popcorn question?

samara_334
samara_334 Posts: 22 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
So I'm confused on how many calories popcorn has, if I get a box it says unpopped is a certain amount of calories then a cup poped is usually around 25 calories, but then why is there 100 calorie bags of popcorn? Am I missing somthing?

Replies

• ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    bump
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    3 cups of the 96% fat free popcorn is about 100 calories. But I buy the 100 cal bag popcorn to be safe. That for sure is 100 cal!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    some bags add butter or butter flavored seasonings that add calories. Others may have more than one serving in a bag.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    The 100 calorie bags are about 4 cups of popped corn. They are about half the size of regular bags. Then SOME of the regular bags of tons of butter etc...so they are way more than 25 calories per 1 cup popped
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Always read your label.
    On my popcorn box it says something to the effect of,
    "3 tblsp unpopped, 3 cups popped" per serving.

If you keep reading, it should indicate how many servings are either a) in a bag, or b) in the whole container. If you have just plain air-pop popcorn kernels in a bag, give a quick browse on the Food tab, and do a search for "popcorn air popped" and go with your best guess.
  • samara_334
    samara_334 Posts: 22 Member
    The flying artist, I just have a bag of pop secrete popcorn and its says 3 tsp kernals is 180 and one cup poped is 40 calories. And there is 3 serving in each bagg so 120 calories per bag.... I don't buy the 100 calorie bags because they cost more and u get less bags.
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    I usually go by the "calories per popped cup" number and then measure out the portion I want to eat into a bowl. That way I know exactly how many calories I am consuming and I don't go overboard.
This discussion has been closed.