughter, at 2, eats tuna stuffed jalapenos so there certainly might be a corrolation.
  • Newmammaluv
    Options
    Seriously, bcattoes, you are in the minority and certainly not the type of person I feel like dealing with today. Please stay out of this thread or I will be reporting you. Be constructive or just stay away.

Besides that, I have gone through 12 years of life not being able to process carbs and having it wreak havok on my life without a single doctor ever paying attention to me or even taking the time to look past the number on the scale. Can I trust these same people to actually listen to me now?? Nope. The medical community has a place but it certainly isn't in childbirth.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with my 3rd child RIGHT after I had gotten down below my goal weight (I was 127 lbs! WHAT?!).
    Unfortunately, the second I found out I was pregnant, I stopped being "good" and really gave up all of my good habits. I ended gaining my normal average (46 lbs - I'd gained 50 with my daughter and 42 with my son) and now that he is 21 months, I'm on my way to losing the weight yet again!
    It's hard to give up that hard work, but let me encourage you to continue to work out (with modifications, of course, since your core will be going through a lot and your ligaments and joints will be loosey goosey due to the pregnancy) and focus on making healthy food choices with good portions.

Don't give in to the M&M and cereal craving monster! LOL!

Right now, we aren't trying, aren't preventing... so it's just a matter of time before I'll be heeding my own advice here!
    Congratulations on your successes already! You are already starting this pregnancy off healthier and more fit! That is amazing!! :)
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options

It is not rude, it's good common sense. Getting pregnancy advice from anyone other than a trained professional is dangerous. Every body and every pregnancy is different.

My opinion is that is rude. Your tone was/is condescending and insulting - not supportive or encourage. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off that way - but you did. I get the sense that you read her initial question and spouted off without reading the entire post.

When I was pregnant I spoke to doctors, family and friends and decided what was best for me. As I said you're entitled to your opinion and your views on what sense is common as am I.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I was just a few pounds heavier (240 or so) than you are now when I got pregnant with my daughter five years ago. At the time, I was regularly doing low-impact Jazzercise 3 times a week, but not actively trying to lose weight. I used a midwife rather than an OB for my last two pregnancies (the first ended in miscarriage) after several unsatisfactory attempts to find an OB that was more interested in helping me get healthy (and be more sensitive to miscarriages) than just prescribe me drugs to get me pregnant.

At 235, a minimum of 2000 calories sounds right based on my experience. Because you are overweight, you should pay special attention to sodium (don't necessarily stop salting your food, but DO avoid hidden sodium in processed foods), get plenty of healthy proteins, drink a lot of water--it will help ward off pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes. Focus on naturally occurring and minimally process carbohydrates (you need them) from fruits, vegetables, and whole grain. You should be able to make it through pregnancy with only 15-20 pounds gained...that is what is considered healthy at your current weight/BMI.

I had no net weight gain during my pregnancy. I lost 20 pounds during my first trimester and only regained that weight the rest of my pregnancy (a bunch of that being retained water during my last few weeks). I wasn't puking every morning, but I lost all desire for sweets and carbs; my appetite was markedly decreased. I ate a ton of lean protein and vegetables; I continued with the aerobics twice a week and regularly walked until 35 weeks or so. I delivered a healthy 6lb. 7oz. girl at 37.5 weeks (after 19 hours of labor). I was down to 225 a couple of weeks after giving birth.

I did track my food during pregnancy, but rather than counting calories I was just trying to manage my sodium intake and ensure I was getting enough protein. If I was eating healthy, whole foods my midwife never "slapped" my hand...lol.

Good luck and congratulations.
  • bcattoes
    Options

My opinion is that is rude. Your tone was/is condescending and insulting - not supportive or encourage. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off that way - but you did. I get the sense that you read her initial question and spouted off without reading the entire post.

When I was pregnant I spoke to doctors, family and friends and decided what was best for me. As I said you're entitled to your opinion and your views on what sense is common as am I.

If you consider telling someone who is dieting to seek medical advice on how to safely control her weight while pregnant, instead of advice from strangers on the web as rude, then I really don't understand that at all.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

If you consider telling someone who is dieting to seek medical advice on how to safely control her weight while pregnant, instead of advice from strangers on the web as rude, then I really don't understand that at all.

Sometimes it isn't what you say...but how you say it. She clearly stated that she had an appointment booked with a caregiver.

Pregnancy doesn't really change what your body needs to sustain itself. Since she's been doing so well for the last few months, she's likely positioned well to start a healthy pregnancy.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options
    BTW, OP, depending on how far along you are...keep in mind that your blood volume begins to increase significantly and can contribute to "gain".
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I agree. Lots of people on here have great intentions, but they are not educated in your specific health needs like an OB would. Best to consult your doctor.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Options

I agree. Lots of people on here have great intentions, but they are not educated in your specific health needs like an OB would. Best to consult your doctor.

Come on people! It isn't like she said, "Can all of your complete strangers coach me through my dietary needs for my entire pregnancy?" NO! She asked what she should be eating between now and her appointment since she's been restricting calories for several months. For pete's sake,barring some serious existing health concern, she could eat nothing but milkshakes and cheeseburgers between now and then...and be just fine.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Hello and congrats!
    Just continue to eat healthy, drink plenty of water and continue being active. Pretty much what you've been doing. Don't worry about the weight gain too much. I believe, depending on your starting weight, a gain of 30 lbs is acceptable.
    If you are still concerned, ask to see a nutritionist.