Weight Loss Pattern

Options
So....I have noticed a pattern in my weight loss.

Every month...for about 2 week I manage to maintain or gain a little. Creeping up 2-3 lbs slowly usually during that time.
Then for 2 weeks I usually lose quite a bit - half a lb or so a day - loosing 8 or so lbs.
All this while maintaining the same level of diet and exercise everyday.

The net effect is that I am definetely moving in the right direction. And I'm not disappointed. My body just clearly has multiple personality disorder.

But whew - is it hard to stay motivated during that 2 week lull. So this is my pep talk to myself - because right now I am there. The past three days in a row I have had little gains every morning.......just reminding myself that I WILL be rewarded on the scale in the future and not get discouraged......

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I follow a similar pattern! It is tough, but knowing to expect it helps soften the blow. It also encourages me to be even more diciplined on the weeks I expect to maintain. I have noticed, that the weeks I maintain are the weeks I see the biggest difference in my clothes fitting looser. So I think maybe that it is my body's way of losing then adjusting. Keep the big picture in mind and keep it up!!:drinker:
  • pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    Could it be related to your TOM? I notice a similar pattern in myself around that time.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would also only weigh yourself 1x a week. It is really hard not to obsess about the scale if you see it every day. Friday morning is my weigh in day and I do it at the gym because their scale is more accurate.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The past three days in a row I have had little gains every morning.......just reminding myself that I WILL be rewarded on the scale in the future and not get discouraged......

Me too and I felt sooooo de-motivated this morning but now I'm about to hit the gym and not give up......cos even though I'm showing as a gain I look in the mirror and I do see positive differences so thinking it must be water retention.
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    Amy - I do the exact same thing, but it took me several months to figure it out. I started logging my weight everyday and finally discovered the pattern. I do weigh myself every day and get a little frustrated on the gain days, but I've looked at my log and would be even more frustrated if I weighed only once a week. Ultimately you know you are netting the loss you want and it is up to you to decide whether continuing to weigh daily is going to motivate or discourage you. I find myself slacking a bit on my exercise during the lull period, but I am still able to keep up the eating portion. Typically, about the time I'm getting really discouraged I see the scale plummet and easily get the exercise back on track.

I would stick with whatever you are doing as it's working. You are doing a great job!
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Amy - I do the exact same thing, but it took me several months to figure it out. I started logging my weight everyday and finally discovered the pattern. I do weigh myself every day and get a little frustrated on the gain days, but I've looked at my log and would be even more frustrated if I weighed only once a week. Ultimately you know you are netting the loss you want and it is up to you to decide whether continuing to weigh daily is going to motivate or discourage you. I find myself slacking a bit on my exercise during the lull period, but I am still able to keep up the eating portion. Typically, about the time I'm getting really discouraged I see the scale plummet and easily get the exercise back on track.

I would stick with whatever you are doing as it's working. You are doing a great job!

Thanks Katie....I agree - I tried to stop weighing every day and if I wait a week and I don't see results I FREAK OUT!!! So I have decided weighing everyday works for me. And I it took me a couple months of logging everyday to see the pattern too. I'm hoping this lull is almost over........ You are doing great too. Hey....my girls will be with the dad for a couple weeks starting on Tuesday. We should get together for sure. Dinner. Go for a walk. Whatever! :)
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options

Thanks Katie....I agree - I tried to stop weighing every day and if I wait a week and I don't see results I FREAK OUT!!! So I have decided weighing everyday works for me. And I it took me a couple months of logging everyday to see the pattern too. I'm hoping this lull is almost over........ You are doing great too. Hey....my girls will be with the dad for a couple weeks starting on Tuesday. We should get together for sure. Dinner. Go for a walk. Whatever! :)

Sounds great!