workouts when staying in a hotel

charl100
charl100 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

In my job i have to stay away alot, usually full weeks at a time to see a project through start to finish. Anyone got any routine or tips for exercising in your hotel room? I generally don't know the areas that well so running might not be the safest thing to do..........

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    If I were you, (assuming you have internet access,) I'd look up some workout videos online. There is tons of stuff on youtube and its totally worth giving a look.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    I know a ton of business people that do Insanity because they can do it in a small area and doesn't take equipment.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    bring jump rope, water bottle.

Tabata, HIIT if you go outside by the pool/lobby (google them).

dvds....
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    dont they usually have like free gyms and stuff at hotels?
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    You could clear a little space and do an excercise dvd on a computer in your room or a workout from youtube videos if you have internet.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I travel a lot too and almost every hotel has a free gym, including the cheapo Hampton Inn and Fairfield Inn types. Do the hotels you generally stay at not have that option?
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Do the hotels have a gym and/or a pool? Take advantage of these areas.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    bring a small dvd player and by Jillian Michaels 30 days shred. 20 minutes a day and you'll be shredded in a month!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    i do all of my excercises in my bedroom... sit-ups, toe touches, dancing, jogging in place, 3lb weight lifting while jogging in place and dancing, resistance bands... also hotels have stairs generally.. some have pools... they at least have a hallway you can walk up and down... some even have weight rooms... I burn 600calories a day by never leaving my bedroom and never having any equipment other than my 3 lbs weights and resistance bands--but you could turn anything into weights.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    I travel a lot for work too, and it can be a PITA when there are no facilities to exercise. I usually just walk, but I'm taking my resistance bands with me next time and looking to pick up a skipping rope as well.

I reckon if I do lunges, squats, skipping and some resistance work that'll do!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Hi,

In my job i have to stay away alot, usually full weeks at a time to see a project through start to finish. Anyone got any routine or tips for exercising in your hotel room? I generally don't know the areas that well so running might not be the safest thing to do..........

Whenever possible find a hotel with a gym or a pool. If those are not available resistance bands don't take up much room in bag. If you are packing a laptop you could also try some low impact DVDs. I've also seen travel weights that are made are made of inflatible plastic and can be filled with water.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    I travel with a set of bodylastics and take advantage of any available gym or pool.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    I suggest googling it. I also know some companies sell travel workout kits that have things like resistance bands to use in your room. here are just a few of the things I found when I googled "travel workout"

http://exercise.about.com/library/bltravelworkout.htm
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm
    http://www.freeworkoutsguide.com/travelworkout.html
    http://www.versastick.com/
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    I loaded a free dvd player on my laptop. Whenever I travel, I just play the dvds on my laptop. I put all the dvds in a cd case so they're in one easy place. I do Insanity because you don't need any equipment. (I can't imagine trying to lug around all the weights you would need with P90X while travelling). I keep toying with the idea of copying them to my computer, but never actually do it. Also, like many other posters have said, lots of hotels have gyms.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Agree with everyone else that you should use the hotel gym if possible...although appreciate this isn't always an option. (Sometimes even if they have a gym you wouldn't want to use it...I went in one in London one time and this creepy old guy was just staring at me the whole time so I had to abandon my workout after 10 minutes!)

I have also been asked to "refrain from making un-necessary noise" when doing P90X Plyo and 30 Day Shred workouts in my room. I guess thundering up and down on the floor isn't the most considerate thing to do at 5.30am...

My best recommendation for hotel room workouts is to get yourself a TRX suspension training kit. Okay...they're not that cheap (I had to ask for mine as a birthday prezzie!) but it's the absolute best thing you can do in a hotel room - plus it's super light and small to carry in your suitcase. Hook it onto the door and you're off...a workout so good I sometimes do it just at home as well!

Good luck! And good on you for not using nights away as an excuse to skip a workout!! :happy:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Check out my blog for some body weight stuff you could easily do in a hotel room. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner
This discussion has been closed.