Need help eating more calories!

goalishealthy77
goalishealthy77 Posts: 6
edited 6:13AM in Food and Nutrition
Hello everyone! I've been using this site for a week and I'm just starting to check out the message boards. Anyway, I've been working on losing the 40 lbs I gained in high school to get to a healthy weight of 160 for my height 5'9". I'm down to 187 so far and I started using this site midway to manage my eating since I've been home from college. To my surprise, I am eating way more sugar and sometimes more protein than my 1200 cal diet allotment, but I still don't eat enough calories. I come anywhere between 800-1000 everyday. I also exercise 5 days a week and burn up to 600 calories. What should I eat more of to get to the right amount without overdoing it in these areas? I try to stick to 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein, and 1/2 veggies for my meals and I snack on fruit (which has so much sugar!)

Thanks for any feedback :)

Replies

• timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    check mout my blog
    then let me know if I can help
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    There are so many things you could have to add up the calories quickly! It's really not hard to eat over 1,200 calories every day even with healthy and wholesome foods. It's just a matter of portion control. Since it is hard to say what you are eating now without seeing your diary, the best thing to do is to seek out MFP members who have lost a good amount of weight or are close to their goal. Then look through their food diaries for ideas on meal plans. With proper pre-planning, you can meet any caloric intake. Good luck and welcome to MFP!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Nuts, Bananas, Avocado, and Peanut Butter are my favorite high calorie options.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Nuts, Bananas, Avocado, and Peanut Butter are my favorite high calorie options.
  • Thanks! I wasn't sure how private my diary should be since I'm just learning all of this.
  • Thanks! I wasn't sure how private my diary should be since I'm just learning all of this.
  • kmal2t
    kmal2t Posts: 21
    There's nothing wrong with you going over your "suggested" allotments of protein, carbs or sugar especially if its from fruit and such. Just try to eat good sources of these like lean proteins, whole grains and fruits. Your body will adjust and soon you'll be hungry wishing you had 500 extra cals you can eat.
This discussion has been closed.