NSV PA vs. The Treadmill

PA21
PA21 Posts: 95 Member
I KICKED IT IN THE FACE.

Ok, not really. I did however run a mile today! My first mile EVER. I run really slow (this I realized was the key for me doing C25K) at 6.5 kph (~4 mph) with 1 min sprints every 8 minutes. I am built like a hobbit (very short, round legs and flat feet). Well, I did it. I was so excited I sent text messages to all my friends, made it my FB status AND high fived the random chick on the treadmill next to me!
Anyone that is having trouble jogging/running- stick with it! Keep POSITIVE (while on the treadmill) and don't give up. You can do it! If my fat @$$ can chug along and run a mile, you can too!

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Good for you! Here's to the many miles to come :drinker:
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Well done you! I'm only up to 400m on the C25K!
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Congrats!! I'm getting ready to start up the jogging/walking, and hopefully get to running! :flowerforyou:
  • jlew75
    jlew75 Posts: 10
    Congrats!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Great work!! What a fantastic achievement :) Keep going on to your next mile!!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Way to go! Plus, LOL at the hobbit thing. I'm sure your feet aren't as hairy!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Fantastic job!

*sniffle, sniffle* We always get emotional about our first mile. :wink:

And to be honest, that first mile is THE HARDEST thing you're going to do, running-wise. Once you've kicked that in the face, you can go any distance you want.
  • PA21
    Fantastic job!

*sniffle, sniffle* We always get emotional about our first mile. :wink:

And to be honest, that first mile is THE HARDEST thing you're going to do, running-wise. Once you've kicked that in the face, you can go any distance you want.

Aw thank you! That means a lot coming from someone as inspirational as you! I can't believe it, now 1 mile is going to seem so simple!

It's such a mental game. I can actually control my HR while I'm running. I also do this little trick to keep it positive. I think about my feet, feel them running and I thank them for keeping me going; I think about my ankles, how they are keeping my feet steady and stable, and I thank them; I think about my calves, and how they are pumping blood to my feet and back up to my heart and how hard that must be and I thank them, etc. and so on! By the time I get to the tips of my eyelashes, a lot of time has gone by and my body is feeling pretty proud of itself!
  • Im starting the C25K today !
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Great job...such a good feeling isn't it?
  • PA21
    Great job...such a good feeling isn't it?

Truly is!
    I'm *still* high off it.
    C25K is amazing- but I was trying to run way too fast. I did much better when I slowed down and paced myself. So if you are doing C25K and struggling, my big piece of advice is slow down the JOGGING/RUNNING portion (keep up the pace walking). You'll be able to run farther, then you can work on the speed :)
  • PA21
    Way to go! Plus, LOL at the hobbit thing. I'm sure your feet aren't as hairy!

.... they kind of are.
    But I can make a mean pint o' ale!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!