Eating - sitting 122 calories in 1 hr
Taking a Shower 82 calories in 30 min
Cleaning - house or cabin, general 122 calories in 30 min
Shopping - groceries, with cart 94 calories in 30 min
Walking - with dog 122 calories in 30 min
Running - 6 mph 408 calories in 30 min
Dressing and Undressing 82 calories in 30 min
Watching - TV or movie 163 calories in 2 hr

The bit which I hadn't really thought about is that when I log exercise calories for an hour in the gym I never subtract the 'normal' calories for that time.... so lets say I do an hour of free weights, aprox 230 cals, I should really subtract 120 calories which I would burn if I was at home doing regular stuff... so I'm only actually 110 calories better off.

Before anyone else says it - I know that weight training isn't the best example - it builds up muscle which then consumes more calories over time, even at rest - plus it tones your body etc. I know that I am better off doing a 30 minute run (I'm a little faster than 6 mph so closer to 500 calories) - BUT I still should subtract 60 to get my 'extra' calories - right?

Anyone else have a view on this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, technically you should log the cals minus what you would burn anyway if u were just sat at home doing nothing. I guess it depends how accurate you want to be. I dont bother as its a rough enough guide for what i want, but i know others on here do.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For me that is just getting way too technical. There are several things I don't log that I do daily (cleaning, running after kids, going up and down teh stairs close to 50 times a day, walking the dogs to go to the bathroom, lifting and carrying the littler kids,.... That is just aprt of my daily activity level already included in my MFP profile. I'm taking all the calories I burn when i am focusing solely on exercising.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For me that is just getting way too technical. There are several things I don't log that I do daily (cleaning, running after kids, going up and down teh stairs close to 50 times a day, walking the dogs to go to the bathroom, lifting and carrying the littler kids,.... That is just aprt of my daily activity level already included in my MFP profile. I'm taking all the calories I burn when i am focusing solely on exercising.

I totally agree! I don't log when I'm cleaning the house, or walking to the corner store, or even walking around WallyWorld for an hour....but I do log every calorie burned during my time at the gym. I may earn an extra 20-30 while stretching or cleaning off the machines between "actual" exercsies but it all works out in the end.
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The bit which I hadn't really thought about is that when I log exercise calories for an hour in the gym I never subtract the 'normal' calories for that time.... so lets say I do an hour of free weights, aprox 230 cals, I should really subtract 120 calories which I would burn if I was at home doing regular stuff... so I'm only actually 110 calories better off.

Anyone else have a view on this?

If you don't normally log your everyday normal activities such as you have mentioned here in your example as "regular stuff" in the first place, then why would you deduct them from the work out you had at the gym. If you sit and watch TV you burn "X number" of calories and if you work out at the gym you burn "X number" of calories. One has nothing to do with the other in my opinion. A burn is a burn and you can log whatever you think is important to log, but just like others have said here, I only log my gym/workout calories burned. If i (or you) really wanted to get super technical I (you) could also log house cleaning, TV time, chasing after the kids etc.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT true - You base calories (watching TV etc) are included in your daily allowance: You definitely don't want to log them again!
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to politely disagree with you on this. Why would it give me "credit" for something I don't do like watching TV for example. But with that said then, why would you deduct those activities ifrom your work out f it is already taking them into account in your every day living? I think I am missing your thought pattern.

Bottom line is that if I go to the gym and do the elitpical and burn 400 calories, I don't need to deduct "X" number of calories from my work out b/c if I was at home watching TV I would have burned those cals.....I don't watch TV so it's not applicable. Or maybe I am missing the point.