Someone else doing the cooking. Do you stop logging calorie

Big dinner tonight with friends. Trying to bank up calories today, but logging calories tonight will be too tough. How do you log calories when you eat a large fabulous meal that someone else prepared and don't know the ingredients? Don't want to be furiously tapping on my smartphone's MFP app all evening. These are the situlations where I really need help.

Replies

• RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    how about you just remember and do it later?
    And guesstimate if, of course. Get the key stuff in.

If you are enjoying the food, you'll probably kill your calories for the day anyway, but so what. It's ONE day.

#1 have fun
    #2 don't look like a nerd calorie punching through dinner
    #3 have fun
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    I recognize what i can and log it as well as try to stay away from stuff I don't know how to log (ie. if you can't tell what's in it, it probably isn't good for you)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Just try to eat portion sizes so you can better estimate, and you can look it up roughly later, or if you think you can make an educated guess, do the quick add calories.
  • MsMadmagic
    MsMadmagic Posts: 66
    You could be sneaky and ask for the recipes. Lol!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    I log as best I can when I get home or the next day. That is what wll happen this weekend with picnic foods for me!!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Maybe ask for the recipe? The hostess will be thankful that you enjoyed it so much and you can log it when you get home.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    There is nothing wrong with asking what's in a sauce (more because you are curious than because you are counting calories). It's the same as going to a restaurant - you are guesstimating :) It's better than not tracking at all and if you really are full.. don't eat anymore!!

:bigsmile:
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    I don't have a smart phone so if I am going out or to someone's house I have a food log that is small enough to fit in my purse. I can quickly jot down what I ate and can figure it out later, even if it's just using generic foods instead of their food, ingredient for ingredient. It usually gives me a close enough match for calories. If I don't write it down I tend to eat/snack more than i mean to
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    When my Dad cooks I always ask. Then I guesstimate. He never measures anything.
  • alannablue
    alannablue Posts: 13
    Depending on who it is, I either ask for the recipe and input it myself BEFORE dinner so I know a good portion size, or I pick something similar from a restaurant (or the database) to estimate (I hold the belief that most restaurants don't prepare food healthy). Last night, I had a friend's meatloaf and I picked a random meatloaf entry from the database where the item description sounded like what I ate. Sometimes you just have to guess.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I think learning to make smart choices when you are eating out is part of the process. If it looks like a big meal ahead then go easy on the appertisers, pass on the bread, take reasonable sized portions, ask for a small dessert... that kind of stuff.
    But most of all, appreciate it for the kindness it is and enjoy!
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    I try to find something similar in the MFP database and just guestimate it along with that data.
  • If I am attending a large food gathering then I will always try to complete a great workout in the morning. Usually try to burn 700 -900 calories during the session. I then try to use best judgement and guesstimate the DB entries.

I am planning on attending a BBQ over the 4th weekend. I plan on running at least 6 miles in the morning before going to the event. Once there I will avoid the deserts, fried foods, heavy sauces and limit the alcohol.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    thanks for all the great tips, suggestions, and motivation! I always just give up in situations like this, but I need to learn to handle it. Otherwise a holiday weekend like this could be a real killer!