Amazing Moment - Whats your most intense workout breakthroug

Options
Good morning everyone, I had such an amazing workout this morning. It wasn't one of those hours of working out or burning thousands of calories types of workout. It was a break through type of work out. My first thought was to call my daughter and tell her about this amazing feeling I have but I figured since it was before 7 a.m. she was probably still sleeping. My next thought was I have to share this with my MFP friends!

Background: I started my journey back at the end of January. With all of my health problems and feeling older than I am, I wanted to get healthier and so my journey began. The food part of my journey hasn't been too difficult since I'm diabetic I'm use to watching what I eat. I have my bad days (probably too many to mention) but I just get up the next morning and do better.

My problem has been the exercise part. I have problems with my feet (neuropathy), my ankle (shattered now have pins and plates) and my knee so even when my head wants to do something many times my body just won't work with me. So I've been taking it slow and steady for the last six months. Going to the gym a few times a week for about 30 - 45 minutes walking the treadmill and strength training, doing water aerobics for an hour about 1 or 2 times a week, going to the park... you get the picture. These last couple of weeks I've been soooo not motivated. :yawn: My daughter and I have decided to kick up the exercise part starting July 1st (today) so I got up and went to the gym to begin "phase 2" of my journey.... it was truly a motivation altering experience.

First thing I did was decided that I would begin with the DEVIL machine. For those of you that don't know what the DEVIL :devil: machine is its the Elliptical Machine. I've been wanting to workout on this machine for months now but every time I got up on the stupid thing I would stop and start and my knees and feet would kill me so I would just glare at the stupid machine. Finally the other day I told myself that I am stronger and almost 50 lbs lighter its time to give the DEVIL machine :devil: another try and I did it... I was able to go 5 whole minutes without stopping...afterward I drank like 24 ounces of water, cussed like a sailor and was zapped for energy but I did 5 minutes! I felt good and decided that I would continue to wage war on this stupid DEVIL machine :devil: ... good will Concorde evil!

TODAY I did 10 whole minutes I pushed through it! I felt every fiber of my being pushing those last 3 minutes:sad: , my knees were giving out, my heart rate was really high in the 160s and I was sweating like a pig but I did it... I doubled what I did the other day. Afterward I finished my workout, went to my car to go to work and was so proud of myself for not quitting. I've never felt soooo good after a workout! I just felt like I could take on the world. I want to bottle up the feeling I had so that every time I go to the gym I can open the bottle up and relive the feeling!:bigsmile:

I want everyone to share their Workout Break Through Moments!! Maybe you climbed a set of stairs without panting like a dog, maybe you jogged for the first time, maybe you rode a bike for the first time in 20 years! Whatever your Workout Break Through Moment is share it and how it made you feel and possibly changed your life!

Have a fantastic holiday everyone!!!

Today

Replies

• Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! Keep it up! People will always beat machines, except at Jeopardy!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I had a moment at the end of a spin class. I realized for the first time since I started in April, that I felt strong the whole class long and that I was able to hit the target RPMs the instructor was shouting. First time ever! It was an incredible feeling.
  • tweatherford11
    tweatherford11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Absolutely awesome! I myself got on the elliptical for the first time today. Made it 3 minutes and my legs were on fire! But now I'm inspired to keep working at it and adding a minute each time. Thanks for the story and way to go!
  • blumuse
    blumuse Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    YaY! Horray for you!!!! I know exactly what you're feeling. When I first started going to the gym about a year ago, I could only do about 2 minutes on the Elliptical on the lowest of levels. It's kicked my butt and I thought I'd never, ever be abel to do much on it. My trainer challenged me to do 10 minutes and I laughed. Almost a year later -- I did 40 minutes on very high levels this morning with energy to spare. When I leave the gym I'm proud and feeling strong. I'm addicted to that post-workout feeling! You'll be amazed at how fast you move up on it once you start. Keep focused and determined and the rewards are truly worth it.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I belong to my local YMCA and they have this class named : Cardio Kick, I called it Cardio kick ur azz..... It was my favorite class, but I couldn't ever complete the class at full intensity. The class was once a week on Tuesdays... But as I continued my work outs, my strength training i became stronger and my stamina was improving... the first time I made it through the class and kept the intensity of the class I felt like I had conquered the world....
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I cried when i did my longest run and yesterday played squash for an hour burning 525 calories. Its the dolphins (endorphins).

