Pre/Post Workout Foods

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
What does everyone eat before a hard workout and after a hard workout?? Is there anything in particular that is your favorite thing... or has worked really well for you!?!?!

I ask because tonight it was about 830 pm when I went for a jog/walk (we are in a heat advisory so I didn't want to get too hot, is why I went later in the evening!) but I still hadn't had a 'sit down' dinner or anything. Which I normally don't anyways because I'm so busy and I don't cook - I usually just choose healthy snacks all throughout the day - But I figured I should put something in my tummy before the jog/walk and all I could find around my house was my "Zone" bars - (i had already had one today!) So i thought that was better than nothing.. now I'm home and it's almost 10 pm and I should probably eat something - but am having a hard time deciding on what to eat (I do know that I need to though)...

so.. What to PLAN to eat before workouts?!
AND what to PLAN to eat after workouts?! / especially since I have been working out in the evenings ..??! THANKS

Replies

• satch45
    satch45 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well, I know the label on my protein powder says that it's good to take it before AND after a workout, so there's one option right there.
  • sarah307
    Options
    that's what I was thinking too! but I just feel like that's a lot of protein powder! IDK! I never get enough protein anyways! ... thinking of making another smoothie with the protein powder :)
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4_UY_kIPFU&feature=channel_video_title he's very helpful in general and has no agenda unlike many people out there.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There are some healthy snacks that can double as small meals (I usually end up having 4 or 5 of these in the day) that I like to have for this purpose--one about an hour and a half to half an hour before the workout, depending on how much time I anticipate needing to digest before the workout, and then another one half an hour or so after the workout. Ideally you want complex carbs, protein, and healthy fats in the mix, so I usually try to combine two things that go together in that way. Some options I frequent are an apple with a tablespoon of all-natural peanut butter (low-fat usually just means added sugar, and I'd rather have more fat), greek yogurt with Nature's Path Optimum Slim cereal, 1/2 c refried beans and 10 Food Should Taste Good multigrain chips, one slice of Orowheat Health Full bread with mustard, pickles, and a generous amount of deli chicken or turkey, etc. In general, I think combining (low glycemic index) fruit and nuts is a good option for pre-workout. Also this afternoon I was feeling hungry and droopy but it wasn't quite time for dinner so I got a tall nonfat latte from Starbucks with no sugar or anything and it gave me the perfect caffeine fix plus healthy balance of nutrients (except now I'm way over on sugar for the day what with fruit and dairy).
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also if you're having trouble getting enough protein and you like crunch and a little salt like I do, pick up some soy nuts! They're awesome. Pretty caloric so you have to ration them carefully, but they have a ton of protein and when you're eating them it seems like any other crunchy snack, but really it's soybeans.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4_UY_kIPFU&feature=channel_video_title he's very helpful in general and has no agenda unlike many people out there.

haha, I subscribed to his channel! he's funny and this helped THANKS!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it's late and you don' t wat to eat try a glass of milk. I read once that this is great after a workout because it contains protein and carbs. If you're hungry, eat, but if not this might be a good thing to try.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Also if you're having trouble getting enough protein and you like crunch and a little salt like I do, pick up some soy nuts! They're awesome. Pretty caloric so you have to ration them carefully, but they have a ton of protein and when you're eating them it seems like any other crunchy snack, but really it's soybeans.

GREAT IDEA! I am going to get these when I go to the store tomorrow :) I have a horrible time with proteins (as I don't eat red meat) so i've been trying to get protein in crazy ways! I do LOVE almonds :)
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Lovin' me some shakeology :)
  • RandiSpicer
    Options
    Chocolate Milk! I just learned from a friend that it is a great after workout snack!
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I get home from the gym at 10pm also. I eat a 2 egg omelette with tuna/sweetcorn most nights. I try and fit this in before the gym but rarely happens due to time constraints so I have it when I get home.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning (or when I wake up) so I have muesli with soya milk and natural yoghurt and chopped banana. I let that sit while I have a coffee and mess around on facebook, then when I feel my stomach is settled, i go exercise. I've been spending a lot of time doing different things, so if I go for a cycle after my run I grab a piece of fruit or a greek yoghurt or sometimes even a tin of sardines before I head out the door again.
    Afterwards I was going straight for a tin of tuna, either by itself or part of a salad, but I've just bought my first protein shake so now I do that (32g, 114cal, 1g carbs, 26g protein) as it goes down easier and is cheaper than the tuna I buy.