Cant EAT...Help!!

Options
carajo
carajo Posts: 532 Member
I was kicked in the mouth by a steer while helping my son at the stock show! I lost my front tooth(which has been replaced) and have stitches inside my lip! I have to blend EVERYTHING! I need help staying on top of my calories i am afraid of going to low, and losing muscle. I have been working so hard to stay lean and strong the RIGHT way, i feel like not eating enough is going to set me back, but even through the straw it just hurts! Anybody please suggestions? Please check out my diary as well!!! Thanks so much!

Replies

• timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    protein shakes
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Omigosh, how terrible! I hope you heal quickly. :( Try adding Greek yogurt. It's loaded with protein and you can add other things to give it flavor like vanilla extract, honey, blended berries, applesauce, etc. You could also do protein shakes or fruit smoothies. I'm sure there are a lot of stuff others will think of too.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    How about protein shakes like the body builders drink? What did the docs suggest you eat?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ouch, sorry to hear...I can't imagine the pain.

I'd get a Ninja and blend everything for now.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would suggest full meal replacement shakes. Ensure has been around for ages and provides carbs/protein/fat with vitamins and minerals. They even have a high protein version. You can find it at almost any pharmacy or supermarket.

That's what I did when I couldn't eat, and I did okay. I think I even lost a few pounds.

Edit: This information was originally provided to me by a pharmacist.
  • jamiegirl816
    Options
    you could try ensure or one of the meal replacement drinks that is not for weight loss but only nutrition. those will have lots of vitamins and nutrients you are missing out on. sorry to hear about your accident. that sounds awful. maybe say something to your doctor, he may have ideas or suggestions too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Ouch ouch ouch! I'm cringing just thinking about it. Speedy recovery vibes for you. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I had jaw problems years ago where I could only open my mouth 14mm without pain, and I pretty much lived on soup, jello, yogurt, ice cream, mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes with cheese melted in it was the best. It felt the most like "real" food.
  • alight494
    alight494 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    go and get a jar of good protein powder than you can blend in with your foods, you can also help by adding fiber powder to the diet..
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Thanks sooo much everyone!! Ive got breakfast down protein shake, peanut butter, banana and oatmeal blended..its actually really good and good for you! Its just eating smoothies or shakes is getting horrible, i feel like i need something to sustain myself! tonight i seriously blended a sweet potato with almond milk and microwaved it! My calories are low because you can only drink so much food ;) i love food, but right now its a chore! i workout EVERYDAY and i dont want this to affect my lifestyle damn it haha!!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I don't have any helpful advice... although I was thinking about protein shakes...
    but wanted to say sorry to hear about your run in with the steer & I hope you heal quickly.
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your pain. Been kick by horses before. Super painful.

I am with you right now. I just had my front teeth extracted last week to get dentures. I still can't chew anything for real. A couple months ago I bought the Ninja blender, because I knew that I was getting this done.

I have been eating fruit smoothies with added fiber powder.
    blended cauliflower to make mock-mashed potatoes
    blended shelled soybeans (edamame), zucchini, and peas with a cup or so of water with lemon pepper seasoning. Kind of a veggie soup. I blend it up really fine and I am sure that it would fit through a straw. The soybeans are a good source of protein.
    cup o soup cream of chicken soup (high in sodium so I only have it once a day.)
    laughing cow cheese wedges are really soft, not as good as regular cheese. But nice as a snack.

Hope this helps.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that's terrible! You can make your own protein shakes with cottage cheese, too. Add fruit, honey, ice and away you go!

For something warm, you could make a vegetable soup - I LOVE this recipe: Peel and slice 2 acorn squash, quarter 2 white onions, and chop a bag of celery and put it all in a roasting pan with a bag of baby carrots. Sprinkle some olive oil on top (about 2 tbsp), and some pepper. Throw it in the oven at 300ºF for 90 minutes. When it comes out, blend it all together with 2 L (8 cups) of chicken stock. If your blender isn't big enough, you can blend a bit at a time. Or, if you have a hand-blender, you can do it right in a stock pot. This is delicious - especially if you make it the day before you want to eat (or drink) it. I store individual servings in the fridge for up to 10 days.

There's only a trace of protein in that soup from the chicken stock, so you'd have to make sure you've got enough protein from your other drinks during the day...

I wish you a speedy recovery!!
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options
    Ditto on the protein powder. Whey protein is good.

I've eaten a lot of blended food. Lots of things you can blend that will provide sustenance. I use a vita mix to blend. If it's too thick just add water.

Spinach (frozen kind is convenient)
    Peanut butter or soy butter
    Yogurt
    Bok Choy
    All manner of fruit, bananas are awesome!
    Cacao powder
    Lettuce
    ground flax seed
    Dates
    Raw eggs (the salmonella risk is exaggerated in my opinion)

Be creative. You can mix fruit and veggies too. Bananas, spinach and cacao powder with raw (low temp process) agave syrup is delicious. Lettuce and pineapple is really good. Bok ckoy and fruit is good too.

You can also juice if you have a juicer. But you run the risk of upsetting your fructose to fiber ratio and thus tax your liver (ie store the fructose as fat).

The reality is this is probably a bit of a setback fitness wise but you'll bounce back once you're healed up.
    Get well soon.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was kicked in the mouth by a steer while helping my son at the stock show! I lost my front tooth(which has been replaced) and have stitches inside my lip! I have to blend EVERYTHING! I need help staying on top of my calories i am afraid of going to low, and losing muscle. I have been working so hard to stay lean and strong the RIGHT way, i feel like not eating enough is going to set me back, but even through the straw it just hurts! Anybody please suggestions? Please check out my diary as well!!! Thanks so much!

A little over a year ago I was bit by a stray dog. I had stitches inside my mouth all the way across my bottom lip. I was not able to eat solid foods for about a month. After eating all the soft foods for a week I wanted real food. I started blending everything I could. I even blended a baked potato with sliced beef because I wanted meat. It looked a little funny and took awhile to blend but it tasted really good. I probably had more trouble blending it since I had a cheap blender. Good luck with everything!