Actually when i say cried, i didnt it was more just an emotional wave.....no one will understand unless its happened to them.
  • Butterfly310
    Options
    :smile: What a terrific story, and it made me laugh too. I love the DEVIL nickname!!! Keep up the good work, your story is very inspirational!! :happy:
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Mines is with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred level 2. They do walk out push-ups. And for the first week I just did the walk out part and stayed in the plank position. Starting the second week of level 2, I was able to do that whole section of walkout push-up, and actually did real push-ups, not on my knees.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I know the devil machine all to well! lol! I wasnt even able to do 5 minutes, but last week i walked the treadmill for 25 minutes & then i decided what the heck, ill give the elliptical another go, my first trip to the gym in months! I did a hole 30 minutes!! stopped twice only for a second to drink some water! i think i learned to meditate that night. i just closed my eyes, focused on my breathing & listened to my music, "Just keep goin you can do it" i just kept telling myself! It was awesome! i was more proud that night than i had been in a long time!! My 341 LB body did it!! I know how it is to have an injury, I re injuried a ligament fracture in my ankle & it makes it hard to do much of anything, but its pretty good & heal now....Knock on wood! lol! Keep up the awesome work!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    For me the hardest things are balance and jumping. The first time my trainer had me use a Boszu I fell off and landed on her. :blushing: So the first time I managed to do a box jump (the shortest one, probably about 12 inches high) I felt absolutely amazing. It's so great to realize that you can do something that used to totally defeat you.

Congratulations on your major victory!
  • tristajanelle
    Options
    This is awesome! If you keep it up you will be doing 45 minute work outs on that devil machine in no time! Believe you can do it and you will!
  • Marleneaa
    Marleneaa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wow great day!!! I also love my elliptical, I started slow but am up to 24 min :smile:

My amazing moment was today. I just returned from my first yoga class on the beach. I didn't feel like going when I got up but I said I'd be there and know I need to destress as well as exercise. So off I went, the morning was beautiful, to walk onto the beach feel the sand, see the waves, the breeze, it was jsut great. Class was great a bit of a workout and very very relaxing. I ended feeling so wonderful :happy: I can't wait to go again on Monday morning.
    Have a great weekend
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think mine was finishing a 5k race meeting (and beating) my goal time of 32 minutes. I never have been good at running and never have even liked running, so to me, a 10:02/mile pace was a big accomplishment.

Congrats and keep it up!
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Great story and congratulations on the progress. My breakthrough would be when I was able to run for the entire 30 minutes on the treadmill for the first time back in March. Five minutes of running was all I could do when first starting out in January. I ran my first 5k race back in May and have completed two more races.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram Yoga (Yoga in a heated 100 degree room) and the first time I couldn't even finish the last 15 minutes, which was 3 weeks ago. I go about 3 times a week, and first week I was dying!:frown: but i'm the kind of person that like's to try new things and never give up. I went the following week, and then as of yesterday, when I walked into the class, the room wasn't as hot, and the moves were still challenging, but I conquered all moves along with the whole 90 minutes!! My body is feeling leaner in just 3 weeks, my skin is clearing up from all the detoxifying in my body hee hee, I walked out my class last night feeling so refreshed and soooo proud of myself! I can't wait to get to another class and kick butt!:bigsmile:

-Jess from Illinois
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am clapping fiercely for you!!! `~~~~~`````~~~~~~******~~~~~~~clap~~~~~~clap.....
    What a great accomplishment!!! A few months ago, you probably thought it could never happen yet look at you now!!! Our mind is stronger than our being..It can take you on a trip and bring you back...and you will sit back and say I DID IT!!! CONGRATS!!!!