Burn calories from sweating?

Options
Our AC just went out today & it's now about 87 in our house. I did my 15 minute exercise in this temperature too. Can you burn calories just from sweating like crazy in the heat?

Replies

• brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so, If you can, i would be burning a ton of calories driving lol
  • Walexis01
    Walexis01 Posts: 1
    Options
    I sure hope so.:wink:
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I think so! But drink lots of water, so you don't get dehydrated...sorry your AC bit the dust. Hopefully, you can get it fixed soon!
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hope so, it was like 109 here today. Worse, inside I was shivering from the cold a/c. Gotta be worth something... I didn't count it though...
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    That stinks! Ours went out last year when I was 7 months pregnant....it was horrible! We used tax money to get a new one this year.....I can't live without air!!
  • runawaydoll19
    runawaydoll19 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Answering the Question: Does Sweating Burn Calories?

Sweating is a very common problem, and one of the questions that involve sweating that is asked most is does sweating burn calories? There is no real one answer to this question, as instead there are in fact a few different things that need to be taken into consideration here.

Does Sweating Burn Calories?

When it comes to the question of does sweating burn calories, one of the most important things to realize is that it really depends on why you are sweating. For instance if you are sweating while exercising, then you are in a way burning calories because you are being physically active and working off calories that were stored in your body.

If you are having night sweats, on the other hand, where you are sweating while sleeping, then you are still burning a few calories, but not nearly as many as you do while you are exercising.

How it Works

When working out aerobically, the large muscle groups in your body demand oxygen, which then places an oxygen debt on the body. Then when large amounts of oxygen are breathed in the body then uses that oxygen in order to produce heat, which thus results in the sweating.

This is why for the question of does sweating burn calories, you need to understand that yes, most times when you are sweating you are still burning calories, although not as many when you are purposely being physically active to burn them.

However, also in regards to the question of does sweating burn calories, you need to know that there are also the instances in which you are sweating and yet not burning any calories at all, for instance when you are in a sauna. When you go into a sauna you are not burning any calories, you are merely sweating. Any weight loss that is incurred is likely to be water loss from perspiration, and then it will be regained as soon as you leave the sauna and drink fluids.

Basically, sweating is just a way to cool your body so that you don't overheat, and some people prefer to workout in ways that actually make them sweat, so that they feel like they have worked hard, for instance with Bikram yoga. Then there are other people who enjoy to sweat while working out because they feel that it is cleansing and releasing toxins from their body.

Either way, the point is that if you are looking to burn calories you need to do cardiovascular and strenuous activities that are actually going to work you out and burn the calories, and not just sweat.