Separate food habits than your significant other

Options
My husband is in the military and deployed at the moment. I've noticed when he's here I gain a few pounds. Well I think it's because I eat different than him. When he's here we eat the same meals together.

When he's gone I eat alot of veggies, fish, chicken, healthy snacks, etc.... When he's here we tend to eat a lot more red meat. I only eat red meat once maybe twice a month if he's away. One thing we really enjoy doing as a couple is cooking together! So my question is, how do you do it? Does your significant other eat different than you?

Replies

• Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    My husband is in the military and deployed at the moment. I've noticed when he's here I gain a few pounds. Well I think it's because I eat different than him. When he's here we eat the same meals together.

When he's gone I eat alot of veggies, fish, chicken, healthy snacks, etc.... When he's here we tend to eat a lot more red meat. I only eat red meat once maybe twice a month if he's away. One thing we really enjoy doing as a couple is cooking together! So my question is, how do you do it? Does your significant other eat different than you?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Military wife here too!

Yes, my husband eats differently than I do. At least he did. In the course of a year of living together (we were married 6 months ago) we have both gained 15 pounds (I was already 20-30 pounds overweight!!). Now that he had to buy new jeans because he can't squeeze into his old ones, he's eating better, not suggesting Wendy's, not suggesting pizza, and even keeping me on track!

Before that, though, I kept foods for us both, but in seperate areas. I'm a visual person, so if I see it, I want it! It worked pretty well until we moved and had fast food for about a month straight:noway: .

It takes a little bit of planning, but you can make it work....or just purchase healthier versions of his fav foods!

:flowerforyou:
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Hhahaha :laugh: I'm laughing because those moves do kill a healthy eattin plan don't they?
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wish my hubby ate the same as me. I have my kids eating like me but can not convert him. He loves red meat. I eat no red meat just chicken. So alot of making two different dinners which can suck but its worth it to me...

Alisha
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    YES! Most of the time I try and cook the same...but I've also learned I can't eat the same portions as him...I up the veggies and eat less pasta or potatoes. I also divide up things (like if I'm making mashed potatoes) and take out mine before I add extra butter and salt to his! I've also learned he'll eat what I cook. So I've done more chicken (although we still have a lot of red meat in our diet).

Also a lot of times when we have steak instead of having potatoes with it (which I still make for him) I'll make a salad and slice up the meat to go over it. This saves me all the calories from the potatoes and pasta.

ETA: Most of the weight I'm trying to lose is post deployment weight :laugh: If he would deploy again I know I could lose this really easy! :tongue:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My kids will eat most things I eat, but my hubby is so picky about his food - always has been!
    I find it easier to cook one meal for us, and a separate one for him - that way, I don't eat the wrong things.
    None of us eat much red meat anyway so that's a bonus - maybe the odd slice of beef once or twice a year, or bacon on the rare occassion.
    My hubby would rather eat chips and crisps, and unfortuntely - it shows !!!
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Yeah, my husband is 6'9", so he eats a lot more than I do, especially during his season.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hhahaha :laugh: I'm laughing because those moves do kill a healthy eattin plan don't they?

Yes!! Especially moving from one upstairs apartment to another. Lord!
  • tekrueger
    Options
    An ex husband side of the story here:
    Yah, it can be a problem for the couple too. It was for me and my ex wife! I really suggest you talk with them and get it out, in the open if it isn't already so it does not become ever an issue and "a problem" :(

I think it's great to hear that you couples can find way to still eat and cook together eventhough your husbands have different desired diets than you do.
    Great idea about portion sizes and setting aside your food before his too, so you can cook together and eat the same foods too :)
    Keep it up :happy:
    Thomas
  • ginnie
    ginnie Posts: 44
    Options
    my boyfriend and I eat so different it's almost hard to eat when he's eating, most of the time I fix my own dinner and he fixes his. that’s the only way I can't do this. even if he's eating 6 burgers next me lol :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    We used to eat very differently...I started this lifestyle long before he did. He was still drinking regularly and eating a lot of fast food. Now we make big casseroles or other things that stay good in the fridge for a while and both eat them. It saves a ton of money.
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    My boyfriend and I tend to eat separate things. I have stomach issues so I always make something different for myself. I found when I was eating the same foods as him, it was always terrible and I gained about 10 pounds
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Lol I may sound mean but I dont give him a choice and he doesnt really care. I do all the cooking and have it ready when he gets home. He wouldnt dare face the wrath of not eating a dinner I made him. Sometimes I get little comments about how why is the rice brown and he can taste the light taste in the mayo or salad dressing but hey the mans gotta eat so I give him two options, the dinner I make or he can starve or fend for himself and eat a pack of top ramen. He has never chose the top ramen:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My DH thinks all the icecream in the world disappeared. I whispered this in his ear as he slept...noooo moooore iiiiiiiice cream.....

He yelled at me one day " I need MEAT!"

It was so funny we both cracked up.

He has lost 11 pounds and hasnt even tried, me 20 with working out 3x a week. Oh well.

I cook, he eats, no questions.