My Plateau at 160...

Options
Hello! So I've been plateauing at 160 or so for the past 6 months or so (I started at 180). I've just started running and I have a really active job that I am at for about 4-6 hours every day. For the most part, I stay under my calories everyday. I usually eat pretty healthy too, but I'm not perfect haha - but I do try to stay within my goals. I do tend to snack a lot, so I think I am going to try to tone down on that.

Has anyone else experienced a plateau around this weight and/or found that they can't eat their exercise calories back? When I was at school I wouldn't eat more than 1,300 calories a day, even when I worked out. When I did that consistently I saw weight loss.

Thanks!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck around 160 forever too:sad: :sad: Still trying to find the answer ~ best of luck!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck around 160 forever too:sad: :sad: Still trying to find the answer ~ best of luck!

Oh God, me too. 160 must be cursed.
  • lsdowney29
    lsdowney29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I to have hit a plateau at 167, down from 182. I have been exercising daily in a circuit gym since November and hit a plateau in March. Yes, I admit, I haven't eaten the best, but I haven't been that bad, I don't think. I was eating 1,500 calories a day plus what I exercised and now I've dropped that down to 1,000 calories a day plus my exercise so we'll see what the give me besides hunger pains. I know diet is a big part of it and it's hard to change that when the rest of the family doesn't need to or want to change. Good luck and don't get down on yourself! I'm sure you've made good strides so keep going!!!
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I tried eating all my exercise cals and gained 3lbs!! I am sticking at 1500/1600 cals..even when I exercise an extra 1500cals some days..I know what works for ME...if you know what works for you ..regardless of what the experts say ..then try that!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, took a look at your food diary and it looks pretty good to me... Except that it's hard to tell with your water intake. If you're not gettting at least 8 cups per day, I'd start making sure you do that. It really does help with weight loss and it's good for your health too!

When you log exercise, do you go by what MFP says the calories are or do you in put from a heart rate monitor reading? If you're using MFP numbers, they tend to overestimate so you may be eating back too many exercise calories - try only eating back half to 2/3rds of those calories.

What is your goal set at? When I first started, I went with 1 pound per week and found it was a bit too many calories for me. Upped the goal to 1.5 pounds per week and that seemed to make all the difference becasue my weight started dropping again. I just needed those 200-300 calories less to give some wiggle room for the week (since I usually have at least one cheat day).

The only other suggestion I can think of is to maybe mix up your exercise routine with something new? If you're doing the same thing all the time and not either changing up the amount of time or intensity, your body will get used to it and stop responding as well. Add weights, try running intervals, buy a new workout DVD - whatever the dase may be.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 147-150 for the past few months. This may be where I end up. I was hoping to get to 130 but scale isn't moving lower. I spin, run, and do weight lifting, averaging about 10 hours a week, and eat 1200-1500 calories a day, not counting another 3-4 hours per week walking with my dogs. I don't think I can add any more exercise or lower food intake and be able to maintain that regimen for long. I've tried adding some protein calories but that just makes the scale move upwards. Perhaps I should just accept where I am at, although I wasn't expecting to have to exercise so much and eat so little just to maintain 150.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too, then I managed to drop to 148 and I'm stuck there now! Just got to keep going I guess, the alternative is not acceptable! I've decided this is my last ever weight loss regime.....
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    good advice nay shel.. everything i would have said!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hm, took a look at your food diary and it looks pretty good to me... Except that it's hard to tell with your water intake. If you're not gettting at least 8 cups per day, I'd start making sure you do that. It really does help with weight loss and it's good for your health too!

When you log exercise, do you go by what MFP says the calories are or do you in put from a heart rate monitor reading? If you're using MFP numbers, they tend to overestimate so you may be eating back too many exercise calories - try only eating back half to 2/3rds of those calories.

What is your goal set at? When I first started, I went with 1 pound per week and found it was a bit too many calories for me. Upped the goal to 1.5 pounds per week and that seemed to make all the difference becasue my weight started dropping again. I just needed those 200-300 calories less to give some wiggle room for the week (since I usually have at least one cheat day).

The only other suggestion I can think of is to maybe mix up your exercise routine with something new? If you're doing the same thing all the time and not either changing up the amount of time or intensity, your body will get used to it and stop responding as well. Add weights, try running intervals, buy a new workout DVD - whatever the dase may be.

I load up on my water! Haha, especially since I work as a therapeutic horse back riding instructor I am out at the barn and under the sun, so I make sure I am always drinking. My goal is set to a 1.5 pound loss, which has always been pretty good (until now). I do use MFP for my calories lost... but I usually write in my own calories (I usually go 100 calories for 10 minutes with cardio, especially while running. I did this with the elliptical too and still lost).

Sadly I think I'm one of those people that shouldn't be eating exercise calories back haha. I know there is always a big debate about it, but I figure that it really depends on the person.
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have actually been at around 160 for most of the last 13 yrs. I am only 5'2" and am 54 years old so I can't expect to weigh 125 lbs, but I am really not satisfied at the 160 mark either. I experience about the same eating patterns that you expressed. I get so frustrated at times because I really want to break that barrier. I have on a very few occassions dropped several pounds under that weight just to go back up the next week. I really think that this is the weight my body wants me to be at but I don't want to be there. I have tried eating my exercise calories back, and not eating them back and eating half, I have tried exercising more which I typically exercise (mostly cardio I must admit) 5 - 6 days a weeks to backing off and only doing 4-5 days a week, I usually burn 500 to 1000 calories on most days. I also add an occassional strength training in with little success in budging the scale. All the people around are telling me I am building muscle and getting toner because they can see a difference, but I still that fat girl when I look at myself. I started at 199 in Apr. 2010 which I managed to creep up to the last year prior to that, so yes I have lost, but I WANT UNDER 160 and the number on the scale does matter to me!!! You can friend me if you like if you think it might help you to have someone to talk to who is experiencing the same situation.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've been plateaud for 10 weeks. I've tried increasing my calories, lowering my calories, decreasing my carbs, decreasing my exercise, increasing my exercise and increasing my water. Today I set my calories at maintenance and am going to eat maintenance calories for 5 days and take 3-5 days off exercising (I'm aiming for 5 days off but I really enjoy my workouts and with two little boys at home gym time is the only me time I get so we'll see how that goes!). If this doesn't work I'm gonna make an appointment to go see a nutritionist and ask for advice from that end.
    Good Luck, I know how insanely frustrating it is!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I was bouncing between 159/160 for what seemed like a month. I had upped my calories from a pound to half pound and all I did was maintain.. take it back down to a pound a week and bam, weight is coming off.

With the pound a week though, I do eat about half my exercise calories.. esp if I had a big burn that night!