Drinking and weight loss

Is there any way around it? That drinking sabatoges weight loss?? I plan on living it up this weekend. Cause I like to live a little. But tracking those calories really freak me out... there's soooo many in alcohol. And I'm no lightweight...damn!

I stick to light beer, but damn I love those twisted teas. And red wine- yummmm! Especially Our Daily Red (organic, sulfite, and hangover-free!!) I refuse to get anything sweet that's also 'Light' or sugar free as I would rather not add the artificial sweetener to my already poison-drinking ways. Plus that's a bigger hangover. Ugh. no. I don't drink any pop or soda- diet or regular. So if I do have hard alcohol, it's juice or water only, but juice can still add mega calories and sugar.

What alcohol do you like to drink that you don't think causes you to gain weight?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I drink wine and as I tell my friends, if I didn't drink i'd easily weigh 10 pounds less. I've heard it slows down your metabolism and makes me bloated.

I find beer has less of an effect on my weight loss. I don't really drink hard alcohol but imagine it would be the worst.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    bump!
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    I haven't really found any alcohols that contribute to my weight loss...but what I have found is that since I've cut back on drinking A LOTTTTT, I have become a lightweight :p I know that's not very encouraging...but now I can a good buzz going from just one drink...It's kind of sad...but financially beneficial and also helps keep the calories down.

So maybe not the best advice but maybe taking it easy for a little while...then when you do drink you don't have to throw back drink after drink just to get a good buzz.
  • Catiec76
    Catiec76 Posts: 55 Member
    This weekend is totally going to bite after I have been so on track. How do you say no to the alcohol and the snacks? This weekend is going to be very hard. I guess only way to even the alcohol out is to work out a lot and then you earn extra calories.
  • cschnepf
    cschnepf Posts: 12
    I think you have to be sensible about how often, how many, and plan for a healthy snack at the end of the night.

I found this article not to long ago, maybe it will help you as it did me:
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/alcohol.htm
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    I haven't really found any alcohols that contribute to my weight loss...but what I have found is that since I've cut back on drinking A LOTTTTT, I have become a lightweight :p I know that's not very encouraging...but now I can a good buzz going from just one drink...It's kind of sad...but financially beneficial and also helps keep the calories down.

So maybe not the best advice but maybe taking it easy for a little while...then when you do drink you have to throw back drink after drink just to get a good buzz.

Oh yeah - this in spades! I used to be able to drink anyone under the table but I'm such a lightweight now that it barely takes me one or two drinks to feel a proper buzz. I tend to stick to gin and tonic but I have slipped into beerland a few times. Oops. :bigsmile:
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    You can always donate blood to reduce your drinking ability lol.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    I still drink when I want to. On days I know I'm going out, I'll try to scale back on my food calories so I have some extra left over.

I'm finding that I drink a lot less though. MFP really holds me accountable to my calorie goal and I feel guilty when I go over.

I did indulge recently though. A few weeks ago, I had 3 parties, 3 days in a row... a Friday night birthday (um, I live in Vegas), Sat. afternoon BBQ (food and beer O.O) and then a going away brunch on Sunday (all you can drink bloody marys & mimosas). I drank a lot that weekend. THEN, I felt HORRIBLE for about 10 days after. I felt completely sluggish, my ankles and feet were swollen for days and I had no weight loss at my next 2 weigh ins.

I've decided that it's not worth it anymore. After a few drinks, I'm DONE.
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member

So maybe not the best advice but maybe taking it easy for a little while...then when you do drink you have to throw back drink after drink just to get a good buzz.

Oh yeah - this in spades! I used to be able to drink anyone under the table but I'm such a lightweight now that it barely takes me one or two drinks to feel a proper buzz. I tend to stick to gin and tonic but I have slipped into beerland a few times. Oops. :bigsmile:

HAHA! oh me too.. I could easily have 10 shots and still be coherent. And now I could have a glass of hard cider and feel loopy.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Extra dry champagne!! One 6 oz glass only has about 90 calories.
  • babybluz33
    babybluz33 Posts: 722 Member
    I went out last week, drank a lot and was appalled when I entered all my drinks in MFP (oh the calories!!!). Of all the drinks I had that night, turns out Patron had the fewest calories (69/oz.). The juices and other fillers in the rest of my drinks really upped the calories. I refuse to give up drinking, I only do it every once in a while as it is, but I'll definitely be increasing my workouts when I do and trying to avoid those high calorie drinks.