Do you still workout even when you don't want to?

Options
MoonIite
MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
Today is just one of those days where I am so incredibly tired and don't feel like doing anything beside lay on my couch and watch TV. It's not that I'm not seeing results, I am. I lost 1.7 pounds last week after exercising 5x a week. But today, I'm lacking motivation. My sis-in-law is skinny but eat fast food almost every week. And she doesn't gain any weight! I just wish I had her metabolism so I could eat twice as much as her. I do have sweets every day but not in big quantities. *sigh* I guess I'm little jealous because she can eat a whole bag of chips (big sized one) and a tub of Hagen Daz ice cream and still stay skinny.

Replies

• missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    The answer is yes. Go to the gym even if you don't want too. I don't want too right now but I'm about to force myself to get into my gym clothes and go. Once you're done with the work out you'll be happy you went anyways. As for your friend who can eat and eat and not gain a pound that doesn't mean anything. She is still clogging her arteries with fat and whatever else from all of that horrible junk she eats so while she may be skinny she is not healthy.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    The days you don't want to work out are the ones you need to! This is what I do: I tell myself that I need to start my workout and complete at least 10 minutes. If I am still feeling the same, I can stop and go hang out. I have never stopped. I usually complete my workout which is 30-60 minutes long. Just take a walk around the block or something, dance around the house! Just try to move for at least 30 minutes if you can. :O)
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i make myself work out for 10 mins. If I still feel crappy after those 10 mins i stop because i know my workout will not be very productive. Like today, I went hiking in the morning and wanted to do Insanity in the afternoon. I got home and had a terrible headache. I made myself get up and do the warmup. My body was telling me it had enough for the day.
  • LG2789
    LG2789 Posts: 20
    Options
    you'll never regret a workout, but you will probably regret not working out...
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    YES! I am about to force myself to do it right now! The thing is, have you ever felt crappy after completing a workout? The answer for me is always NO, I feel GREAT! I don't ever regret working out, so I know the hardest thing is just to get started.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always feel better after working out. I work out 6 days a week and today is my rest day I and feel guilty! But when I don't want to workout, I remind myself how much better I will feel afterwards and how guilty I will feel if I don't workout.....so I get up and do it! And I also get it out of the way first thing in the AM so I won't have time to procrastinate and not do it!
  • XBabigrl72
    XBabigrl72 Posts: 88
    Options
    It will catch up with her one day don't worry. And she'll be jealous of you because you took the time to work out and keep your motablosim healthy. If you really don't feel like working out today don't take a break and get up tomorrow and add maybe 10 mins to you're workout to make up for it. If I miss a 25 minute walk one day. I'll do a 40 minute walk the next day to make up for it. Every little bit counts. And if you're eating right it all works.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This is THE VERY WORST week for me to reply to this, because I just got back from the gym, after almost two weeks of failing to go. But, before that, choosing to go when I didn't want to was an absolute. In fact, it was the backbone of my commitment, because I knew that if I made/had an excuse, then I would find another reason again. So it is when I didn't feel like it that I was extra diligent to go. I did allow myself the option of a shorter workout, but once I got going, I always just did the whole thing. I almost always felt better, slept better, etc. afterward. For me, habit is everything.

In retrospect, maybe this is THE VERY BEST week for me to reply to this. Look what happened when I skipped.
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It will only suck to get started, once you've started it will only get better. Then you won't hate yourself for missing it!
  • shuggysmommy
    Options
    I never wanna work out but I have to. I can't think about what I want right now at this very moment I have to think about what I want in the future. And what I want in the future is to be healthy. There are days I wake up and I DREAD I mean DREAD starting my day but I have lost 16lbs in a little under 4 weeks and it has been so worth it. I feel better already. I know I have a lot more work to do. Good luck!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am going running later and I really am tired. But I need it and will do it. I know I'll feel great once I get going though.
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options
    Just did....
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Different people seem to get away with different things. Obviously your body doesn't seem to handle that kind of eating with positive results. You CAN dine out.. and you can do it without gaining weight if you choose wisely. You can also make fantastic food at home with a few ingredients and a little spare time. Get creative!

If you just don't have it in you today, go have a shower and start the day over. I believe water is the magic cure for the "blahs"
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Suck it up, you can do it , You will feel better when it is done
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    yes, do something like walk, bike etc...just move
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I'm going against the grain here but listen to your body. There are definitely times to suck it up and work out whether you feel like it or not but there are also times when you need to rest and you really need to rest one day a week. The times when I've pushed myself when I've literally felt too tired to work out I've usually gotten sick the next day.

I do like the one suggestion someone had, try working out for 10-15 minutes and see how you feel. If you still feel too tired then stop the workout and rest, at least you'll know you tried.

If you've been working out steadily every day then skipping one day to let your body rest is ok but you have to get right back to working out tomorrow.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll do my shorter workout tonight..:yawn:
    My fault for staying up late last night.
  • sf08003
    sf08003 Posts: 30
    Options
    I just read where Mary Lou Retton said that every now and then, it's good to take a rest. That said, I don't have to tell you that it's tough to get started some days, but the sense of accomplishment is worth it EVERY day! Good luck!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I always make myself workout and feel so good once i'm done!!!
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options
    Tonight was supposed to be my cardio night but since I was so tired I decided to do a quick sculpt routine instead...once I put on the headphones with some good music- and did the routine I was feeling pretty good and strong so I went ahead and did a quick HIIT on the treadmill...just see what you can get done, you may find yourself energized after you start or you may fizzle out and call a quick ten minute workout as good as it's going to get for the night..and tomorrow's another day...good luck....