Need motivation to stop the roller coaster

Options
I have been up and down with my weight since 2007. I finally quit smoking in January 2011(which I am very proud of). I have been staying right rown 220 ils for the past few months. I want out. I want to get back under 200 and stay there. It seems like I come so close but then fall off. I love food and Dr Pepper. Going to try and break up with Dr Pepper again this weekend. I am trying to make smarter choices with eating as much as I can. I have a problem eating our and eating unecessary amounts after dinner. I want it.. just don't know how to stay focused.

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Start with a transition.. move to Diet Dr Pepper and add lots of water.. you'll get used to the water. Then just make sure to count all your calories. I usually check before I eat. There is something very empowering about seeing your choice and seeing the calories, then making a conscious decision to make a better choice.

You can do this.. you just have to do it for YOU!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You hold all the power. When the student is ready the teacher will come. I had a Psychology Teacher tell me that once, I didn't get it at the time. Now I do.
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    any way I can help let me know.....
    TimL
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I highly recommend making small changes and lowering calories gradually. Every other time I've tried to diet, I got SO hungry and couldn't keep it up, but this time I've slowed down and am making it work for ME. Start with cutting out Dr. Pepper (or switching to diet) and eating more (way more) veggies for a week. Then next week focus on eating better breakfasts, then better snacks, then smaller portion sizes, etc. Tackling everything at once was too much change (and not enough food!) for me but taking is slower has really been working.

The support on here is GREAT too! Feel free to friend me!
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Club soda works for me if I have a craving for pop. There's no asparatame like the diet pops so it's better for you - you just have to get used to the fact that there's no taste. You could put a splash of juice if you wish. Do you work out? Since you have to be accountable on MFP, you have to work out to get more calories in order to eat more. I love food too, but MFP has put me on track to not eat everything in sight. It's all about choices...
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I'm with you and I have to second the Club Soda part -
    Congrats on smoking cessation - that is fantastic and I just recently "re-quit" and I'm calling this one for good :)

I find that the club soda is better because it's calorie free and agree with Wanda that many people suffer from side effects from drinking aspartame - so if you can cut it completely - awesome for you!!!

As for the snacking at night - I heat up a bag of frozen green beans or broccoli at night in order to fight those cravings - it seems to really help - maybe that would work?
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You just need to get mad at yourself...Everytime you want to pick up that bad food choice you ask is it worth it. Set a goal for youself...When i loose X amount of pounds i am going to do this for myself.

7202288.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RealTanyah
    RealTanyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do drink lots of water... and would rather skip the diet pop... SO NASTY lol I wish Dr Pepper wasnt so easily accessible at work.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome! New to the MFP myself! I'm on the rollercoaster myself! I love diet soda - especially Diet Dr. Pepper! I'm trying to not drink as much as I have been - switching to water. I find it helps with the cravings between meals!

Hoping to get motivation from these boards and would welcome you to friend me so we can go on the journey together!