Newbie From Texas

:glasses: Hello everyone.

My name is Valerie, a Texas gal who has been overweight for most of my life. I guess the pounds started to add up right after I married my first husband. Since then, I have been adding to my collection. In the past, I have tried various fad diets which I bailed on because I wasn't losing weight fast enough or they were "too hard." For a while I took prescribed diet pills which worked wonders but after a year of being off them, I gained back my weight.

A few months ago my doctor suggested weight loss surgery. I was excited because I was finally going to lose weight. I jumped online and read everything I could find on gastric bypass surgery. I was gung ho about this and couldn't wait. Then one night I was talking to my husband and he said something that made me stop and see things differently. In nutshell he said if I devoted as much time and determination to losing weight as I was trying to learn about surgery, I could actually lose weight So the wheels in my head began to turn.

I started to ask myself questions like, would truly gain anything from surgery? I mean other than losign weight fast, would my eating habits change? Would I exercise more? Would I change my entire lifestyle? Would my family beneift from WSL? And the answers were all no. So here I am now. I want to change my life not just find another quick fix. It took me years to get to where I am now. Now it's time to undo the wrong and make things right. I have to change how I eat, how I see myself, how I feed my kids, etc... or else I will never be truly free from being overweight. Even if I had the surgery, I feel I would still be trapped in the mind of a obese person.

So here I am trying to do the right thing for a change. I know it's not going to be easy and I feel ready to face my weight with a new attitude. I have to take each day one at a time and learn from trial and error.

Valerie

Replies

• :glasses: Hello everyone.

My name is Valerie, a Texas gal who has been overweight for most of my life. I guess the pounds started to add up right after I married my first husband. Since then, I have been adding to my collection. In the past, I have tried various fad diets which I bailed on because I wasn't losing weight fast enough or they were "too hard." For a while I took prescribed diet pills which worked wonders but after a year of being off them, I gained back my weight.

A few months ago my doctor suggested weight loss surgery. I was excited because I was finally going to lose weight. I jumped online and read everything I could find on gastric bypass surgery. I was gung ho about this and couldn't wait. Then one night I was talking to my husband and he said something that made me stop and see things differently. In nutshell he said if I devoted as much time and determination to losing weight as I was trying to learn about surgery, I could actually lose weight So the wheels in my head began to turn.

I started to ask myself questions like, would truly gain anything from surgery? I mean other than losign weight fast, would my eating habits change? Would I exercise more? Would I change my entire lifestyle? Would my family beneift from WSL? And the answers were all no. So here I am now. I want to change my life not just find another quick fix. It took me years to get to where I am now. Now it's time to undo the wrong and make things right. I have to change how I eat, how I see myself, how I feed my kids, etc... or else I will never be truly free from being overweight. Even if I had the surgery, I feel I would still be trapped in the mind of a obese person.

So here I am trying to do the right thing for a change. I know it's not going to be easy and I feel ready to face my weight with a new attitude. I have to take each day one at a time and learn from trial and error.

Valerie
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Hi Valerie!
    I'm glad you came on board! Everyone here is really supportive and it's a great site! I'm glad you opted out of the surgery. I know this way seems harder but I think the rewards of it will be far greater than if you had surgery.
    I'm from the DFW area. Where do you live?
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Valerie,
    Sounds like we have a lot in common. I am so sick of feeling like this! I used to be able to cut back on what I eat and lose ten pounds. Now I gain more when I do that! And where did this upper belly come from! I never had that before. LOL Anyway, I invited you as a friend. Being new to this I'm not sure of what I am doing. Good luck and if you would like a friend, I am here for you as well.
    -Jen
  • Nice to meet you! I live in Lubbock but I used to live in Alvarado and Rockwall eons ago.

Yep, having surgery really looked good to me.. Especially knowing my best friend's wife had it and she lost over 150 lbs. Then there is my mother in law who lost about 50 in a year. Her lifestyle also influenced my decision on skipping out on surgery. I want more than a quick fix. I want lasting changes.

Valerie :smile:
  • Hey! Nice to meet you... I am still learning the ins and outs of this site. I find it great because I can work on making my own meals without having to worry about those fancy looking meals. I want to focus on learning how to eat right then work on making my meals more gourmet or in my opinion fancy LOL... The added perk of this being free is great too. I can't afford to buy into Ediet, Weight Watchers, etc...

Hey how do you add a friend? By the way thanks for adding me.. I will add you too.. as soon I figure out how LOL..

Val
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    I clicked on your screen name and there is a thing to add a friend.Not sure what happens after that though! LOL We'll keep in touch
  • good luck valerie, And it wont be easy but it just takes little steps and then you'll start seeing the changes. Dont get discouraged.

good luck
    Beth
  • It's all about the attitude. I read something about an attitude check and I am trying to change my life based on what I learned:

* Reaching a certain size or weight won't necessarily make me happy.
    * There are no shortcuts to achieving what I want.
    * Excuses ( I don't have time, I'm too tired, etc...) won't wash it.
    * Each improvement I make, not just pounds lost, is worth acknowledgement.
    * Setbacks are going to happen.
    * Losing weight takes willpower... ( commitment)
    * Physical activity is non-negotiable.
    * I can love my family and friends.... and still take care of myself.

I got this out of Guide to Good Eating by Bob Greene.