Weight loss plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Oh, that makes sense. I have my MFP set to losing a pound and a half a week, but I don't feel like I'm eating too little. Sometimes I feel like I eat too much (that may be why i hit a plateau also haha) and I'm not really losing inches, I'm not gaining anything either. I'm just stuck at this one spot. I do eat a lot of the same things every day. I'm going to try to switch things up a bit and go harder on my cardio than I have been. Thanks for the tips everyone :)
    this is soooo me. wasn't losing...not losing inches either. i kept hearing about how adding calories might help. it just seemed so counter intuitive to me.
    got back from vacay after not logging anything and eating different foods...and I lost weight!
    i'm a creature of habit. i love logging my calories..and am diligent about it. i tend to eat the same things every day and exercise the same way.
    i threw that alll out the window when i went on vacay.
    it was a lighbulb moment for me when i came home and lost weight. now i *get* it
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    and cris..i agree with everything you've posted
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've hit one, since I reached my first goal weight of 175. I found a new program on bodybuilding.com for fat loss that I am going to start on Monday to see if that helps!

Otherwise, I'm going to just have to switch up some more exercise and really work on eating much better.

Good luck!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Such a myth that women will bulk if lifting weights. (There might be some cases-genetically who do or who use supplements or steroids) It's almost impossible for a woman to bulk up as they do not have the testosterone to do so even if you lift heavy weights. I've been lifting heavy for almost five years and I am very lean.
    There are so many benefits to lifting weights---
    1. increases metabolism
    2. Muscle burns fat
    3. Continued calorie burning after workout
    4. Will change the shape of your body
    5. Makes you leaner and stronger
    6. Better joints
    7. Decreases risk of osteoporosis
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't feel I have changed my eating or exercising habits.. but the weight has stopped coming off

Thats exactly the problem then! you need to have a bit of a change with your exercise routine & try eating a bit more for a couple of days - maybe have an extra treat meal at the weekend?
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and am totally frustrated as well. My entire purpose for joining MFP was to stop with the 3 lb up and down I always seem to be doing, but here I am still.

I saw someone reply about modifying food and exercise. I'm not sure what food modification would help, but I ran M, W, and today. I should probably do more strength / circut training to balance out all my cardio, but honestly I am more interested in losing weight than building muscle. :/
    building muscles help to lose weight even when u r at rest or low actvity level
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Oh, that makes sense. I have my MFP set to losing a pound and a half a week, but I don't feel like I'm eating too little. Sometimes I feel like I eat too much (that may be why i hit a plateau also haha) and I'm not really losing inches, I'm not gaining anything either. I'm just stuck at this one spot. I do eat a lot of the same things every day. I'm going to try to switch things up a bit and go harder on my cardio than I have been. Thanks for the tips everyone :)
    this is soooo me. wasn't losing...not losing inches either. i kept hearing about how adding calories might help. it just seemed so counter intuitive to me.
    got back from vacay after not logging anything and eating different foods...and I lost weight!
    i'm a creature of habit. i love logging my calories..and am diligent about it. i tend to eat the same things every day and exercise the same way.
    i threw that alll out the window when i went on vacay.
    it was a lighbulb moment for me when i came home and lost weight. now i *get* it

I think you're actually 100% right here about being a creature of habit causing the plateau. I also was eating the same thing every day (almost literally...my food invariably tastes good (tasteless food is a sin lol...and when it's healthy too...it's easy to stick to)...mostly chicken, broccoli, spinach, and protien shakes. My exercises had been varied from bodyweight to P90x...but I don't think that alone was enough to shake things up. It took being sick, not eating...a crapload of stress...then eating totally different foods to restimulate my weight loss. It's pushing 3 weeks now...so I think it's time to change it up again...and go back to 100% clean eating and massive exercise for awhile.
    Such a myth that women will bulk if lifting weights. (There might be some cases-genetically who do or who use supplements or steroids) It's almost impossible for a woman to bulk up as they do not have the testosterone to do so even if you lift heavy weights. I've been lifting heavy for almost five years and I am very lean.
    There are so many benefits to lifting weights---
    1. increases metabolism
    2. Muscle burns fat
    3. Continued calorie burning after workout
    4. Will change the shape of your body
    5. Makes you leaner and stronger
    6. Better joints
    7. Decreases risk of osteoporosis

This deserves an amen lol.

To the original poster...don't just up your cardio...change the format of your cardio to intervals. I post this link all over the place...but it's for good reason:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Cardio in the traditional format isn't designed for fat loss. Period. It can be made to work...but it's like using a pipe wrench as a hammer...or a pocket knife as a screwdriver.

The right tool for the job folks =D.

Cris