Suggestions for a veggie dip?

BigZ486
BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
I've never tried Greek yogurt before, but it seems like it's thick enough to use as a dip if I mix some sort of seasoning blend (low sodium) into it...I think it'd be a good way to turn my normal afternoon work snack of a cup of yogurt into a way to eat more veggies.

Does anyone know some good dry mix that I can use to make a tasty (and low sodium!) veggie dip?

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    I like the Lipton Vegetable soup mix.....not sure on the sodium though. What about hummus???
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Minced cucumbers and dill and add it to the yogurt. If you don't talk to anyone during the day you could add some minced garlic and onion. I would leave it out if there are people around you. It is very offensive to others. Unless you don't like the people you work with. lol
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hidden Valley Harvest Dill dry mix. YUM!
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    @McFatterton: I've tried hummus before, I don't particularly like its texture. And this cup of yogurt is my only daily source of dairy, I feel like I should keep some dairy in my diet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    You might try experimenting with Mrs. Dash seasonings. They have no sodium and come in lots of flavors. Some lemon or lime juice might help kick those flavors up a bit more, too. I made a white sauce for fish tacos using just sour cream and lime juice and it was already tasty, I think it would work well for Greek yogurt, too.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    @McFatterton: I've tried hummus before, I don't particularly like its texture. And this cup of yogurt is my only daily source of dairy, I feel like I should keep some dairy in my diet.

You might really like the Laughing Cow cheeses. I will be having that with veggies after trying it today. Really delicious! I have been playing around with Greek Yogurt too. The only thing I've found that I like so far is the Hidden Valley Harvest Dill dry mix with it and use it as a veggie dip. But I did like the one with strawberries and I added a drop of almond extract. But I had to put it in the freezer for awhile and let it get really, really cold. :)
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    You should definitely buy some hummus! It comes in tons of flavors, and it's a delicious source of protein. :) My favorite brand is Sabra.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Dill weed, dash of garlic, and cayenne pepper for spice. I like this on frozen/thawed peas.

You could also finely mince carrots and red/green bell pepper.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    You should definitely buy some hummus! It comes in tons of flavors, and it's a delicious source of protein. :) My favorite brand is Sabra.

Really like Sabra hummus!!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix. And lots of veggies, a few water crackers.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    I make a roasted garlic and spinach dip with Greek yogurt. I roast my own garlic and stick it in the food processor. I mix a handful of frozen spinach in and add a touch of salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.
  • ive got a thing for eating my carrot sticks with reduced cream and onion soup mix yum!!! (not shua about sodium tho)
    good luck
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Alright, the mrs dash in the yogurt is a fantastic idea! As for hummus, you might consider the flavors. Sweet red pepper is really good,while plain can be a bit boring. I will need to try the mrs dash!
    Jac
  • fat free chobani greek yogurt onion, garlic powder, veggie flakes parsley basil to taste garlic and onion salt for the salty flavor but if watching the sodium use sparingly
    the onion soup mix is good but the sodium and carbs in it are way too much for me..

Lipton Onion soup mix(1 Packet)
    Serving Size: 1 serving
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 80.0
    Total Fat 0.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 2,440.0 mg
    Potassium 0.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 0.0 g
  • oh and i add fat free feta as well as the spices
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I know this isn't a dry spice, but when I'm making a small amount of dressing or dip for my veggies I mix light sour cream with a packet of Taco Bell hot sauce (stolen in bulk from the store, lol) The Hot is only 45mg sodium. Fire has a little bit more, and Mild has a little less.

I also like Mrs. Dash for seasoning.