MFP - how long do you think you'll keep a diary?

Options
So the other day, I came to the conclusion that I'll probably always be a calorie logger, as I've always had problems with portion control and calorie counting. I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I can safely eye a serving of something. It got me thinking if anyone else out there has thought about how long you'll stay on MFP or any other site like MFP.

Do you think you'll be keeping a food and exercise log forever?

Replies

• Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I dont think forvever...I had this account years ago when I was training...then left for a bit and gained and now I;m back :) So, to answer your question I don't think so. :)
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yup. Before I found MFP, I used another calorie tracking website, and before that, a handy dandy notebook and pen in the purse.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    i'm hoping i can stick with it forever; maybe become a little more relaxed about it once i hit my goal weight
  • emilyr9602
    emilyr9602 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 6 weeks now, and I don't see why I would ever stop! I ALWAYS have my Iphone with me everywhere I go, so I have no real reason to ever stop -- even if I do reach my ultimate goal! =)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think I easily could, but I think that it's not really healthy for me to. I'll easily be a slave to it.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I used the diary for 2 days. I don't need it.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I know one thing...when I don't stay on top of it and log or check in I gain weight and when I do (even counting my cheeseburgers and fries bc I still eat those from time to time) I lose weight. My goal is to keep it up until September and then re-evaluate. I am now convinced me + MFP = BFF. Otherwise I weigh 140 lbs which is too much for me.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    So the other day, I came to the conclusion that I'll probably always be a calorie logger, as I've always had problems with portion control and calorie counting. I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I can safely eye a serving of something. It got me thinking if anyone else out there has thought about how long you'll stay on MFP or any other site like MFP.

Do you think you'll be keeping a food and exercise log forever?

YES I will do it forever because being a large framed woman, its easier for me to gain weight and its why even though I'm curerntly at my normal weight I still need to watch out what I eat and keep track of my exercises. Logging in makes you avoid gaining much fat weight.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    I plan to use this even after hitting my goal. Maybe until I am confident in myself to eating my goal.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm planning on logging until I don't need to log anymore. I too have a difficult time with portion control. I know that it will take a loooong time to teach myself how to *crave* healthy things...until then, I'm here :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I don't know that once I hit my goal I'll log as religiously as I do now, but would definitely stick with MFP if for nothing else than the support and friendship that I get from all my MFP friends...also the challenges I participate in help to keep me accountable, so I may participate in more things like that rather than just counting calories in/calories out. For me it's just becoming a way of life and I find myself adding up calories in my head, even if I'm not currently logging them...MFP has definitely made me a lot more mindful of what I'm doing to my body.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I've been at this DAILY for 175 consecutive days (come Saturday). To be honest with you, I don't know how long I will continue to do this. Forever is a definite possibility. I enjoy my time spent on MFP and all the support available here. I refer all the people I know but only a few actually take me up on it. Good luck to everyone on their journeys! :smile:
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    prob. maybe not everyday but if my weight goes up at all even 2lbs week to week im sure id get back on it
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Well let's put it this way...When I don't track what I eat, I gain weight.:/ My dad who is an ultrarunner and my mom completed her first marathon this year told me something as we were discussing healthy lifestyles...They told me although they are in the best shape of their lives, they have to constantly be aware of what they are eating because as soon as they don't, they gain weight. I did not come from a gene pool of high metabolism's and naturally thin individuals. People in my family are in good shape only because they choose that lifestyle and are aware if they aren't mindful and if they dont keep themselves accountable, things will go downhill and they will gain weight fast.

I know personally I'll have to do some sort of tracking whether it be on here or somewhere else for the rest of my life...but if it means I'll be in killer shape and live a long life, I think it'll be worth it ;)
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Forever! I started logging 3 years off then went off because I was pregnant. I don't have 'normal' eating habits so I have to keep track if I want to stay fit.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been logging in some way for almost 4.5 yrs now. It is the only way I can keep my weight off. Took me 1.5 yrs to lose 100 lbs and I have kept it off for 3 yrs now. As soon as I quit weighing or quit logging, I gain weight. I have gained as much as 17 lbs back and I didn't like that feeling!! I love this site, have only been using it now for 2 months, but it is my new home! Like someone else said, with having it on my phone all of the time, it makes it easy!!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have gone without logging when I am in maintenance (I have been on and off MFP since 2007). But when my weight goes up, it is the best way to bring it back down. If keeps me mindful. So, maybe not *every* day forever, but it will always be a useful tool in my life since I do love to eat more than I should.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I foresee me using this until I'm 102 yrs old......lol :flowerforyou:
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at judging portions but I would like to continue logging
    to keep an eye on calories once I make my goal.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I love the diary to keep my macros in check at this point in time, however, I am not the kind of person that can commit to journeling my food for the rest of my life. I have to live a little more freely than that eventually. I have been weaning myself away from using the diary and taking days off from logging here and there. I'm hoping I've learned enough about calorie amounts and good nutrition to not have to depend on it.