The PLATEAU

Options
Ok so I have been om My Fit Pal for over 50 days and lost 15 or so lbs. Usually between 15-20lbs lost I hit the Dreaded PLATEAU!!! Is there a way to avoid this or is this just a fact of losing weight and trying to become more fit??? Any advice would be helpful :)

Replies

• angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Try changing your workout routine. Interval training I have found to help me break the dreaded plateaus.
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am curious as well.
  • jazzy1129
    jazzy1129 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the same. Change up your workout routine. If you been walking, you might try jogging. Just something different. Your body may have adjusted to the work out you are currently doing. I dont know what your calorie intake is set too, but you might be able to adjust it as well.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am in the same place, so I googled how to break a plateau. This may help. http://www.wikihow.com/Break-a-Weight-Loss-Plateau Good luck!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm at a plateau too, same weight and size for about a month now!
    I'm reintroducing interval training, gonna stop eating *all* of my exercise calories (I don't think i burn as many as the machines say) and stop eating milk chocolate. (I'm totally a chocoholic!)
    Gonna really work on reducing my sugar intake. :)
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was able to get through my last one by doing 60-75 minutes of cardio instead of 45 and drinking lots and lots of green tea.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I upped my cal intake to adjust for 1lb/week loss instead of 2lbs like I had been doing before. I also changed up my exercise routine a little bit. It worked for me and a lot of people on my friends list.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When we begin our journey, weight loss is easier because we are making a drastic change! Remember day one? Week one? The plateau, unfortunately, is pretty unavoidable.

The PLaTeaU, which is where I've been hanging out for some time now, is an indication of a NEW health and fitness level. You should be very proud!! That means your body has become conditioned to your healthy and active lifestyle. Congratulations on your weight loss this far! Never forget what you have already accomplished. You've come a long way, Baby!

How to get off your plateau???..... the metabolic system is very complex! It's not an exact science where there is one solution for all or there would be no plateau. It can be as simple as changing up your routine and it can be hormonal. It could be that you're still sabotaging yourself with certain foods. Sugar? Sodium? You will have to try different things. There's a whole bunch here already, and I will not add more because it would be redundant.

The next thing I am going to do, however, is adopt the mind, the diet and routine of an athelete and not someone who is merely trying to lose weight. My fitness level is at a place where I can tolerate high energy workouts and minimum calories and it will regulate to maintain my weight, not lose it. I know it sounds AND it is very frustrating, but it is what a healthy body will do at some point (the plateau). Now I have to 'trick' it out of this place of comfort. I am going to see what an athelete would do to lose body fat - not necessarily just 'weight'. I am currently at 24% body fat, which is 'normal'; but now my goal is 18%.....like an athelete. I did not change my lifestyle to be 'average'..... I did it to be super fit..... atheletic! So I am NOT going to settle for average or 'normal'.....I am going to TRAIN like an athelete to look like an athelete! It is going to get intense around here!

It happens to all of us, but your will has to outlast your plateau. That is how you beat it!

KeeP ON.... getting FiT!