For some reason I can't stop....

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
Snacking is a hard thing for me. If it's in front of me, I eat it. If it's opened in the pantry (crackers, pita chips, etc) I open it up and grab a couple.

Lately it's been peanut butter. I just dig my knife in and eat bite after bite. Probably consuming 2 servings at least. There's no reason I do it, I just do. I'm the only one that eats peanut butter (hubby's allergic) and right now for some reason I have no self control. I did add it to my diary today to see where that put me and I'm ashamed of myself. :(

I'm almost tempted to just throw the jar out....

Replies

• gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a huge peanut butter anything fan. I have the same problem. but I've been taking a tablespoon and putting it in a bowl. cutting up a gala apple or fuji apple. and putting the peanut butter on that. I do it for a snack and make myself put the rest back. sometimes i take an extra dip of peanut butter but it has helped with more self control. as for the other snacks. I guess you have to tell yourself you won't get where you want to be if you snack on something less healthy.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Seriously if you feel you don't have the control you need right now to stay out of the jar throw it out. I have had to do that with things in the past...... (ie) Nutella.......I would dig in and eat it straight out of the jar with a spoon. I now have Nutella in the cupboard and only have a little some times.......it isn't controlling me right now.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    with an allergy in the family I'm surprised you have it in the house. throw it out if you can't control and replace with something else-
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good snack for protein.. try putting some on some celery or apples :P
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If it is something you don't want to have then you can get rid of it. I use to be snacky with crackers..wheat things! I just got rid of them and it stopped happenign with those. I only have been bringing stuff in the house that I'm okay eating. Also, I use Shakeology as a meal replacement and the snacking has lowered a lot! I love that!
  • megankayden
    megankayden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...with anything with sugar in it...if you find a way to turn your brain off of sugar let me know plz..I have no will power against it. I heard if you go on a sugar "cleanse" and take all refined sugar out of the diet as much as possible then you eventually stop craving it. I am going to try.
  • stephiebabe44
    stephiebabe44 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Then throw the jar out. I was the same with peanut butter, I would put it on apple, bread, ryvita and I would layer it on thick. But its so much fat so I just threw the jar out and gave myself a break from it. I bought the all natural peanut butter and have a bit on my toast each morning and I'm fine with that. Try not to stress so much, if those crackers etc work into your calories then I wouldn't be worried. Or just try not buying them for a while and give yourself a break from temptation. At some point something will click and you will gain some self discipline back :smile: I hope that helped a little.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter....good source of protein and kills my sweet craving......But I get a bown and dole out one serving and put the container away. That way, I am only consuming a serving....and without the container in front of you to tempt you, that should help...
  • Panthers2010
    Options
    I am the same way at night... I won't be hungry at all, but I will walk into the kitchen to get a drink and BAM! it's like a magnet. I grab the food and I am munching away at dorito's, string cheese, or popcorn (the cheddar kind that stains my fingers... my boyfriend always calls me out on it).

A while ago, I tried to guilt myself into saying no... I took a photo of myself at my skinniest and I taped it to the fridge. For a while, it helped, people that came over thought I was a little weird I am sure (as I have only one photo hanging on the fridge and it's me in a bikini) but to hell with them - it worked. Now, I don't bother to even look at the door of the fridge, I just open it up grab the food and catch a glimpse of my former self as I am shoving an oreo in my pie hole and chugging some milk.

Throwing out the peanut butter isn't going to help, you will just find something else to munch on. If you crave the peanut butter, you may be lacking protein or some other essential nutrient that your body needs; but if you just munch on it because it's convenient, tastes creamy and delicious... then tossing it might help.

If you are anything like me, you will get that thought of peanut butter in your head and keep thinking about it until you finally give in. Biggest suggestion, measure it out. Allow yourself to have some peanut butter, pita chips, dorito's or oreo's, but measure it out. Put the remaining amount away and walk away. You give into the craving, but you don't go wild and you can limit yourself to one unplanned snack per day. Seems to help me... GOOD LUCK!!
  • utes09
    Options
    The crackers and stuff I'm better with this week it's just been the peanut butter.

Having it in the house doesn't bother my husband. He just says in smells bad and I put the utensils or measuring spoons I use somewhere he wouldn't accidentally use them until they can be washed.

I think for the time being I'll hide it in my pantry and get protein another way and really focus on my self control. Telling myself that I put a tablespoon on my diary...I will only eat a tablespoon, no extra. And especially no going and just eating out of the jar when my husband takes a shower or whatever. He'd be mad at me. I need to put that voice in my head. OOooh maybe I'll put a sticky note on the jar telling me not to eat it.

I respond well to notes. I have others in my pantry that used to say "No snacking, Stick to pal." That's why the chips/crackers aren't a problem anymore.
  • utes09
    Options
    Measuring doesn't help cuz I'll measure out what I put to have and then just eat more too. lol.

Or like tonight I'll just randomly go eat a ton out of the jar. I'm going to not have any planned on my diary til at least Monday. I stuck it way back in my pantry (I need a chair to get to it) and I'm going to put it out of my mind. Monday I'll plan on some oatmeal with a tablespoon added and challenge myself to only have that tablespoon.

I respond really well to challenges. I hate people telling me I can't do something. I have to prove people wrong if they doubt me.

MFP fam would someone mind challenging me?? Challenge me that when I have PB that I won't be able to just eat what I allotted. Why I can't just do that in my own mind. I don't know.
  • utes09
    Options
    I had a good cry and talk with my hubby last night and the feeling I had committed me not to go and snack anymore on the PB...to be conscious of what I am doing. I won't let it control me.