How do you add "Zumba" in exercise?

I did a search for it and nothing came up. Any suggestions?

Replies

• hellaamber
    hellaamber Posts: 12
    i usually log it in as "dancing, aerobic" or "dancing, general". But its a really intense class, I will do half "general aerobics" and half "dancing, general".
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    If you have Google Chrome, you can go to: www.zumbacalories.com, put in your information, and it will give you an idea of how you did. It's not going to be 100%, but it's probably closer than using something else.

Before I found the website, I just guessed that I burned on the lower end of 500 or so for an hour class. Without a HRM it's hard to find a really accurate source.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I log it as aerobic - high impact and since I've been eating/drinking close to the calories this site says I should with weight loss I guess it must be pretty close.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    When I compared it to my heart rate monitor "dancing, general" was almost spot on for me. I'm 5'7, weigh 175 lbs.
  • i put down "dancing general" and guestimate 500 calories
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    I have wii Zumba and a HRM. I'm 5'2" and have been 135-145# doing this. For me it was more than dancing of any sort. More like slow running. In an hour I can burn 400-700 calories. Not the 1000 Zumba claims, but each class, instructor, and music is different. Also intensity changes with your effort. I would at least use High Impact Aerobics in the MFP database to be "safe" estimate.

On the wii I found no difference in calories burned for beginner, or expert. In fact I did better with intermediate than expert for calories burned and intensity with the exception of one or 2 songs.