Basset hounds are not great workout buddies.

Options
Just thought you'd all like to know that.

I took my 3 year old Basset Hound, Beau, for a fairly long walk this afternoon. He has to jog/trot to keep up with my normal walking pace. Poor short-legged dog! I had to walk slower so he wouldn't get worn out before we got back home, no WAY am I carrying a 60-pound dog half a mile. He did like the part where we walked down the beach though, sniffing around and smelling the seabirds. Now that we're home, he's gone "flat Basset," a condition where Bassets collapse flat out on the floor and no force of heaven or earth can move them until they're ready to get up again. (AKA, stubborn doggie needs a LONG nap!)

Beau also "helps" with my regular workouts, licking my face while I do pushups, trying to crawl under my arms for a hug while I'm doing crunches, and sitting RIGHT in front of me while I'm doing knee lifts or kicks. He's my cheerleader.

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This. I. Love. Cheers for dogs.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Neither are British Bulldogs. He tries his darndest. :(
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Chihuahuas keep up a surprisingly good pace! LOL
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Aww. Cute.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Pugs aren't such great workout companions either! (I have three of them). :-) The youngest can come along on walks when the weather is cool, but he's exhausted afterward.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love this!! My fat lab loves to go for walks but just sprawls out on the tile as soon as we get home...the heat is not a friend for her! My weimer would make a great walking/jogging partner...unfortunately he thinks everything belongs to him and I have to make sure we don't cross paths with anyone (he is a rescue and apparently did not get much socialization when he was younger).
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Retrievers aren't great for workouts, either. I tried to take mine for a run and all he did was get right in front of me and stop. Eventually I just walked. It was either that or trip over an 80 pound dog every 3 steps. When I workout, I have to keep the door closed so he (or the other dogs) can't get to me in an effort to lick my face/get in my way/get kicked or hit. Although, once when I was doing crunches, my goldie DID lay on his back next to me like he was going to do them too. Hahaha :laugh:
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! so cute. all my kitties do is lounge on the couch and watch me as they drift off to sleep.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I had to put my basset hound down at the end of last summer. I was so sad. But I don't ever think I'd ever have another one. They are so stubborn! I literally had to wait one time on a walk for 30 min till he would get up and walk again. Then I bought a wagon so I could tow him home. But I did love it when he would flip his ear over his eyes to shade his eyes while he slept.

My vet once told me that I could walk to mexico with the dog and he'd still weigh the same. lol

That so made me smile. Great story...I miss my Flash....
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My tiny chihuahua is no workout buddy either..but i've felt under the weather today and she's been super loving! I'm always afraid i'll stomp her while working out..she weighs only 3 lbs.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Surprisingly my min pin can run 5kms, I was worried Id have to find a couch to 5kms program for him.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The Bulldog may be a bit lacklustre but I am telling you my English Stafford is a GREAT work-out partner. Endless energy and enthusiasm from that little guy.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    CUTE! My cats help me workout by napping on my yoga mats warming them up for me :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My beagle is the same way. He HAS to stop and smell every little thing, so walking him at my normal pace can feel like I'm dragging a 25 pound weight behind me. :) But I know he's happy when he collapses on his "couch" when we get home.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I had a Basset growing up. She was a great companion and loved to roam...at her pace. Now I have a golden that is related to the energizer bunny. Plus 3 cairn terriers....definetly not workout dogs.
  • cchelll
    cchelll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I loove Bassets. You are so lucky to have a great buddy.
  • bwilcox30
    bwilcox30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love this, my bassett cannot make it around the block. Gotta love him though!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 year old 8 lb poodle who is surprisingly quick but doesn't like to go anywhere but down the street to the park, If I try to walk anywhere else he lags behind or tries to go into people's yards like he thinks it's our house. The rott/shepherd runs too fast, I tried to keep up and I got bad shin pain for days. For her it's all or nothing. we're running fast or we're walking fast, nothing in between, that's why she goes to daycare 3 days a week.

LOVE DOGS! :love:
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    You would think my greyhounds would be wonderful running buddies, but no way!! When I have tried to break into a little run with them they either stop dead,or just trot along but look at me the whole time with the most incredulous expressions, like "don't you know we are retired??" or maybe it's "you silly human with your piddly pace, we are just humoring you when we can so easily crank it up to 35 mph!!"
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hahahah!! I have 3 mini foxies and they love to help me work out. I actually started using them as weights when I did crunches. They love walking too (not great with other dogs, but getting better) as long as I dont go further than 5 km ... any more and I end up carrying one or more back to the car. Luck their combined weight is like 15 kgs. Thats them in my ticker!