Do you still eat your exercise calories if you are not hungr

drmario09
drmario09 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a big guy. And my starting point for calories is a little higher. I've adjusted my calorie intake everytime I drop weight. As soon as I started working out and eating 5 times a day, my calories increased from exercise calories. Recently I started a wonderful exercise program with by spinning. I burn a ton of calories during this 1 hour. That said, sometimes at the end of the day I still have 600-700 calories left over and but I am stuffed?

Should I continue to eat them? Or use my common sense and just let it go?

Replies

• RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    I'd say just let those calories go; eating when you're not hungry is a bad habit to get into. Your body will tell you if you're not eating enough.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    If you are full I wouldnt eat them.
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Share the calories with those of use who are hungry!!! :)

JK!!

Keep up the good work.
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    I wouldnt eat them. I am not a professional. With that being said, I NEVER eat my exercise calories. Lost 76 lbs in 5 and a half months. Whatever works for you.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Profanity. Just Profanity. There is so much good research about this out there...

You NEED to be eating at least some of your calories back. The reason for this is your body can't handle having more than a 1000 (ish) calorie deficit. If you use so much more than you eat, your body adjusts by slowing your metabolism... causing you to not lose weight as fast.

Seriously, it's true. Having something like a BodyMedia FIT can really show you your TRUE deficit. It's so easy to just exercise and not make up those calories (Exercise takes away hunger pains, at least until hours later) but to keep your metabolism sped up, you need them back!

Seriously, Bodybuilders, endurance runners, professional athletes, and successful weight loss experts can be all wrong, right?

While you might have success with not eating at least them back, it will end up plateauing you. Plus, your muscles won't build and get stronger, because you arent feeding them!

If you arent concerned about muscle growth, then I guess you COULD skip em, but it will still slow your efforts.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist. I'm not claiming to know everything. I've just done my research about doing this right.
    By all means, Don't take my word for it. Ask ANY nutritionist.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Check this thread out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

And this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

And this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

Cliff notes: since you're a bigger person with more to lose, you don't need to worry as much about it, but you CANNOT rely on the "i'm not feeling hungry so I shouldn't eat" philosophy, as explained in the first link above. It's much more healthy to pick a reasonable calorie goal for your activity level and goals, and eat that no matter what. If you're having trouble, make sure you get higher-calorie, but still healthy, foods in, like avocado, eggs, oils like olive, coconut, etc.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Nope, I eat when I am hungry period. I have lost 81 lbs this way, have a ton of energy, look good. It's all about doing what works for YOU.
  • drmario09
    drmario09 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the great information!
This discussion has been closed.