Is it better?

Options
smith18aj
smith18aj Posts: 16 Member
To have a day where you are more than 500 calories under your goal (and even under 1200) or to go over. I'm not talking an everyday thing but sometimes because of health, stress, schedule, etc you just don't have the opportunities/motivation what have you to eat the way you should, the way you normally do. I know in the long run one day way under or one day way over will not do lasting damage but for curiosity and debate's sake which is better? Ready set go...

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was better to go over, but try not to go over 1500. But if you're really struggling to consume 1200 every day, going to about 1000 would be fine occasionally, just don't make a habit of it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    in my opinion it better to go over by a little , than under 1200 is min for a small sedentry woman i'm 50 years old 5'4 and have a desk job if i exesise i eat the calories back and yes i'm losing wieght.

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Being honest...

I've found that this type of hair splitting creates more anxiety and neurotic behavioral patterns. One day truly doesn't matter, which you stated. But it seems that even though many folks realize this... they're still trying to break things down into "right" or "wrong" and either/or categorizations.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was better to go over, but try not to go over 1500. But if you're really struggling to consume 1200 every day, going to about 1000 would be fine occasionally, just don't make a habit of it.

Are you saying don't go over 1500 in your case? Or everyone's case?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Being honest...

I've found that this type of hair splitting creates more anxiety and neurotic behavioral patterns. One day truly doesn't matter, which you stated. But it seems that even though many folks realize this... they're still trying to break things down into "right" or "wrong" and either/or categorizations.

:drinker:
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    I'd say it was better to go over, but try not to go over 1500.

I'd say that this is about as arbitrary as a statement can go. I'd suggest looking up what your Maintenance calories are and try to stay under that on days when you go over. I like to be familiar with what the calorie goals are for a 2 lb, 1.5 lb, 1 lb, .5lb and 0lb loss for myself. As you said, one day won't kill you either way. Remember it took a lot more than one day to get where we were, and it's taken us a lot more than one day to get where we're going.