Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack (and sciatica)

Options
I have (what has now become) a recurring issue with sciatic inflammation. Chiropractors aren't able to resolve, and I've been checked out by my GP (including x-rays) to make sure it's not a bulging disc or anything more serious causing it. At this point, everything's clear, and I've been given 2 instructions: 1) Ibuprofen every morning and evening, and 2) Core strengthening exercises. The exercises on the paper I received are just lame, and I'd like something a bit more aggressive (even if it means I've got to do it at a lower intensity for a time).

I stumbled on Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack and am considering that, but before I do, I was hoping to find from anyone who's done this workout what they thought of it (and what, if any, additional items are needed).

Also - if anyone's got experience with sciatica/sciatic inflammation and has other tips, etc - I'd love to hear! :smile:

TIA!

Replies

• Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've heard that Jillian Michaels 6-pack is No Joke, I heard it's real tough, but definitly does give results, I do the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown, and it's intense everytime! I love her, she gives me the motiviation and burn I need! Her vids Are amazing and intense! Good luck to ya!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    actually i do streching every mornng before i get out of bed for my back. I also do alot of core/ab exercises. Swimming is also great
  • Kimmy5
    Kimmy5 Posts: 1
    Options
    :flowerforyou: its defintely NOT a low impact dvd, she incorporates alot of cardio in the dvd, i'm sure you can find some motifications if needed. I was only able to do about 15 minutes the other nite (time constraint) but i can defintely feel it. I'm going to attempt the full 35 minutes tonite. If you get it, i would look at amazon.com first :) good luck!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've used this Jillian Michaels workout and I love it. It is very challenging, more so the first few times you do it, but you will not do a single crunch, which I love! The only thing you'll need for the first level is a pair of dumbbells (but don't feel bad if you go without them for the first few times you do the video) and space. Her moves are very dynamic. You can count on this routine to be cardio as well because it's non-stop gut-wrenching work....but I love that kind of thing. Everything can be done in moderation and one of her girls does the modified version of everything.

Jillian is super motivational too. She's in your face pushing you, but congratulating at the end, which is exactly how a trainer should be. I think you'll enjoy her stuff...especially if you understand that working the core is about more than just the crunch.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've used this Jillian Michaels workout and I love it. It is very challenging, more so the first few times you do it, but you will not do a single crunch, which I love! The only thing you'll need for the first level is a pair of dumbbells (but don't feel bad if you go without them for the first few times you do the video) and space. Her moves are very dynamic. You can count on this routine to be cardio as well because it's non-stop gut-wrenching work....but I love that kind of thing. Everything can be done in moderation and one of her girls does the modified version of everything.

Jillian is super motivational too. She's in your face pushing you, but congratulating at the end, which is exactly how a trainer should be. I think you'll enjoy her stuff...especially if you understand that working the core is about more than just the crunch.
    Perfect - this is what I needed to hear. I'm not looking for crunches - I can do those on my own, LOL. And, I am weird in that if I don't feel pain/exhaustion, I don't feel like I've done anything - so I'm not looking for the easy way out. I'm hoping that this gets into other core muscles as well - not just the abs (looks like it does).

Thanks again!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You should do the doctors strength program before taking on anything else for your core. I'm in the same boat. If you are weak in the core and already causing nerve issues, doing to much will have the opposite affect. You may really pinch it up and take yourself out completely from exercise.
  • anavalentino46
    Options
    I am going to try this today I have all of jillians workouts but tend to stick to 30ds and Banish fat...
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've got severe sciatica issues myself, and like you, there wasn't much wrong found in my xrays. Did the physical therapy too.. I think when I STOP working out is when it comes back. I have a desk job so I can understand why it's not good to sit for extended periods of time. Anyway! During the summer I did Brazil Butt Lift (Beach Body exercise) and P90X to help build that core strength.. It seemed to help until I stopped for one reason or another. Right now, I'm barely mobile inching myself around the house and in a lot of pain. :( I'm hoping it goes away, I've had this problem 3 years off and on...

If anyone knows of a long-term solution to rid sciatica, that would be so helpful!