Am I crazy?

Options
So, today was yard day. I hate it. Mowing and weedeating. Lots of sweat and puffing. After that, when talking to a friend, I mentioned how much I did not feel like doing the cardio I needed to get in today. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, " You already did it. Record the yard work."

I have bounced this idea back and forth in my head all day. I even got on MFP and was shocked to find it listed in the exercise database. Also found housecleaning. Seriously, house cleaning?

I just couldn't do it. It didn't seem to me like yard work should count as exercise. Its just one of those things that needs to be done. Sure, I probably burned a few calories, but isn't that already considered when the calorie numbers are determined?

So, do you all count the "everyday activities" in as cardio? Am I the only one who doesn't?

Replies

• c00ncc
    c00ncc Posts: 55
    Options
    LOL...You aren't crazy. I do not count "daily activities" as cardio because I know I do not burn as many calories as I do when I'm in the gym. But if that is the only excersize that is being done maybe you could count it.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Actually I know people who wear HRMs and they burn A LOT of calories doing yard work (~700 for a couple hours of work). Go ahead and count it - it's a workout!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I dont count cleaning the house because its an everyday type activity that has already been estimated into my calorie allowance, but the yard work I would count.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I typically do not count that stuff but yes you can count it. The company I train with actually told me to use cleaning and yard work type activity for my fat burning workouts. Many people have a hard time staying in the fat burning zone and some of the everyday activities are the best way to do it.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely depends on how much effort you put into the house work and the yard work. I don't generally count my daily dish washing or floor sweeping, but the other day when my fiance and I cleaned non-stop for 3 straight hours unpacking boxes and sweating like crazy, I counted it.

My suggestion would be to add it in, but definitely underestimate it calorie-wise, as I feel MFP overestimates calories burned in their database. Unless you wear an HRM, it's best to just underestimate calories burned so you don't trip yourself up thinking you can eat more calories than you actually should.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So, today was yard day. I hate it. Mowing and weedeating. Lots of sweat and puffing. After that, when talking to a friend, I mentioned how much I did not feel like doing the cardio I needed to get in today. She looked at me like I was nuts and said, " You already did it. Record the yard work."

I have bounced this idea back and forth in my head all day. I even got on MFP and was shocked to find it listed in the exercise database. Also found housecleaning. Seriously, house cleaning?

I just couldn't do it. It didn't seem to me like yard work should count as exercise. Its just one of those things that needs to be done. Sure, I probably burned a few calories, but isn't that already considered when the calorie numbers are determined?

So, do you all count the "everyday activities" in as cardio? Am I the only one who doesn't?

Your "Activity Level" is meant to represent your normal activity in an 8-5 workday, so yes, yardwork counts! I understand how you feel though. I had my mom's puppy here with me to housebreak and socialize her. I figured it was no big deal calorie-wise and didn't record it, as how much could the extra walks add up? Well, instead of my typical 1-2 pound a week loss, I had a 5 pound loss! Apparently, i was on my feet quite a bit more than usual and it did add up!

Also keep in mind that there are some folks here for whom being on their feet AT ALL is physically difficult and painful. Those folks should be logging everything--trip to the grocery store included-as their lifestyle truly is "sedentary".
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Atlantique - the pup in your profile picture is A-DOR-A-BLE!!!!
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    Personally unless I don't count it if it's something I do on a daily basis because then my body is used to it and it's not a work-out but that's my opinion. However, if I was stripping wallpaper or seasonally raking leaves I would probably throw it in there on top of my work-out journal to get as much extra as possible!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I was noticing the same thing with ppl noting yardwork, gardening, housework in the diary, I thought, hmmmmmm
    interesting, but I never do that:noway:

:glasses: Today a buddy on my page listed his walk to the market for a food item he needed
    for dinner...I thought hey! I will log my leisurely walk around target and the plaza mall for today!

I suppose walking is a different story, it's just that I had never considered logging my regular daily activities like that before.
    I still refuse to log housework & stuff like that though. Just seems odd to me:embarassed:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I log things that I don't do regularly. But if it is something out of the ordinary I will log it. I wouldn't log regular housework, but not long ago I painted my kitchen and bathroom and I logged that.
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Check out how many calories golfing 9 holes WITH A CART burns! (Almost enough to cover the beer). Can't get myself to count that against food intake, but logged as a reference.
  • meparker56
    meparker56 Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't count regular housework since it is something that is "expected" to be done. But I would count yard work, that is not an everyday type of work and I doubt the MFP would consider that in figuring everyday calories. I try to only count calories if it is above what I normally would do BEFORE MFP. But I think it's ok to count your yard work! If you were feeling it, it was extra calories being burned! Go for it!! Good luck! :smile:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It depends on how active you classify yourself in your profile. I work a desk job, so if I spend three hours during the weekend doing house work when I would normally be sitting in front of a computer, I might log that.

If you already classify yourself as having an active lifestyle, be careful about entering in those types of activities.