Lean muscle % and calorie requirement

Options
Hi everyone,

After gaining and losing the same 2kg for a month or two I decided to go to see a dietician. She was very thorough, asked me lots about my lifestyle then weighed and measured me including calculating my lean muscle mass. She then used this to calculate how many calories I should be eating and I was surprised to be told that I should be on 1800, when MFP has always recommended around 1500 for me.

Can anyone explain the difference to me in terms of calculating calorie requirements based on lean muscle % versus total weight? It will be interesting to see how I go at my next appointment in terms of weight loss!

Thanks

Replies

• timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    check out my blog on here
    glad to help
    Tim L
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    was it 1800 to lose weight or maintain? I wonder the same thing. I have been lifting for 2 years now and have built a lot of muscle but keep losing and gaining the same 2 lbs as well
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. She said I should lose between 1kg - 2kg in a fortnight at this level of calories. The meal plan she gave me is all natural food, lots of veges and protein but a few high calorie things in there like almond nuts for snacks and avocado which I never used to eat due to the calories...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Muscle requires more calories than fat to stay at the same weight, if that makes sense. Fat is not very active as it's not a site for energy production.
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - so would that mean I have a greater percentage of lean muscle for my weight than average? (to explain the difference between MFP calcs and the dietician calcs?) I probably should have asked what it was, will do so next time. Either way I feel a bit more confident about eating at 1800 now.