Standing Ab Work

Options
Roxie65
Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
I have been diagnosed with Bilateral Postirior Vertigo so I can't lay down on the floor to do ab work and I don't feel like my lower abs get worked with standing ab routines, does anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• jenn50
    jenn50 Posts: 81
    Options
    Maybe do something where you raise your legs to your chest.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    put both arms straight up in the air. bring your right knee up, and right elbow down at the same time to meet. Your knee should be at a 90 degree angle when it meets your elbow. Hold this position for a 10-count, then switch to the other side. Repeat ten times.

Or hanging knee lifts.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Google the subject and you will find info about this, including video showed in results that I searched.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    It's called the "vacuum" exhale completely, suck in your stomach and hold for 15 seconds. You can intensify it by facing a wall and pushing at the same time. You can do this sitting, standing and driving. It does help. Good Luck!
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    I have great routines just for people who cannot get on the floor
    lordsfitness@aol.com
    also check my blog on here
    I CAN HELP!!
    Tim L
  • spinurbuttoff
    Options
    Hula Hoop!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Bilateral Postirior Vertigo so I can't lay down on the floor to do ab work and I don't feel like my lower abs get worked with standing ab routines, does anyone have any recommendations?

These are tough and you should be able to do a couple of them at least: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/iron_core_how_to_build_a_punchproof_body
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Yes! Use the pull-up bars and tricep dip bars to do leg lifts raising your whole leg straight out. You can also bring your knees up to your chest. Try sitting on the floor and using a medicine ball. Sit with your feet on the ground, your knees raised, and leaning back slightly. Hold the medicine ball with both hands and touch the ball to the left side, then the right side, 15 times. Do this for 2-3 sets. You can also work with a partner and, while you are sitting, throw the ball to a person who is standing. Play hot potato with it. You must maintain your form as you pass the ball and catch it.

Can you do any variations of The Plank? There are wonderful core exercises based on that exercise.

I think that's all I've got. Good luck! Also, go online and find some ab routines that use medicine balls and resistance bands. You'll find some great exercises that can accomodate vertigo.
  • P90XLE
    P90XLE Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try Insanity Cardio Abs.
  • jackrokal
    jackrokal Posts: 18
    Options
    Try jack knives, they are like a standing crunch. Extend both arms over head and bring them down while you kick up one leg, meeting in the middle, then the other and keep going at a decent speed. Just learned this from Jillian Michaels six week ab video- there are a bunch of standing exercises on there using weights.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Maybe do something where you raise your legs to your chest.

Captains Chair

Considered one of the most effective ab exercises out there. To get an even harder ab workout in, keep your legs straight raising them to waist high or even higher like in a pike position.
    as in BabyDuchess' link and natskedat's rec
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Hula Hoop!

I second this!!! I just got a weighted hula hoop yesterday. It's a great workout for the abs for sure, as well as your entire core.